Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 853s(not SP models)>MP-2  (Read 7571 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
853s(not SP models)>MP-2
« on: February 15, 2004, 04:17:31 PM »
OK, I am tired of these SP versions of the 853s not being able to handle bass at rock shows.  I am trying to figure out my cost effective options for stealth mics that won't overload on a bass string pop.  In addition, I want to keep this venture in a reasonable budget (no Schoeps and DPAs do not fall under this parameter for me).

What I am looking at is getting a set of the real AT 853s, powering them with the MP-2, which if my logic is right, by sending them a full 48V, I will get better high SPL handling, and at worst, I can actually run the HPF on the MP-2...

Any opinions on this?  Am I missing something?  Also if there are any other possibilities that I am missing with regard to another mic alternative let me know as well.

Thanks.

Nick
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 04:17:58 PM by nickgregory »

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:853s(not SP models)>MP-2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 04:28:35 PM »
the audix micros are small enough for in hat configs (I think, I don't have any)
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
OK, I am tired of these SP versions of the 853s not being able to handle bass at rock shows.  I am trying to figure out my cost effective options for stealth mics that won't overload on a bass string pop.  In addition, I want to keep this venture in a reasonable budget (no Schoeps and DPAs do not fall under this parameter for me).

What I am looking at is getting a set of the real AT 853s, powering them with the MP-2, which if my logic is right, by sending them a full 48V, I will get better high SPL handling, and at worst, I can actually run the HPF on the MP-2...

Any opinions on this?  Am I missing something?  Also if there are any other possibilities that I am missing with regard to another mic alternative let me know as well.

Thanks.

Nick

nick, i'm sure you'll be happily surprised by the 853 performace with phantom power.  you will need a power adaptor (AT8533) or the Samson model someone once mentioned.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 06:33:49 PM »
DO IT. that's the rig schwillbert is running at present. surprisingly good.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 06:34:24 PM »
haha, sorry, not because schwilly can't tape, but because the 853s are, what, $300?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »
so maybe this is a question for Schwilly, but have you guys had any problems with bass with this combo...especially when you are in line with the bass cabinet at head level?  have you had to use the high pass filter?  

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 06:38:09 PM »
this is an example of the crap that I am getting

http://home.nc.rr.com/nickgregory/kidrockbass.mp3

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 06:54:47 PM »
dling... one sec

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 06:58:05 PM »
I've had 2 problems running the mp-2 so far and I believe both were user related, actually, one was a cable problem.  Other than that, tapes have been sweet, I'll send you off a sampler package if you like, nick.  I recorded a rave last night, bassy as all hell in the venue of course, and the tapes sounds so frickin schwag.  I'm powering them at 48V and haven't had any SPL issues, although I don't run stack....ever.  I run from the sweet spot, and boy do they sound sweet.  I got a DIN-type config rolling in my hat, thanx to armen's genius.

As far as my knowledge goes, I am not using any bass roll-off, on the mp-2 nor on the AT8533x modules (they have their own roll-off switches).  I haven't had any reason to test the switches because the mix is always sounding good, but it is comforting to know it is there if I need it.

also, I have to talk to goose about this, but I think his mics aren't matched.  Or maybe it's the gain on my mp-2, but they are about 2 dB off.

more on the rave later!

~schwillberitis

PS what are you using to power the CMC-4's?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 07:00:11 PM »
in front of the cabinets, i'd run the 80hz filter anyway. and that mishandling of the lows will go away when you get the real deal, i'll put some money on that.
stuff like this happens all the TIME with many sp tapes, at the bass cabinets or not, from the little omnis to the 853s. haven't heard the low end problem with the 831s but we'll see. seems like the 831s are the only truly trustworthy mics to get from SP - do the 933s have basshandling problems? are they out of sound pro's current catatlog?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »
I've had 2 problems running the mp-2 so far and I believe both were user related, actually, one was a cable problem.  Other than that, tapes have been sweet, I'll send you off a sampler package if you like, nick.  I recorded a rave last night, bassy as all hell in the venue of course, and the tapes sounds so frickin schwag.  I'm powering them at 48V and haven't had any SPL issues, although I don't run stack....ever.  I run from the sweet spot, and boy do they sound sweet.  I got a DIN-type config rolling in my hat, thanx to armen's genius.

As far as my knowledge goes, I am not using any bass roll-off, on the mp-2 nor on the AT8533x modules (they have their own roll-off switches).  I haven't had any reason to test the switches because the mix is always sounding good, but it is comforting to know it is there if I need it.

also, I have to talk to goose about this, but I think his mics aren't matched.  Or maybe it's the gain on my mp-2, but they are about 2 dB off.

more on the rave later!

~schwillberitis

gotta get your rave tape. did you transfer them yet? what's taking so long?!?!?!

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 07:07:18 PM »

haha, yeah, right. instantaneous inspiration, that's all. and it's so perfect for my DPAs... if we do some measurin it could set a trend with the card/hyper pholk!

i don't think i'd ever use any filter setting higher than 80-85. my dpa mps-6010 has a switchable setting at 85 hz. works like voodoo.

quite possible that it's the mics - not that it's a terrible thing. everything was butter when i ran the 4061s >modmps with your mp-2.

i think he's using the slimline module, same shit i have for the 831s SP-CMC-whatever the fuck.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 07:14:48 PM »

more on the rave later!

