Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ipod questions.  (Read 2736 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Ipod questions.
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:02:34 AM »
My wife finally hooked up her new ipod and during the setup it defaultd to AAC compression. Should this be changed or is it OK as is? She doesn't need to transfer in .wav format, but is one of the other selections better sound? I know nothing about MP3. Also, she's got a couple hundred songs on it already, all in AAC. Can they be changed to a different format?
Thanks, Tony.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
Re: Ipod questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:52:09 AM »
AAC is a Dolby format Apple Licensed. I think it sounds better than the MP3 formatted stuff. I put all my stuff in this format, it can be changed later if you want, but unless you really need to change it, I'd recommend leaving the stuff as AAC files. If you have some burning desire to have multiple formats (MP3, AAC, uncompressed), always use the original uncompressed to make the additional formats.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:10:24 AM »
Thanks! She's buying some stuff on itunes and uploading a bunch of her favorite cd's. It's pretty slick. Kinda does everything for you. Now if I can just find her a case for it.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:16:50 PM »
one reason to consider using mp3 -- if you wish to purchase a player that doesn't support acc and share the music your wife's ripping into her ipod.

Personally, I've found that ripping to mp3 @ 256kb/s produces very acceptable sounding music on these systems.  It's easy to transfer music from an Ipod to a computer and is similarly easy to transfer that music to another portable.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 01:16:55 PM »
search marware ipod on ebay and you will get a good selection of cases...the marware are a bit "beefier" than other cases, but I have dropped mine more than I care to mention and it still works great....something to think about...

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 04:10:59 PM »
one reason to consider using mp3 -- if you wish to purchase a player that doesn't support acc and share the music your wife's ripping into her ipod.

Personally, I've found that ripping to mp3 @ 256kb/s produces very acceptable sounding music on these systems. It's easy to transfer music from an Ipod to a computer and is similarly easy to transfer that music to another portable.

I've been doing all my stuff in my iPod in 192AAC... best tradeoff between size and sound to my ears.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 03:09:02 PM »
OK, so she easily transfered some of her favorite CD's, but stuff she is buying isn't transfering properly. The track names are on the ipod but no music ???.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 03:12:32 PM »
My wife needed to upgrade her ipod's firmware/sofware to get itunes-purchased music to work -- she/we then found the purchased stuff to sound pretty mediocre.

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 08:01:35 AM »
Whoa! An upgrade to firmware already, it's brand new. It's an HP version, not that that should have anything to do with it, but it should have the latest firmware, no?

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 09:29:55 AM »
nah they go through firmware pretty fast- its a good sign- it means they are continually testing and adding features- generally every time they upgrade firmware or itunes you get some new feature or even more enhanced stability.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com