Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HPF settings for V3 & Jumpers  (Read 2279 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
HPF settings for V3 & Jumpers
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:52:29 PM »
Hey all,

Jason B's thread below got me wondering about the various roll-off settings on the V3. I personally have never run any roll-off ( I run 4022>V3) , but I was thinking it might be interesting to try for some of those really bassy indoor club shows.

Have any of you out there have played around with the different HPF settings on the V3? I know that both the setpoint of the roll-off filter and slope are adjustable via the internal jumpers in the V3, and I was wondering if anyone has tried different settings and found any certain settings that sound "best" for your "typical" boomy indoor show? I realize that all situations are going to be different in the amount of roll off needed (depending on the size of the room, PA, band, sound guy, etc...)  but was just curious if anyone has experimented with this. What settings have you all found to work the best?

(Yeah, I know I should go out and play around with this myself but with school I haven't been getting out to shows too much these days)

Peace out-
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re:HPF settings for V3 & Jumpers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »
i swear the HPF on my v3 is backwards.  I tried it during an opening set once, and monitored the output.  i could have sworn there was *more* bass in what i was hearing when i switched the HPF on

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 03:45:10 PM »
maybe cleaner more hearable bass tones = *more* bass?

my thoughts exactly...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 04:38:40 PM »
>> maybe cleaner more hearable bass tones = *more* bass?<<

no, it was more like muddier, heavier bass

i thought i was going crazy, so I then flipped the HPF just on the right channel, while the left was "normal."  the right channel sounded like someone turned up the bass knob

i'll try it again this weekend.  in other news, i may be testing a mytek stereo192 this weekend too!

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 05:43:24 PM »
I've used the HPF-2 setting with great results with my Nak700's. We all know how bottom heavy the Naks are....the HPF-2 setting really tamed the shit out of those mics (even if I ran NOS, DINN or ORTF).

Great feature for sure! Haven't had the need yet to use it with the Gefells, but perhaps in the not so distant future. Don't be afraid to experiment in different settings. Get to know your gear and what it can do for YOU!!

Have fun!! That V3 (Grace fluffin) is a wonderful pre!!

LoS  :fish:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 07:44:42 PM »
 :hmmm: I think I'll try the hpf2 on the V3 next time I tape as opposed to running the 80hz roll-off on the Neumann's...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com