Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vocals ok, guitars overload distort can i filter out the guitars?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
i pretty much already know the answer to this already, but i'm hoping i'm wrong.

i have audio i taped using a manually set camcorder.  i used the internal camcorder mic for this one so the vocals are ok, but the drums and guitars are distorted/overloaded.  is there a possibility of filtering out the guitars altogether, leaving me with some vocals.  i have a second source that sounds fine, but faint vocals.  i was hoping to combine the 2 recordings.

i could post a sample if it would help.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
Re: vocals ok, guitars overload distort can i filter out the guitars?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
Guitars and vocals usually occupy the same frequency range, unfortunately.  Depending on where in the frequency range the guitars are distorting (I would imagine a large portion of that) you might want to salvage the upper part of the guitars/vox (about 1.5-3k) or the lower part (750-1.5k).  I don't know which part your OK source is lacking.

Your other option would be to put a limiter on the distorted source at -0.1dB and lower the volume of it at least 5-10db to where it might not be as noticeable.  Internal cam mics usually have pretty bad audio with a lot of highs (12-16k) that hurt the ears at loud volumes but mixed in low can add a nice life to a condenser mic source.

If you want to post a sample I can give it a listen and give you some advice based on that.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: vocals ok, guitars overload distort can i filter out the guitars?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
if anyone else wants to take a stab at it:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebjnj9

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com