Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VSA VR-4Sr IV  (Read 5149 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
VSA VR-4Sr IV
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
I know what I'm saving for!! 

http://www.audioservicescorp.com/PDFs/VR-4SR.pdf

If only Albert would make a center channel between the LCR-15 and LCR-40 ($3K).

Might pick up a VR-2 system in the next month.

SC

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: VSA VR-4Sr IV
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:22:36 PM »
Dare I ask what projected list price is for these? I still think my "final" system (read: after I buy a house and have room for it) will be VR-2 fronts, LCR-15 center, VR-1 rears, and sub of my choosing (might stick with VSA and try for a package deal). Of course, this is probably about 5-8 years away, but I can dream and drool!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:47:38 PM »
Are you sitting down?   

$8K 
 :o :o :o :o

I'm actually working on a deal to get the VR-2's/LCR-15/VR-1's for $2500.  A guy in the area is selling this system that is 6 months old.  They are black finish and my wife has been buggin' me for this since the family room was completed.

We might purchase a new home in the next year or so seeing my wife's company may build in the area.  I figure I might be able to swing the VR-4Sr system if I go along with her request for 9' first floor ceiling with 42" uppers in the kitchen!  :)

SC
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:52:06 PM by scervin »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:04:57 PM »
I'm actually working on a deal to get the VR-2's/LCR-15/VR-1's for $2500.  A guy in the area is selling this system that is 6 months old.  They are black finish and my wife has been buggin' me for this since the family room was completed.

SC

You are one of the luckiest men alive.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:08:06 PM »
one of my favorite things to do on this board is read what Scott is up to....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 08:14:21 PM »
2500 for that whole system?  the vr2s alone are around 1800 or so.  the lcr15 can be had for about 550 new.  damn that's a killer deal

i love my vr2s.  i need to pick up a center channel one of these days...

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:20:38 PM »
fwiw - absolute sound reviews the vr-4jr's in the dec/jan issue
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:33:54 PM »
This weekend is going to be great as far as audio is concerned!  As you may know I've been looking and auditioning and looking some more for a new pre/pro + amp.  Well, I've decided that this purchase is going to wait until I can get HDMI and Firewire on the darn thing.  I'm really waiting until the upgrade to the Anthem AVM30 happens (should have in Dec, but has een pushed until summer).  This might give me the chance to save a little more and get the Statment D1, but also allows for a new speaker or gear purchase.

Anyhow, over the last couple weeks I've been listening to more and more music as time has allowed me to do such.  Went to a buddies and heard the Perpetual Technologies P1a and P3a combo with SOCS (speaker only correction software).  This basically makes the Rockets phase coherent which makes a huge difference in the sound.  The highs and mids become much more open and airy with giving the bass a little "tighter" presentation.  It really sounded great!!  This can be had for about $1200.

Here comes the problem... I then find a guy about 45min away selling his VSA system.  He is asking for $2700, but I'm bringing $2500 in cash hoping he will take it.  The system has been FS for a few months now and he will not ship.  The wife said go for it if I can sell my current system so I'm heading down there in the next couple weeks to listen to the VR-2 and I'm bringing my 750's along with my buddies P-Tech gear and SOCS to do A/B comp in the same room.  I'll decide then what to do. 

I am going to a guy's house who got the VR-4SE III's a couple months back and is powering them with A Bel Canto eVo6 while running A Krell pre.  I can't wait to hear these speakers!!  I had planned on getting either the SE III's or 4jr's for the next house, but in talking with Mad Dog (you may have seen his name elsewhere) over the holidays he thinks the 4Sr's are where it is at!  He just got the Dodson 217 DAC to use with the Audio Alchemy DDS pro transport and Jeff Rowland Model10's and said the VR-4jrs are the best speakers he has heard to date!  This guy has heard everything and now he says the 4Sr's are bigger, better, and even more neutral!  Maybe we can get Carl to pick up a pair! :)

Tim,
I like hearing what everyone else is up to as well!

Scott,
It is a rediculous price on that system, but I'm not too fond of the center.  Maybe if I hear it a few more times I'll become to appreciate it more.

SC

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:28:39 AM »
yeah i haven't heard the center channel yet, so i am still sticking with a cheapo sony center until i can hear it or find something else i like...

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 10:20:36 AM »
please report back your results:  750's vs. vr4s

they are both on the hitlist

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 10:44:35 AM »
I will actually be comparing the 750's + SOCS (can easily turn it on and off) to the VR-2's.  I'm not sure the 750's will even come close to the VR-4 SEIII's I'm going to listen to this weekend.

I'll report back on all don't you worry.  Hopefully I'll get some pics or the VR-4 SEIII's as the cloth scares me with the dog runing around.

SC

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »
no questions, VSA are a "tapers speaker"...right down to the general philosphy of Alberts "what a speaker should do" mentality.
I dont think i'll ever own anything else.
well, maybe some Maggie 3.6's.
:)

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 06:26:24 PM »
I've been lurking in this forum for a couple months now, but I wanted to chime in on Von Schweikert loudspeakers.  I've had a pair of the original VR-4's since '96 and love them just as much today.  A used pair of these has to be one of the greatest deals in hi-fi;  I've seen them on Audiogon for around $1,500 per pair.

Albert also offers a radical upgrade for $2,500, but I've been satisfied enough with their sound that it's not high on my list of priorities (not to mention I don't have the funds to steer in that direction).  I'll probably take the plunge within a couple years, but I'm in no hurry.

I'll second what Nick said, they are indeed a taper's loudspeaker: Neutral, transparent, dynamic, and they do the imaging thing very well.  When I got into taping a couple years ago, I sent Albert an email telling him I finally disovered what the VR's were designed to do!  After all, the original ad copy was, "Engineered to perform like a microphone, in reverse."

Customer service is also very good.  If a flooded factory and ruined inventory couldn't stop Albert from making speakers, I think his company will be around for a long while. 

(I apologize for the absense of an avatar--I'll get working on that!)

-Frank
ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »
+T Frank, thanks for posting that. There has been a lot of buzz about these speakers lately!

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 06:31:29 PM »
no questions, VSA are a "tapers speaker"...right down to the general philosphy of Alberts "what a speaker should do" mentality.
I dont think i'll ever own anything else.
well, maybe some Maggie 3.6's.
:)

you should try the maggie 10.1's.  Too bad they stopped making them.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »
+T Frank, thanks for posting that. There has been a lot of buzz about these speakers lately!

And I can finally hear them w/o having to buy a pair!

Offline scb

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
there's a pair of vr5se's on audiogon :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com