Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps Outdoors vs Indoors  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Schoeps Outdoors vs Indoors
« on: March 15, 2004, 11:43:05 PM »
Having searched the archives, I am surprised that nobody has commented on this one yet:   I think the schoeps sound best outdoors, particularly the 4Vs seem to shine FOB outdoors.  

what brought this to mind is a listen to the 3/8/03 MMW show, which I pulled from Paul C's 4V rig, and then seeded to etree; it damn near sounds like a stage tape.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline jacallery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re:Schoeps Outdoors vs Indoors
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 01:27:32 AM »
The 4v's have a pretty smooth off axis response, so it will sound more direct than a mk4, and if he was in the right spot it will almost
produce a stage-type sound.  You should hear some 41's FOB
outside.......or even 41v's..

callery
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 12:37:45 PM »
I think every mic sounds better outdoors...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 12:39:44 PM »
i concurr tim.
Outdoors allow a slightly more natural sound since there are not as many reflections from the venue that the mics pick up.  Plus the low end frequencies just sound so much more smooth outside!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 12:41:09 PM »
I agree with Tim. The majority of the mics I've heard sound better outside. The best tapes I've pulled with my b&k's have been outdoor shows.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »
I have been extremely pleased with my results with 4's and 21's outdoors.  I never really was able to give my pair of 2's a fair shot outside, but have heard some great tapes from Mixon with these caps.  

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 02:23:06 PM »
Strictly from a "listener" standpoint, as I've never owned or ran Schoeps, I never liked their sound until I heard some outdoor shows.

Kevin Straker's ABB Atlanta tape last year (mk4>kc5>v3>dap1) is one of the best amphitheatre tapes I've ever had...and the first show to really win me over to Shepz...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 06:02:53 PM »
OK, so most mics sound better outside; but I think with schoeps the difference is more pronounced.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 06:17:34 PM »
most of my best recordings are from outdoors, but anytime you don't have to deal with a room, the tape will usually sound better, unless the wind is howling...then it sucks
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline murph

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 11:00:08 AM »
Having searched the archives, I am surprised that nobody has commented on this one yet:   I think the schoeps sound best outdoors, particularly the 4Vs seem to shine FOB outdoors.  

what brought this to mind is a listen to the 3/8/03 MMW show, which I pulled from Paul C's 4V rig, and then seeded to etree; it damn near sounds like a stage tape.

the V is where it's at.   ;D

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »
taping outdoors is like taping onstage.  All things being equal, its pretty tough to mess up a tape

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 05:47:05 PM »
I like the schoeps much better outdoors....indoors, to me, they earn their "dark" reputation.

I just got  Phish 9/18/1999 Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA ...the source is:

CMC6 + mk41->Oade m148->DA-P20

and this tape SMOKES.....I'm not usually a fan of the schoeps but this tape just sounds so damn good!!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 09:18:28 AM »
Wait, let me get this straight:  certain mics sound better in certain situations?  You mean to tell me that there is not an end all microphone?

Back to the drawing board...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 10:46:36 AM »
I like the schoeps much better outdoors....indoors, to me, they earn their "dark" reputation.

I just got  Phish 9/18/1999 Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA ...the source is:

CMC6 + mk41->Oade m148->DA-P20

and this tape SMOKES.....I'm not usually a fan of the schoeps but this tape just sounds so damn good!!

I think they sound dark indoors because they are soo accurate...at least that is my opinion. Most sound in small rooms that I tape in sucks bad, bad system, horrible acoutics, and I think the schoeps just pick up that dank sound all the more accurately. When I play my tapes from a place I tape called Milestones in Rochester and turn it up loud and sit in the sweet spot, it sounds just like I am at milestones, shitty acoustics and chatter all included
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 06:36:21 PM »
i agree, schoeps sound way better outside.  indoors they sound too big and boomy to my liking.  i don't know if i like outdoor, or indoor tapes better, it depends i like indoor tapes sometime cause you get the reverberation from the room, and i think its kinda cool, but outdoors, i have heard some outdoor tapes that are way too distant.  all in all, most tapes are good, and i'll listen to almost anything.  peace.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 09:54:09 PM »
Phish
08/12/98  Vernon Downs - Vernon, NY

I: La Grange, Makisupa Policeman, Funky Bitch, Possum, Roggae, Character Zero,
Ramble On, Slave to the Traffic Light

II: Mike's Song > Simple > Rift, Loving Cup, Sleeping Monkey, Weekapaug Groove,
The Squirming Coil

E: Burning Down the House, You Enjoy Myself

Source: (FOB) Schoeps CMC6/MK4 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Tascam DA-P1 > CD-R > EAC > SHN

This is another excellent outdoor example.  I usually am not a bit schoeps fan either..but this outdoor tape smokes.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com