Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions on SP BMC-6 / BMC-12 / CMC-4 mini mics  (Read 12129 times)

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Re:Opinions on SP BMC-6 / BMC-12 / CMC-4 mini mics
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2004, 12:27:42 AM »
Unless you're set on that size/price of a batt box, you can get the -1 and get level control on it.  My :twocents:
Mike

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
  • I only see in infrared.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2004, 01:12:39 AM »
Are you referring to the SP-SPSB-1 ?  Adding the bass-rolloff and volume features jacks the price up to $99.00 for the battery-box alone.  I'd hate to have the vol pot or sliders start to get scratchy on me.  

Could get the bass-rolloff and single vol knob on the -6... but again it jacks the price up to the $100 mark.  Was really hoping I could get by setting the record volume on the Archos. I've got to use their meters anyway.
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 01:35:25 AM »
Are you referring to the SP-SPSB-1 ?  Adding the bass-rolloff and volume features jacks the price up to $99.00 for the battery-box alone.  I'd hate to have the vol pot or sliders start to get scratchy on me.  

Could get the bass-rolloff and single vol knob on the -6... but again it jacks the price up to the $100 mark.  Was really hoping I could get by setting the record volume on the Archos. I've got to use their meters anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.  I wasn't aware off the top of my head that you could get the volume nob on the -6.  If you plug the batt box line in I don't think you can use the volume control on the archos (and line in is the whole point of a batt box).
Mike

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 03:19:24 AM »
cheers!

we're always here, don't forget us ;)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2004, 02:36:53 PM »
Glad to see another soundpro at853 stealth taper jumping on the wagon!

I have the -1 and -6, the -1 fell apart on me and sent it in for warranty repairs.  I also own the 6 with the hinge so i can pop it open quickly to set volume on it, works ok i suppose.  The bass filter, for me, works like it should, rolling off incredible thick midbass that always haunts rock and metal shows (perfect example: current Metallica tour).  That bass is shit and can muddy up a recording without any bass rolloff quickly, imho.  

I also have the same mics you picked up with hypers, oni's (never used the omni's!) and standard cards.  I use the hypers all the time now and like what i hear, altho, they are a bit bright and rolloff the bass themselves...might want to take that into consideration when selecting a bass rolloff.  

I taped a Neil Young show last night and there's some light static (clipping) even tho i was hitting a constant -2db on the M1 all night, so i guess this is where (i think it was nickgregory?) was talking about the soundpro at853's clipping easily due to excessive bass in a show.  Just take that food for thought when taping, next show i tape i'll make sure to keep the M1 meter around -5db tops.

Enjoy taping with the at853's!

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »
next show i tape i'll make sure to keep the M1 meter around -5db tops.

definitley give it a shot, but in my experience it does not matter what level you are feeding the recording device...the mics, due to their powering scheme overload and distort long before that signal gets to your dat...

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 09:22:45 PM »
Just to clarify... you CAN use the recording level adjustments on the Archos Gmini 120 while running line in.  I can't yet say how accurate the meters are... but they do seem to function.  The display shows a 'progress bar' that seems to go from 'zero' to 'full volume' as well as the left and right level meters.  Levels can be adjusted on the fly while recording through the line in.

I'm concerned by nickgregory's comments... are both the CMC-4's (AT853) and the CMC-2's (AT831) prone to distorting or clipping in 'bass-heavy' concert environments?  Do the 853's really need Phantom Power for high SPL situations?  
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2004, 09:26:11 PM »
I'm concerned by nickgregory's comments... are both the CMC-4's (AT853) and the CMC-2's (AT831) prone to distorting or clipping in 'bass-heavy' concert environments?  Do the 853's really need Phantom Power for high SPL situations?  

Yes to both... your bass rolloff will help with the first one, and using phantom power (and obviously making them phantom power capable) will help with the second.
Mike

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2004, 09:56:46 PM »
I'm not ready to spend on making the CMC-4's phantom power capable yet...   so for high SPL situations would I be better off with the CMC-2's running off a battery box?
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2004, 10:22:28 PM »
different people have different results, but I can tell you from experience, at snoop dogg/chili peppers ~15 ft from the bass cabinet and Kid Rock ~40 feet from the bass cabinet, the mics distorted....it is a powering issue, which is common from what I understand with all Sound Pros AT versions, simply because they were not made for 9 V powering and as a result you do not take advantage of their full SPL specs.

That being said, if I could have moved to the center of the venue in both cases, I dont think it would have been a problem.  The key was the proximity to the bass cabinet, which was head level (usually is) and was rignt in front of me.  Tough to move for an assigned seating event.

Also, bass roll off will not help you in this situation.  The mics are distorting prior to hitting the 9v module...

At their price point, they are reasonable stealth mics, just have to be careful where you set up...which I never had alot of options for.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2004, 10:40:03 PM »
fwiw, I had no problems using the SP-CMC-2 (AT831c) with the battery box, however, my recordings are MUCH better now with the AT853Rx.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2004, 10:42:35 PM »
fwiw, I had no problems using the SP-CMC-2 (AT831c) with the battery box, however, my recordings are MUCH better now with the AT853Rx.

I also made my share of quality recordings with the sound pros version...hell my sheryl crow tape is being sold all over ebay <gritting my teeth>....I just had two very bad experiences that annoyed the crap out me...so I upgraded to the AT853Rx...but there are plenty of people that have the sound pro's version and love them...just take my opinion as a dissenting one...

Offline skua

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2004, 11:32:24 PM »
OK... well Monday is upon me... time to bite the bullet and make my decision... I'll let you know what I decide to go with.  

Once again, thanks for all the great info. You guys are the best.
\m/_skua_\m/

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2004, 05:03:43 AM »
we know you'll bite the right bullet :)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 09:45:12 AM »
Hell no, the 831s are not prone to distortion. Best entry-level mics there are. For $200 out the door, they cannot be beat.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com