Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 vs 722/44 A/D (comments from SD)  (Read 15568 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V3 vs 722/44 A/D (comments from SD)
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2005, 10:35:55 AM »
Yep, the CS5361 and PCM1804 are completely different chips, so there isn't really a way to run the CS5361 in the V3.

The PCM1804 chip used by the V3 can output DSD data instead of PCM data, though. Tascam already has a rack mount DSD recorder, and is reportedly working on a portable DSD recorder. So will Grace be able to mod the V3 to output a DSD data stream?

I'm going to say it's not possible because the pinouts are different in DSD mode than in PCM mode according to the PDF. DSD uses the L/R clock as the Data clock and the Data clock as the Left output. What was the Data output becomes only the Right output in DSD mode. I'm guessing the output circutry of the V3 would have to be completely realigned.

Also, how would it output the DSD data? As far as I know, right now there is no way to digitally transmit DSD from one device to another. Not that I don't think that'd be solved, but until that is, it makes creating a "DSD V3" much harder.

Yep, it is really pretty unlikely, at least for existing units.  Though it might not be too hard to redesign the V3 to make a V3.5 that has the option of outputting DSD data.  (We all know that there are greater things in store for the V4. :P )  Certainly the 1804 chip design allows for designs that can output a choice of PCM data or DSD data, since the Tascam DV-RA1000 that uses the 1804 is already doing it.  The pinouts of the 1804 aren't completely different for DSD, it just has a few pins doing double-duty for operation in PCM mode vs DSD mode.  To mod the existing V3, Grace would need to have ready access to those double-duty pins.  Design some kind of DSD daughter board and insert itself into the (now broken) signal path for those various pins and re-route the appropriate signals as necessary.  You'd also need a completely new front plate that had switches for DSD operation, and a new backplate with DSD output jacks.  All in all, very unlikely to mod existing V3's, but if there was enough of a market, I don't think the necessary re-design of the V3 to incorporate DSD output would be all that extensive.

As to outputting the DSD data, there is already an existing data standard for transmitting/receiving DSD data streams -- the SDIF-3 standard.  The Tascam DV-RA1000 is already using it, it has SDIF-3 input and output jacks.  I don't even know if there is any other equipment at this point that can output or receive DSD data, but at least Tascam is thinking ahead.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2005, 09:27:14 AM »
I've only heard a few 722 line-in tapes, but from what I've heard, I like it a lot more than the straight v3. nice balanced grainless sound. haven't heard mic-in yet.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »
now there's undisputable proof it sounds better!

Yep, what a suprise. Sounds like a group of Fender execs meeting around 1970.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com