Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CIAudio  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
CIAudio
« on: September 21, 2005, 05:07:14 PM »
www.ciaudio.com
I've been getting a bug in my shorts to hear this stuff for a while.
anyone  have any of their gear?

I'd love to try out the D-200s
but I think even the 100s would more than match my Sony in terms of power.
their passive preamp is only a $350 as well.  ...but I was thinking more  along the lives of a symphonie in front of them.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: CIAudio
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:10:39 PM »
the vda1 looks interesting
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:12:03 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:14:11 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »
I've heard really good things about them, though I am still a firm believer that you will get 98 % of the performance building your own amp with parts from hypex.  Tweaks on them are to be found at diyaudio which probably would give you 100 percent opf what they are selling.  Has anyone actually heard a dk designs MK II by any chance?  I have the bug to move to seperates, and am accumulating funds to do so rather soon.  I am thinking I may try the dk designs and a benchmark dac-1, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 05:10:24 PM »
I was looking at the DK Designs as well, I also have a Benchmark. The problem I have with all these new amps (flavor of the month IMO) is that all the reviews say similar things. This amp stacks up pretty well to such & such amp at half the cost. Blah, Blah, how important is that last little bit of resolution?? No clue personally but I bet it's pretty important to most. If I am spending hard earned money, I want the amp they compare it too that does everything at any cost. I'll just buy it used & pay half vs the new price of one of these new so-called wonder amps  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 05:43:14 PM »
these so called wonder amps...
the PS audio digital amp scored higher than the DNA1 did (stereophile reviews)
fwiw...
:)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 06:02:57 PM »
I've heard the CI DAC (VDA-1) with the VAC-1 optional power supply in my system. To me it sounds exactly like it should for the price. It's not a giant-killer by any means and the Benchmark DAC-1 is nicer all around. It mated well with the PS Audio HCA-2 > VSA VR-1s. The downside of this DAC is that you'd need a passive pre, as it's line level outs only.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 06:07:30 PM »
Maybe so but I have HEARD the DNA-1 & it rocked. I have not heard any of these other wonder amps. I could care less about what stereophile has said, I haven't heard anyone else say any of these amps are better than a DNA-1, when someone who does not get paid to fluff a product says it is better than the DNA then maybe I will look into it. All these "other" amps share a similar review from users, they are all CLOSE to similar more expensive amps. Why not buy the more expensive amps used as the same prices of these new amps & have supposed better performance??

I understand you like the digital amps, you own one & that is cool. I am interested in SOME of these designs myself but I have no desire to buy one at the cost of new retail & experiment even with a 30 day return policy when I can buy a time tested amp from a different company with better re-sale. I can then decide if I like it or not & resell later building upon that sale to get to the next level. Will one of these new digital amps be broken in in 30 days?? Not likely, you can't tell. Find me one of these at used prices (usually close to half off & I may buy one) How much quality do expect at 2k?? Not much in high end audio IMHO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:30 PM »
b'ah!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

BobW

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »
I just heard the PSAudio "intergrated" Stereo Control Amp.
http://www.psaudio.com/products/hca.asp

Oooh !- look, it has the "sonic warmth of tubes"   ::)
Is that sounding familiar ?

BTW, what little I heard of the amp was quite nice.
I'm thinking that these Class D switching amps may be easy to voice. Perhaps in sort of a DSP way....
Betting we won't hear the end of this trend too soon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:15:44 PM by _Bob_ »

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 06:39:47 PM »
FWIW regarding the DK designs amps, apparently the newest incarnation MKIII is THE one to get, significantly improved over the earlier models. Some nice deals on Audiogon on the earlier ones though I must say.  Can't say as I've heard one, but that's the buzz on the newest model...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com