Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfering DAT Collection to Hardrive/FLAC  (Read 5288 times)

Offline h2orush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transfering DAT Collection to Hardrive/FLAC
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
Greetings....

So, I recently dusted off my old DAT collection and am wanting to transfer everything to hardrive. I have about 600 or so DAT tapes, mostly Dead and JGB, but also some really nice stuff from DMB, Samples, Big Head Todd & others.... I was an active taper back "in the day", circa 1989-1995. My best stuff was JGB @ the Warfield from 92-94, all FOB with Neuman Km 54's.....I beleieve I have at least several shows that are not in circulation......

Some people here must have done this....Please forgive my "newbieness" here, as I have been out of this game for a long time.

Several questions on how to approach this, but I'll start here...

1) My only DAT player is a Denon DTR-80P. How do make a digital connection to my soundcard?

The only "digital out" on the Denon is a weird "mini to rca" digital cord that I dont have anymore..
 http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=158763.0

Regardless, the only input on my soundcard is a mini plug. How do I ensure a digital connection to the soundcard? Am I losing alot if I just go "analog out" out the Denon into "analog in" on the Soundcard. I'm still trying to figure out what sounds card I actually have.

I am planning on usuing Audacity to run the tranfers, but open to suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Transfering DAT Collection to Hardrive/FLAC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
The DTR-80P cable sounds like it's going to be an obstacle...any taper buddies you can hit up for a loaner DAT deck? If so, I'd suggest borrowing one (or getting one cheap off eBay). I see a Tascam DA-20mkII or a Sony R300 for around $100 buy it now, but then you'd still need some way of going digital in, if you don't have a digital soundcard. Might be going beyond what you want to spend on this project.

That said, there are folks on here (myself included) who would gladly help transfer for you - twatts and boilerinthebasement come to mind as well...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:45:17 PM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
I'll gladly Transfer any Phish or related material for you, and return your DATs with DVDRs of the transferred music files...

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
I'll gladly Transfer any Phish or related material for you, and return your DATs with DVDRs of the transferred music files...

Thanks,

Terry

I have JMP w Fishman from moedown 2002 I might need transferred!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline h2orush

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:42 PM »
What soundcard do I need for the digital transfer? Any suggestions?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
I've always used an m audio audiophile. It's bit perfect
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
What soundcard do I need for the digital transfer? Any suggestions?

I had the DTR-80P and may still have that cable.  Are you in the Bay Area?

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
Also, what type of computer do you have?

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
Greetings....

So, I recently dusted off my old DAT collection and am wanting to transfer everything to hardrive. I have about 600 or so DAT tapes, mostly Dead and JGB, but also some really nice stuff from DMB, Samples, Big Head Todd & others.... I was an active taper back "in the day", circa 1989-1995. My best stuff was JGB @ the Warfield from 92-94, all FOB with Neuman Km 54's.....I beleieve I have at least several shows that are not in circulation......

Some people here must have done this....Please forgive my "newbieness" here, as I have been out of this game for a long time.

1) My only DAT player is a Denon DTR-80P. How do make a digital connection to my soundcard?

The only "digital out" on the Denon is a weird "mini to rca" digital cord that I dont have anymore..

Regardless, the only input on my soundcard is a mini plug. How do I ensure a digital connection to the soundcard? Am I losing alot if I just go "analog out" out the Denon into "analog in" on the Soundcard. I'm still trying to figure out what sounds card I actually have.

Thanks for the help!

wow...would love to hear the neumann pulls love the KM54's!  The Vasseurs ran them at many a JGB show you had a set too?  damn!  Any chance you have 5/17 and 5/18 1994?  Got the AT 831 sources but would love a km54 pull of these great nights.

..and I agree on the m-audio audiophile 24/96 they are cheap and plentiful. You may just be able to pop it right in the PCI slot the current one is in depending how old your rig is.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:03:44 PM by obaaron »
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
You may be better off getting a handheld recorder that has a spidif input then using a PC w/ soundcard.

A mAudio microtrack 2496 would work great and can handle upto 90meter tapes w/o running into the file split limitation of the device.

You can pick them up cheap on eBay.

Also you may want to consider buying a used full size deck then trying to get by on the Denon.  You can find used Sony PCM-r500's for around $150 shipped on eBay.

Full size decks especially the Sony A8,A9,2600,2800,r500,r700, 7040 will haves much better chance of reading tapes
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline sspott

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Impossible -> Vacation -> Sometimes
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
I'm doing the same thing, trying my best to make my way through an enormous DAT collection [1k+], I was pretty lucky since I was able to do transfers without any real hardware cost, I still have my workhorse Fostex D5 -> Optical Cable -> (via Toslink) MacMini 1.83 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 2GB Memory (Snow Leopard 10.6.6), the key part to all of this is having a repeatable workflow... naming conventions, any mastering, source documentation, etc... having this stuff scripted *really* comes in handy.

I know *years* ago +sleepypedro had some batch files used in cooperation with some DDS drives to 'extract' the audio from the DAT's.  Gives me an excuse to reach out to Peter, does anyone else have a way of doing that (i.e. DAT2WAV, etc.)?

Also.... I'd be happy to do any Widespread Panic / Related DAT transfers if you need 'em.

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
I convert all DAT's for dmb from many people (including here on TS) who have sent them to me over the past 4 years.  I've done about 100 DAT's so you can send me the dmb DAT's.  I have a DAT deck and record the DAT right onto Sound Forge on my pc.

Message me if you're interested

Tom
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
I'm doing the same thing, trying my best to make my way through an enormous DAT collection [1k+], I was pretty lucky since I was able to do transfers without any real hardware cost, I still have my workhorse Fostex D5 -> Optical Cable -> (via Toslink) MacMini 1.83 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 2GB Memory (Snow Leopard 10.6.6), the key part to all of this is having a repeatable workflow... naming conventions, any mastering, source documentation, etc... having this stuff scripted *really* comes in handy.

I know *years* ago +sleepypedro had some batch files used in cooperation with some DDS drives to 'extract' the audio from the DAT's.  Gives me an excuse to reach out to Peter, does anyone else have a way of doing that (i.e. DAT2WAV, etc.)?

Also.... I'd be happy to do any Widespread Panic / Related DAT transfers if you need 'em.

I used DATXtract on a Mac with great success.  It was a flashed Sony DDS drive > SCSI firewire adapter > Mac Pro.  I think it needs to be running 10.5 or earlier.

http://pdicamillo.org/~peter/datxtract/

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
I xfer using following:
Sony pcm-7040 > AES > tascam hs-p82
Or
SGI Sony sdt-9000 dds > SCSI > DAT2wav (under winxp)

I have used DATXtract under osx 10.6 as well

I much prefer the dat2wav solution as it does some error correction but to really xfer dats you should have a couple of options

My xfer process is:
1. Xfer with dat2wav
2. If xfer clean and successful then done else
3. If dat is 44.1 or 48 kHz transfer with pcm-7040
4. If dat is 32 kHz try Sony dtc-a8 transfer

Out of the hundreds of tapes I have transferred only about 5% end up needing to be xfered with the 7040 or A8

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline c.b.taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • what do you mean its broken...
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
Greetings....

Thanks for the help!
h20rush jgb tapes are to die for. u never called me back. rc
microphones b&k 4006, shoeps mk4-schoeps preamp vms-II-grace v3 sd 722 x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com