Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking at picking this up next week, wht do you think?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
looking at picking this up next week, wht do you think?
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
Going to look and listen on tuesday will be my first tube amp, any recs from anyone here, seems like a good deal to me

I am selling my upgraded Jolida 502A 60W/ch integrated amplifier which is in mint condition (see ad pictures). Sale price is $850 OBO + shipping.
The 502A has the much in-demand classic tube amplifier look where the transformers are not covered.
The reason for the sale is that this amp cannot drive my 1-Ohm speaker load.

My Jolida 502A has been significantly upgraded by K & K Audio for a major improvement in sonics.
The modifications are:
• all power supply caps were upgraded to computer grade Panasonic TS-HB.
• AC power rectifier diodes were upgraded to IXYS FRED diodes rated at 1200V, 52A.
• All low current rectifiers were upgraded to 1000V, 1A type.
• All signal path caps were upgraded to Kimber Kaps.
• Transistor Current Sources were installed for the 12AT7 driver tubes (this was a big deal upgrade. Resulted in major sonic improvement).
• The Volume pot was upgraded to a NOBLE logarithmic pot.
• The Balance pot was removed altogether (this was a major upgrade in sonics because an uneccessary pot in the signal path was removed).
• All resistors were upgraded to Holco or Kiwame or PRPor Caddock depending on location.
• Input stage tube upgraded to Mullard IEC 12AX7
• Driver stage tube upgraded to RCA 12AT7
• Output tubes upgraded to KT88EH.

If you want to buy a brand new stock 502B it is going to cost you $995 from Underwoodwally on Audiogon.
If you want to buy a modified 502B from Underwoodwally it will cost you $1595.00
If you want to buy a 502A with Platinum mods by Response Audio it would have cost you $2125.00.
I think that my selling price is very fair.

The tubes that come with this amp are
Mullard IEC 12AX7 (in generic white boxes)  used old stock.
RCA 12AT7 (in original RCA boxes)  used old stock
Electro-Harmonix KT88 (in original boxes)  I have about 50 hrs on these tubes. They are pracitically brand new.

On the rear panel there is some fading of the numbers indicating the 8 & 4 Ohms taps. It is still very easy to make out which is the 8 Ohm tap & which the 4 Ohm tap. Just the numbers 8 & 4 are somewhat faded.

I have the 502A manual + the electrical schematic that Jolida sent me to help out with the mods. I have the original 502A shipping box.
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: looking at picking this up next week, wht do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »
I say go for it, everyone needs to at least try a tube amp once. You never know, this could be the beginning of the end, hard to ga back once you have tubes.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »
I love my Jolida 102b tube amp. Before you buy, you might want to contact Rick at Audioforce to see what his price would be (audio_way@yahoo.com). I got the 102b for an absolute steal from him nearly two years ago.

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
I love my Jolida 102b tube amp. Before you buy, you might want to contact Rick at Audioforce to see what his price would be (audio_way@yahoo.com). I got the 102b for an absolute steal from him nearly two years ago.

cool thanks, and yes Carl we had this conversation 2 years ago at my old place and am finally biting the bullet, selling my old av receiver that I just replaced also to help fund part of it, cant wait  >:D

KM140>V2>722

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »
I'm currently using Electro-Harmonix KT88EH tubes on my Cary mono-blocks and am pleased with them so far. I highly recommend modded Jolida equipment. For red book playback I have a heavily modified Jolida cd player and it sounds sweet. You will most likely love tubes.   
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
^^^ Has nothing to do with the post, but StuStu that's a hella aresenal of audio gear you got going there!

Offline StuStu

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:58:59 AM »
^^^ Has nothing to do with the post, but StuStu that's a hella aresenal of audio gear you got going there!

If you're ever down in SWFL, drop by for a listen. I love my audio room! :)
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »
Great news Tim, glad to have you aboard.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
well it is all hooked up and is rocking out now at 8 ohms, havent tried hooking it up at 4 yet

KM140>V2>722

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
So what do you think so far?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:39 PM »
So what do you think so far?

Absolutely love it for the couple hours I got to listen, had to travel at 6 am the next day and am on my way home now, maybe I can get my wife to stay up so I can crank it tonight when I get home, really has given the speakers a new sound, I thought 60 watts per channel would not be enough to push what I have but I was majorly wrong!!!

KM140>V2>722

Offline StuStu

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Watts are not much concern in the audiophile realm. You can get a full body massage under 50 watts with the right gear.

Congrats on the new amp...enjoy!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com