Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rate/Help Improve My System  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Rate/Help Improve My System
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »
I have had many different playback setups....but after all the switching around with my brother and I going to college this is what I've got...

Tape Deck:
I am playing cassettes through a Sony (I forgot the model but its just a replacement for my dads Nakamichi deck that is still in for repairs) ->

EQ:
Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ3102 (for tweaking my dad's cassettes before burning them on my TEAC Cd Recorder) ->

CD Burning Device:
TEAC CD-RW some model # I can't remember it was about $200 ish....->

Receiver:
Some kind of Yamaha receiver that is reall designed for surround sound I think (judging by the ports)...but I have a Pioneer 950 or 850.....the old wooden box style (what you find under "vintage receivers on E-bay")

Speakers:
And all this eventually comes out of a nice pair of JBL L100's.....

I want all advice you can muster......i.e. what you use....what you think is missing from my setup, what is good in my setup.....where the HUGE gapping holes are.......etc.

"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rate/Help Improve My System
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »
As with recording gear, need a budget to provide any meaningful feedback.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »
I dunno about how good those jbl speakers are, but IMHO speakers are the 1st thing to upgrade.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
Sell it all and let God sort it out!

Chris

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
Well....I hadn't really allocated funds to this purpose from my primary Recording budget of +/-$3000....

.....but lets say I wanted to, or should I say would be able to put $1500-$2000 into it.....just for conversation sake......probably closer to $1500....
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
I dunno about how good those jbl speakers are, but IMHO speakers are the 1st thing to upgrade.

Okay....well IMHO the JBL's sound great....I am soon to take them to my local Speaker Dr. and have him assess them....but from a literal interpretation of what I hear....it is full loud and clear....

What are some of the favorite Speaker brands.....?

cshepherd

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »
I would recommend working on your speaker placement first.  They should be off the rear wall by at least a foot or two.  I would also recommend placing them on old milk crates (or something similar) so they are not directly on the floor.  If possible, spread them out in some sort of symmetrical fashion along a wall, pointed in slightly (not facing each other on opposite sides of the room).  If you want to buy something, start with your player, then work your way down the signal path.  It all starts with your source.  I've witnessed a decent front end and new cables transform old-school systems like yours on multiple occasions.  I have to disagree with BC regarding speaker replacement.  I think your speakers are good enough to be taken along for the ride, at least for a while.

Chris

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »
Well....I hadn't really allocated funds to this purpose from my primary Recording budget of +/-$3000....

.....but lets say I wanted to, or should I say would be able to put $1500-$2000 into it.....just for conversation sake......probably closer to $1500....

If you want to put that much into it, i'd just say perhaps start over.

I just spent that much and have this setup, I am 110% thrilled with it.

Oppo DVD Player - Transport - $120 refurb
Music Hall Mambo - Integrated Amp - $580 used
Von Schweichart VR-1's - Speakers - $425 used
Nick's Picks Cables (coming soon) - don't remember
Thorens Turtable - $50 at a thrift store, this thing's a beast.

The only thing I'm lacking is a good phono pre and a shelf.  I love how this sounds though.
mics & cameras

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »
Well you know I'm not set on throwing money away, and would rather spend it on recording equipment....

....what does "reference quality" entail?

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »
Well you know I'm not set on throwing money away, and would rather spend it on recording equipment....

Huh?  what do you consider throwing money away?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »

I took it to mean that he already has some pieces, so starting over is not what he is after.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »

All I meant was that I don't want to overkill on buying....i.e. I have a nice set of JBL L100's that in my opinion sound fantastic....I am still going to have them looked at b/c they have never been serviced since 76 or whatever.....

I just don't want to buy brand new stuff I my current equipment is still adequate....

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »

All I meant was that I don't want to overkill on buying....i.e. I have a nice set of JBL L100's that in my opinion sound fantastic....I am still going to have them looked at b/c they have never been serviced since 76 or whatever.....

I just don't want to buy brand new stuff I my current equipment is still adequate....

I agree whole heartedly, if you're happy with a component by all means don't change it.  I had a pair of large advents that I sorely miss, however the just don't fit in my current space.

Anyway, with what you have, I would look at transport and possibly a new integrated amp.  Personally I'm a tube fan, if you buy used (check out www.audiogon.com) you can always re-list something if you don't like it and pretty much break even.  It would be a good way to try out a few different items and see what you like... it may end up that you are happy with what you're currently running, but it never hurts to try... unless you get the upgrade bug :) 

What do you normally listen to as a source? CD?

SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 11:27:26 PM »
Cd's, cassettes (my dads grateful dead masters), and I occasionally hook up my ipod to listen to my modern music...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 07:43:51 AM »

Oppo DVD Player - Transport - $120 refurb
Music Hall Mambo - Integrated Amp - $580 used
Von Schweichart VR-1's - Speakers - $425 used
Nick's Picks Cables (coming soon) - don't remember
Thorens Turtable - $50 at a thrift store, this thing's a beast.

thats some good shit on the cheap right there.
I really, really liked the Mambo when I had one.

Personally, I would not want the 30 year old JBLs in my system.  Maybe they are great...a classic even..but I like newer technology. 
You could get something 15 years old that i'm sure would smoke those.

now..for quality w/o breaking the bank, there are more options than you want to know.
I am a fan of the Epos speaker line.  They sound excellent...every model.
Your vintage receiver might be something to have gone over by a company that does modifications or restoration of vintage gear.

meet your new best friend:  www.audiogon.com
buy used!
:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com