Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak CR5A azimuth adjustment?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Nak CR5A azimuth adjustment?
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
Anyone know how to do this? Remove the door? I want to use it for transfers, but those "in the know" keep refering to an azimuth adjustment screw and I don't see it anywhere. If it's there it certainly isn't easliy accessed. Nothing in the manual showing it's location.

Offline tilomagnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Nak CR5A azimuth adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »
I've attached a photo of a 682 ZX with the cassette door removed, your CR-5 should look similar. I *think* the playback head azimuth is adjusted with the white screw on the far right below the pinch roller(NOT the screw directly below the PB head!). The white screw on the left is for record head azimuth, which you do not want to adjust for playback these tapes of course. Please wait until someone confirms it before you start adjusting, as I've only done this on a Revox deck before, not on a Nak. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:50:54 PM by tilomagnet »

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:20:31 PM »
OK. O'll take the door off tonight. I can see the four screws looking down in to the area, but no way are they accessible with the door on. I can also see that they are not marked on the 5A, but I'm sure they are the same as any other Nak transport.

Can proper azimuth adjustment have an affect on the hiss levels? I'm assuming yes, if it is the high end frequencies that determine proper alignment.

Now what about the output level knob. Do I turn it up to ten or dial back and use the 722 to increase the gain? Turning it up to ten seems to greatly increase the hiss levels. Any thoughts?

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »

i think my 680zx is actually labeled, (haven't looked at it in awhile) but the lx-5 is not from what i can tell. 

I just picked up an LX-5 yesterday, so I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

+t

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:19:27 PM »
Can proper azimuth adjustment have an affect on the hiss levels? I'm assuming yes, if it is the high end frequencies that determine proper alignment.
exactly.
Now what about the output level knob. Do I turn it up to ten or dial back and use the 722 to increase the gain? Turning it up to ten seems to greatly increase the hiss levels. Any thoughts?
tony, have you sent your v3 in to grace to have the analog out polarity fixed? if yes, and i were you, i'd be running:
deck > v3 (analog out) > 722, and increasing the levels with the v3, which is your most transparent pre in your arsenal.
imo, you want the most transparent gear you can get when doing the transfers so you get the most out of the original recording.
as far as where to place the output levels with the nak deck, i dunno.  you want to shoot for the "unity" level which is where youy are getting the best signal from it with the least amount of noise floor introduced.  hopefully moke, charlie miller, albix, kyle, etc. can chime in with regards on where to set the nak output knob.

Yep, looks like I got the tools, just need to learn how to use 'em ;) Man, the taping part is easy, this transfering shit is nuts.

Paging Charlie Miller.....

edit update: my Nak deck is dead >:(. powers up but won't do anything else. oh well, back to the D5. D5 has an azimuth adjust to, right moke?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:27:11 PM by ts »

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »
If you have a little screwdriver, any deck can be adjusted...cm
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com