Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low priced actives  (Read 6291 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Low priced actives
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:12 AM »
Don't forget about AT853's.  They don't have much snob factor, but I'm constantly amazed how good they sound.

Agree, I'm running the same mics. Though I guess we're talking about AT853Rx, so it's not technically an active setup, right?!  Just small mics with phantom adapters, no more no less.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »
Don't forget about AT853's.  They don't have much snob factor, but I'm constantly amazed how good they sound.  I

Haha...funny but true. Alot of people get excited when they see I'm running something that at 1st glance could be some high dollar active setup...then there's the letdown (for them) when I tell them Audio Technica...

I've been running my 853's into the SD MP-2 for the better part of 5 years now and I am constantly amazed what these mics can do. At some point I would like to try a different preamp but I'm in no hurry to change really....never will get rid of the MP-2! The only thing I feel lacking about is the mounting options and the fact that there is nothing comparable to the Shure A81WS for them. I still haven't been able to find something I'm 100% satisfied with.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:30:59 PM by ashevillain »

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
Why not the AT8418 with a larger windscreen stuck on top of that?

That looks way too cumbersome for me. I'm currently brainstorming on a solution that I think alot of people would like...just got to make it happen somehow.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Im pretty new here and have been reading around a lot. I'm sure this is a very simple question, but what exactly are "active" setups/"active" cables?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:17:20 AM »
Generally, when people say "actives" or "active cables" or "active setups" on TS they mean the ability to run the mic caps remotely from the mic bodies.  The primary reasons most do so:  it provides for easy/fast set up and a low profile (i.e. doesn't block sightlines as much, may be worn on-body, etc.).

Technically, there's more to it, and not all systems providing the ability to run the caps remotely from the bodies are "active" systems.  There's a DSatz post around here (maybe a few) explaining this in greater detail if you want to try to find it via Search (and if you can't, lemme know and I'll try to dig it up.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:54 AM »
Im pretty new here and have been reading around a lot. I'm sure this is a very simple question, but what exactly are "active" setups/"active" cables?

IIUC, "active cables" is a bit of a misnomer.
Some microphone capsules contains active circuitry, that enables them to be separated from the body, and driven remotely via cables. The capsules are called active capsules, hence: "active" cables.

Neumann explains this pretty well:
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=km100_description

The KM 100 is phantom powered (48 V) and uses transformerless output circuitry. This has several advantages. It features high output capability and extremely low self noise. It provides exceptionally clean sound, free of any coloration. As with traditional transformers, this circuit approach ensures good common mode rejection. The balanced output signal is protected against interference.

The construction is extremely compact. The entire microphone circuitry is on a single hybrid module measuring only 2 cm² in area. It is built into the microphone capsule, therefore the term “active capsules”.

All sensitive components are protected within the capsule. As a result, the quality of the audio signal is never compromised through the use of accessories, for example, when the capsule is detached from the output stage and mounted on a cable or a gooseneck.

Even with a long cable between active capsule and output stage, the signal is immune to external interference.
The active capsule itself is only 35 or 47 mm resp. long. The KM 100 output stage and the active microphone capsule may be separated by up to 50 m of interconnecting cable. These cables are 3 mm in diameter, and therefore very inconspicuous.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »

IIUC, "active cables" is a bit of a misnomer.
Some microphone capsules contains active circuitry, that enables them to be separated from the body, and driven remotely via cables. The capsules are called active capsules, hence: "active" cables.

not in all cases.  With Neumann (and MBHO and beyerdynamic, and maybe other as well), the circuitry needed to separate the mic capsule from the mic body with a length of wire is included with the capsule (aka "active capsule"), and thus the cables are just "remote" cables or "extension" cables and not "active cables".  With Schoeps, however, the circuits that are needed to separate the cap from the mic body are indeed contained on the capsule end of the cable, and not on the capsule itself. So with Schoeps mics, the term "active cable" is accurate.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »
That helps a lot. Thanks for the info.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com