~schwillberitis

gotta get your rave tape. did you transfer them yet? what's taking so long?!?!?!

fucker ;D I'm still in HMB (half moon bay)
Smithy went to take candace to see her dad, then we're coming back down tonight.  Transfer (all 4 hours!) and then post on STG :-D

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 07:17:13 PM »
STG? how about just send it to my lab for the next 2 days. ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 07:17:58 PM »
Schwilly, I would love to hear some samples...thanks for the offer!  I would agree that running stack side isnt optimal, but for the shows I am running at lately, you tape where you get your tickets from in the mad rush on the day they go on sale!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
STG? how about just send it to my lab for the next 2 days. ;)
download it like everyone else :P

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 07:21:23 PM »
Schwilly, I would love to hear some samples...thanks for the offer!  I would agree that running stack side isnt optimal, but for the shows I am running at lately, you tape where you get your tickets from in the mad rush on the day they go on sale!

oh shibby, well, pm me your addy and I'll have some discs in the mail for you on tuesday.  I've taped, some local funk and rock bands,  portugese goth metal, and the rave last night.  These mics are pretty forgiving in shitty sounding rooms when I have used the hypers!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »

oh shibby, well, pm me your addy and I'll have some discs in the mail for you on tuesday.  I've taped, some local funk and rock bands,  portugese goth metal, and the rave last night.  These mics are pretty forgiving in shitty sounding rooms when I have used the hypers!

Thanks Schwilly, PM sent!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »
schwilly, you taped a rave? am i missing something here? just your normal everyday rave with like a dj?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »
many djs, and much great electronic mind-tinglage

Offline drumminj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 12:31:46 PM »
Hey Nick, sorry I didn't chime in here earlier...haven't been trolling all the forums here.

I have some samples with the at853Rx as well.  One mic'ed right off the stack at a very boomy bar here.  I've had no problem with distortion or anything with these mics.  The bass response on them is great, IMO. I used to own a pair of the SP at853s, and they just couldn't handle the SPL at a lot of shows.

I haven't listened to your sample.  I'll d/l it tonight.  But if you'd like some samples with my mics, I can dig up some of the raw recordings and make some mp3s.  I don't claim to make great recordings, but it should give you a good feel for what they pick up.    Schwilly's samples are much better than mine, though :(

i can prolly get a pair of the SP cmc-4's to run side-by-side with the at853Rx if you really want. I think a friend of mine has a pair.

J

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
haha, sorry, not because schwilly can't tape, but because the 853s are, what, $300?

$340 new, I think.  At least that's what I got mine for.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »
Hey Nick, sorry I didn't chime in here earlier...haven't been trolling all the forums here.

I have some samples with the at853Rx as well.  One mic'ed right off the stack at a very boomy bar here.  I've had no problem with distortion or anything with these mics.  The bass response on them is great, IMO. I used to own a pair of the SP at853s, and they just couldn't handle the SPL at a lot of shows.

I haven't listened to your sample.  I'll d/l it tonight.  But if you'd like some samples with my mics, I can dig up some of the raw recordings and make some mp3s.  I don't claim to make great recordings, but it should give you a good feel for what they pick up.    Schwilly's samples are much better than mine, though :(

i can prolly get a pair of the SP cmc-4's to run side-by-side with the at853Rx if you really want. I think a friend of mine has a pair.

J

actually if you dont mind just mp3ing a couple of samples, that would be great....no worries about running side by side...I know what the SP mics are not capable of...just trying to make sure that I wont have the same problem if I buy your mics...Thanks!

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
Sure, I'll do that tonight and PM you.  If you want a sample from Schwilly, he actually uploaded one to me the other day. It's still on my server, I believe, so PM me and I'll give you the login info.

You don't mind, do ya Schwilly?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 12:51:38 PM »
that is great, PM sent!  Thanks!  +T

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »
no minding here ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »
OK, bumping this thread because I finally had a chance to run the 853RX's in a stealth situation...bassy as hell, loud fucking shows, and the tapes turned out great.....the SP versions would absolutely have distorted during trapt as loud as it was....look for tapes to be circulating in the next week or so

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 01:52:12 PM »
great news nick!  keep it up

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »
OK, bumping this thread because I finally had a chance to run the 853RX's in a stealth situation...bassy as hell, loud fucking shows, and the tapes turned out great.....the SP versions would absolutely have distorted during trapt as loud as it was....look for tapes to be circulating in the next week or so

Good to hear!  I also taped my first show with my modded at943's:

http://www.geocities.com/gdloco/Main_Page.html?1084072968171

Some mp3 samples at the bottom, no bass rolloff was used and it sounds just fine.  I think those bass distortion hell/clipping days are long over my friend   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2004, 11:19:28 PM »

Nice work, Nick!  Looking forward to this one...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2004, 08:32:17 AM »
posted in another thread, but in case you missed it...here is sample of the trapt set....AT853RX>MP-2>D100...loud set, bassy as hell....learned the merits of "riding the pit" as some call it...combat taping at its best...tape sounds good though, will get the full thing around in a day or two

http://home.nc.rr.com/nickgregory/trapt-headstrong.mp3

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2004, 10:51:28 AM »
just keep your head in one place and try not to get plowed over by an ex-con... it's kinda fun!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com