Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dynamic Microphones?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
Dynamic Microphones?
« on: April 12, 2004, 04:29:47 PM »
Hello everyone, Just curious why there arent alot of people using dynamic mics for recording. It seems like they would be better suited for location recording as they dont require phantom power. But I dont really know much about them other than that. Any info is appreciated

Thanks

-Bob

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Dynamic Microphones?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 04:38:51 PM »
dynamic mics do not have nearly as good a frequency response as condensor mics. that would be one reason, I'm sure there are others.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 05:13:35 PM »
Hello everyone, Just curious why there arent alot of people using dynamic mics for recording. It seems like they would be better suited for location recording as they dont require phantom power. But I dont really know much about them other than that. Any info is appreciated

Thanks
           -Bob

since most dynamic microphones, at least i think, are designed for vocals, there is a huge mid range boost to get better response from a voice.  when these mics are used in the field it will yield a very harsh sounding recording in the mid range that can be very fatiguing.  

as tim said condensers have much better frequency response, typically more flat, with full bandwidth from 20Hz-20kHz. most dynamic mics do not have this full bandwidth.

i'm sure there are more reasons but these are the ones i could come up with right off the top of my head.

Brian

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
this thread has reminded me of a recording i have heard with this rig ina  very small venue:

shure sm57's > Behringer UL....(2 channel battery powered mixer) > MD

mics were about 8' from the stage.  to be totally honest....it sounded pretty damn decent....little harsh in the midrange but very comparable to my copy of the show. made me think of this funny slogan punk record labels have for the sm57:

"The Shure SM57 condensor microphone......use it for everything!!!!!"

;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 05:34:52 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:56:21 PM »
Also, phantom power wont cut it for powering those mics, which is why you dont see a lot of us using them for field recording.  
Mixers and home/studio products are able to supply ample power to the dynamic mics.  

Here is a link:
http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_htm/tips/mictip1.htm

phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 07:12:04 PM »
Also, phantom power wont cut it for powering those mics, which is why you dont see a lot of us using them for field recording.  
Mixers and home/studio products are able to supply ample power to the dynamic mics.  

Here is a link:
http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_htm/tips/mictip1.htm

phil

Maybe I've missed your point here.  Dynamic mics do not need to be powered by phantom power or by any other sourse.

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 07:58:32 PM »
Dynamic mics do not need to be powered by phantom power or by any other sourse.

Correct-a-mundo

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 08:53:45 PM »
I recorded some shows with Shure SM57's in the dinosaur days.
Moving to condensors was a huge improvement.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:41 AM »
we still run a pair of Beyer M201's from time to time. When the AKG's are out of town I will run the beyers.

The tapes are pretty damn good. They don't have to low end of the AKG's but these mics made many Grateful Dead masters from the 80's ->

most recently ran them for Psychedelic Breakfast 2004-01-22.  Also used them exclusively at Wormtown Festival last year in th late night cabins, suspended from the rafters X/Y Tapes smoke
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com