Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Really starting to think I should run the roll-off full time  (Read 9264 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Really starting to think I should run the roll-off full time
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2004, 09:46:01 PM »

hexyjones

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 05:24:10 AM »
just coming out of nowhere on this thread...

but with all the audio wizardry we have access to - isn't it better to run the mics wide open and adjust the bass later in one of the popular editors...I always thought the general audio/mixing philosophy was "it's easier to take away from what's already there, than to add what doesn't exist..."

Also - remember there's a whole lot of audiophile types that think subwoofers suck dog...I'd review my recordings on a good high-resolution 2 channel system...

Jason B

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 11:09:04 AM »
I am going to run at an outdoor festival today and tomorrow. I've decided that I am going to run subcards NOS or DIN with no rolloff (the horror!). Source will be U89i > m148 > V3. I'll post the results later.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 11:40:09 AM »
In most of the sources I have with u89s the bass isn't too overwealming...in fact I wish it was a little stronger.   I assume the roll off was used in the sources I have.....too bad there isn't a middle ground between thunder and wanting more.  FWIW I'd love to hear something with no roll off!!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Jason B

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2004, 11:57:25 AM »
In most of the sources I have with u89s the bass isn't too overwealming...in fact I wish it was a little stronger.   I assume the roll off was used in the sources I have.....too bad there isn't a middle ground between thunder and wanting more.  FWIW I'd love to hear something with no roll off!!

Send my two 60m DATs and I'll send you a copy of my RWTC show. You're gonna blow your subwoofer...

Jason B

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2004, 11:59:04 AM »
I may try to run the 50hz rolloff on the V3 today since I will be A) outdoors in an open air environment B) I'll be running the subcards. I may let it ride though and bring the boom.

You live, you learn, and then you get Luvs.  :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:01:12 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2004, 12:03:52 PM »
your assuming they are going to have a PA capable of bringing the boom...I envision a couple kenwood speakers on the back of a flatbed

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2004, 12:08:02 PM »
your assuming they are going to have a PA capable of bringing the boom...I envision a couple kenwood speakers on the back of a flatbed

What he said...

Jason B

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2004, 12:09:16 PM »

Have you ever been to one of these? They usually rent a nice PA for the stages. It usually sounds pretty good. I am sure the tapes will come out nice. If I get out there, and they have severely skimped on the sound system, I won't tape. I doubt that will be the case though.

Also, I'm not so sure I am going to go down so early anymore. If my memory srves me correctly, it never getss really crowded down there, so I may head down right before the Europa Jazz Quartet, around 2 pm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:09:43 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2004, 12:12:25 PM »
never been, so yes I am being argumnetative... :)  I am sure it is a nice setup though...I am still in awe of the setup that cityfest had....really, really nice sounding....

looking at the schedule I am thinking europa and col bruce may be the best bets today....probably get there by 2 as well...only thing that concerns me is the line on the site of be prepared to park blocks away, we get 75k people to these things....whatever though..just hauling the rig and a couple of bag chairs!

Jason B

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2004, 12:15:52 PM »
Well, let's plan to meet there around 2:15/2:30 then. You bringing the wife? I would like to get the Dave Samuals set, just not sure how the whole set timimg will play out.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »
yup, sue is coming....I am planning on just getting the europa and code talker sets, but if Codetalkers end early, I may run to the dave samuels stage...need to see how they have the two stages set up as well....

just went outside, quite a bit breezy, time to break out the big ass windscreens

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2004, 03:57:43 PM »
Jason, bring your headphones, and kick in and out of hpf2. Its a soft enough change that you won't go :-X when you hear the differences. rolling off below 50hz isn't that great a risk.

I've been playing around with it, alot, with the *Hutchins Consort, and you can barely hear a difference when the switch was thrown. And if not carefully plotted out, I doubt you'd find where the differences are in playback.
In noisy rooms (ac systems) I will often times run hpf2 on the treble side of the room, and leave the bass open.
result: total bonus of purity of highs without muddy bass bleed over, and plenty of bass in the appropriate channel. You wouldn't be able to attribute it to hpf2 in one channel w/out me telling you though.

*btw, the Hutchins Consort plays in a "U" that allows the highs to be isolated to the left channel, and lows to the right, with the mids split between left and right channels.

I need to do some orchestra taping- sounds like fun stuff
Team Bama Alumni

Jason B

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2004, 06:38:34 PM »
Alright, just got back from the Col. Bruce Hampton set. I ran subs DIN with no rolloff, and the tape sounds excellent. I'm sure Nick will chime in here in a bit as well about how his came out. It was an open air setup, and I am pretty pleased with the results.

Really looking forward to the C. Hunter set tomorrow. We were on the "city" stage which is the smaller of the two with a far inferior PA compared to the "main" stage. Hopefully we'll have even better results tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 06:55:18 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2004, 10:17:12 PM »
no rolloff run, and the tapes smoke (as expected for the gefells :) ).  That being said, the tapes need more critical listen, but there was no low end when listening today live, but the mics compensated well....will be interested to hear tomorrow on the better PA/stage

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com