Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 853s(not SP models)>MP-2  (Read 7572 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:853s(not SP models)>MP-2
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 07:17:58 PM »
Schwilly, I would love to hear some samples...thanks for the offer!  I would agree that running stack side isnt optimal, but for the shows I am running at lately, you tape where you get your tickets from in the mad rush on the day they go on sale!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
STG? how about just send it to my lab for the next 2 days. ;)
download it like everyone else :P

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 07:21:23 PM »
Schwilly, I would love to hear some samples...thanks for the offer!  I would agree that running stack side isnt optimal, but for the shows I am running at lately, you tape where you get your tickets from in the mad rush on the day they go on sale!

oh shibby, well, pm me your addy and I'll have some discs in the mail for you on tuesday.  I've taped, some local funk and rock bands,  portugese goth metal, and the rave last night.  These mics are pretty forgiving in shitty sounding rooms when I have used the hypers!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »

oh shibby, well, pm me your addy and I'll have some discs in the mail for you on tuesday.  I've taped, some local funk and rock bands,  portugese goth metal, and the rave last night.  These mics are pretty forgiving in shitty sounding rooms when I have used the hypers!

Thanks Schwilly, PM sent!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »
schwilly, you taped a rave? am i missing something here? just your normal everyday rave with like a dj?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »
many djs, and much great electronic mind-tinglage

Offline drumminj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 12:31:46 PM »
Hey Nick, sorry I didn't chime in here earlier...haven't been trolling all the forums here.

I have some samples with the at853Rx as well.  One mic'ed right off the stack at a very boomy bar here.  I've had no problem with distortion or anything with these mics.  The bass response on them is great, IMO. I used to own a pair of the SP at853s, and they just couldn't handle the SPL at a lot of shows.

I haven't listened to your sample.  I'll d/l it tonight.  But if you'd like some samples with my mics, I can dig up some of the raw recordings and make some mp3s.  I don't claim to make great recordings, but it should give you a good feel for what they pick up.    Schwilly's samples are much better than mine, though :(

i can prolly get a pair of the SP cmc-4's to run side-by-side with the at853Rx if you really want. I think a friend of mine has a pair.

J

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
haha, sorry, not because schwilly can't tape, but because the 853s are, what, $300?

$340 new, I think.  At least that's what I got mine for.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »
Hey Nick, sorry I didn't chime in here earlier...haven't been trolling all the forums here.

I have some samples with the at853Rx as well.  One mic'ed right off the stack at a very boomy bar here.  I've had no problem with distortion or anything with these mics.  The bass response on them is great, IMO. I used to own a pair of the SP at853s, and they just couldn't handle the SPL at a lot of shows.

I haven't listened to your sample.  I'll d/l it tonight.  But if you'd like some samples with my mics, I can dig up some of the raw recordings and make some mp3s.  I don't claim to make great recordings, but it should give you a good feel for what they pick up.    Schwilly's samples are much better than mine, though :(

i can prolly get a pair of the SP cmc-4's to run side-by-side with the at853Rx if you really want. I think a friend of mine has a pair.

J

actually if you dont mind just mp3ing a couple of samples, that would be great....no worries about running side by side...I know what the SP mics are not capable of...just trying to make sure that I wont have the same problem if I buy your mics...Thanks!

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
Sure, I'll do that tonight and PM you.  If you want a sample from Schwilly, he actually uploaded one to me the other day. It's still on my server, I believe, so PM me and I'll give you the login info.

You don't mind, do ya Schwilly?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 12:51:38 PM »
that is great, PM sent!  Thanks!  +T

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »
no minding here ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »
OK, bumping this thread because I finally had a chance to run the 853RX's in a stealth situation...bassy as hell, loud fucking shows, and the tapes turned out great.....the SP versions would absolutely have distorted during trapt as loud as it was....look for tapes to be circulating in the next week or so

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 01:52:12 PM »
great news nick!  keep it up

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »
OK, bumping this thread because I finally had a chance to run the 853RX's in a stealth situation...bassy as hell, loud fucking shows, and the tapes turned out great.....the SP versions would absolutely have distorted during trapt as loud as it was....look for tapes to be circulating in the next week or so

Good to hear!  I also taped my first show with my modded at943's:

http://www.geocities.com/gdloco/Main_Page.html?1084072968171

Some mp3 samples at the bottom, no bass rolloff was used and it sounds just fine.  I think those bass distortion hell/clipping days are long over my friend   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com