Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need windscreen advice  (Read 4537 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Need windscreen advice
« on: April 15, 2004, 02:41:16 PM »
So I've got these Audix mics.  They're extremely small, which is cool but they do not fit in my DPA windscreens.  So I'm looking into getting something a little better than the tiny screens they come with (which surely wont do a thing outdoors).  I saw in the zeppelin thread a company that makes windscreen for lavalier mics.  Think these would work for the micros?
http://www.rycote.com/products/lavalerie/default.htm

What kind of wind protection would these allow?  As good as the DPAs?  Better?  Worse?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re:Need windscreen advice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 03:46:32 PM »
This may sound silly, but will the DPA screens fit over the small screens that come with the Audixes (Audices? Audixen?)?

That picture is hilarious, by the way...the guy looks like he's nursing a Tribble:

Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:08:24 PM »
This may sound silly, but will the DPA screens fit over the small screens that come with the Audixes (Audices? Audixen?)?

Dunno, Nick is in the process of getting me the rest of the gear, which includes the windscreens.  I have a feeling that the DPA screens will fit over the audix ones, however the DPA screens look absolutely huge over those mics.  I was thinking these may be a little more low profile...

I think I may pick up a pair anyway, they're only $45 for the pair...

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re:Need windscreen advice (1290)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »
John, I just picked up a pair of 1290 and will be taping my first show with them (indoors) this weekend.  I also have some DPA 0896; the DPAs will fit over the Audix w/s, but the Audix w/s will probably come off deep inside the DPA (I didn't try it) when you pull out the mic.  If you secured the Audix w/s with a small diameter rubber band, that might ensure you can remove the DPA w/s without losing the Audix w/s.

I'll be receiving a pair of AT8117 windscreens next week that should fit nicely for outdoor use.  The AT8102 I have fits tightly enough on the Audix that it doesn't fall off when turned upside-down, but it is loose enough that it could easily be brushed off inadvertently.  I'll probably try the small rubber band just to be safe.  Oh yeah, the AT8117 is only about $7 apiece compared to the Rycote.

If I can get a portable wind meter, I'll be running some indoor tests with a fan to see which combination is best.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 06:06:50 PM by Spaceman S/PDIF »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:45:39 PM »
Just got my AT8117 windscreens and thought I'd post some more info.  They are serious in size, though I have still to do some tests to determine how well they work.  Here's the size comparison AT8102 vs AT8117.
AT8102: 2" long, 1" diameter, mic opening, 3/8", mic insertion depth over 1"
AT8117: 3" long, 2" diameter, mic opening 5/16", mic insertion depth 2 1/2"
The foam material of the AT8102 is softer than the stiffer AT8117.  The AT8117 is oval in shape vs the cylindrical shape of the DPA 0896.

The Audix 1290 fits nicely in either of the AT windscreens, but I won't know how well they attenuate wind rumble until after I do some field testing.  Thought I would pass along some of my legwork to other micros owners.
Price from Full Compass is @ $7.74 (special order), B&H and SP are both higher.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 06:07:51 PM by Spaceman S/PDIF »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 01:53:55 PM »
Well I already bought the Rycote's, but B&H has a pretty good return policy.  I could probably do an exchange for those AT's.  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 03:30:05 PM »
I'm curious to know if the Rycote actually fits on the Audix.  I haven't been impressed with the DPA 0896 for outdoor taping, and I'm wondering if the Rycote type would be better.  In general, I think fuzzy types may be superior to foam types.  If the wind is blowing that hard though, taping with a 17' stand doesn't sound like a good idea!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 06:08:37 PM by Spaceman S/PDIF »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 03:50:48 PM »
I haven't been impressed with the DPA 0896 for outdoor taping, and I'm wondering if the Rycote type would be better.

Have you tried the big-ass Shure A81WS?  Very, very effective IME.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »
John, I'm curious to know if the Rycote actually fits on the Audix.  I haven't been impressed with the DPA 0896 for outdoor taping, and I'm wondering if the Rycote type would be better.  In general, I think fuzzy types may be superior to foam types.  If the wind is blowing that hard though, taping with a 17' stand doesn't sound like a good idea!

Ragan

The Rycote is a lot smaller than I thought it would be from the pictures online.  They don't block the wind as well as the DPA screens (which I found out at Blues Traveler do fit over the Audix screens).  I'm gonna swap out the Rycotes for a pair of ATs and see if they can work as well but more lo profile. ;)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 04:56:44 PM »
I haven't been impressed with the DPA 0896 for outdoor taping, and I'm wondering if the Rycote type would be better.

Have you tried the big-ass Shure A81WS?  Very, very effective IME.

Yeah, I have heard the A81WS come highly recommended by many, and, if I still had standard sized mics, I would have picked up a pair before this year's festival.

The AT8117 are intended for outdoor use on the AT853, and they look huge on the Audix 1290s. Here's hoping they will perform similarly to the Shure. If it's not up to snuff, I'll try using the A81WS over the stock Audix windscreen as a last resort.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 06:10:08 PM by Spaceman S/PDIF »

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 08:01:14 PM »
hey who has the best price on that A81ws, thinking about geting a pair for my dpas

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com