Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cards or hypers...  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
cards or hypers...
« on: April 28, 2004, 04:32:21 PM »
...is the question I ask myself since purchasing hyper caps (KA500H) last December. I've been so pleased with the hypers that even in small (not great sounding) venues the hypers are getting the nod. The only time I'm using the cards anymore is when I'm upfront or onstage. Everything else, hypers which for me, makes them more veritle than the cards.

Like most, when I originally bought my mics, they were packaged with card caps but now I'm wondering why they don't just package them with hypers (by defaulf) to begin with?

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Re:cards or hypers...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 04:54:32 PM »
Good question for tapers, although hypers may not be the capsule of choice for musicians. I have yet to try my card caps out yet on my Gefells. Been blown away by the results I get with my hypers as well. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to run the cards in Portland in the Aladdin Theatre (since we might be able to run very close to the stage). Other than that I have been saving them for only vey good sounding venues or outdoors up close taping (from the advice of other Gefell owners).

LoS  :fish:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 05:08:52 PM »
I had the mk4 and mk41 caps. Was using the hypers all the time, pretty much anytime I am indoors I use them. Used the cards during the summer some, but that was it. 9 out of 10 times I would rather use my mk41's than the cards. One of the reasons I ditched the mk4's to try out the TL's.  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »
normally I prefer cards as I don't like the low-end rolloff on *many* hypers...makes them almost too bright/thin sounding, though, I am a fan of thick punchy bass.

there are definately instances where hypers are called for/needed(me thinks I missed 1 such instance at STS9 this past weekend). imo, I think wrong placement/config makes people like hypers so much...example:

how many times do you see people running X/Y when a quick visual look at the room/mic placement SCREAMS DIN or ORTF? they often end up with a (relatively subjective) muddy, mono recording. instead of changing configs, they change the caps?
the recordings quality seems to improve so the taper thinks the cards arent as good.

</rambling>

the water's clean and innocent

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 06:48:21 PM »
I run my mk41's one way, DIN, 17cm 90 degrees, only way to run them, XY with the 41s can be harsh
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:28:21 PM »
normally I prefer cards as I don't like the low-end rolloff on *many* hypers...makes them almost too bright/thin sounding, though, I am a fan of thick punchy bass.

</rambling>

I agree, many hyper tapes I have heard sound a bit too thin to me, namely the AKG CK63  and Neumann AK50's. I do like the MK41's, these seem to have a fuller low end than others. I have some decent tapes on the MG 210's too.

To my ears, in general I dig the hyper tapes when the show was too bassy/boomy to begin with, hypers seem to clean things up a bit.

Peace,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 01:11:24 AM »
I run my mk41's one way, DIN, 17cm 90 degrees, only way to run them, XY with the 41s can be harsh

DINA

*ducks*

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 02:35:21 AM »

</rambling>

I agree, many hyper tapes I have heard sound a bit too thin to me, namely the AKG CK63  and Neumann AK50's. I do like the MK41's, these seem to have a fuller low end than others. I have some decent tapes on the MG 210's too.

To my ears, in general I dig the hyper tapes when the show was too bassy/boomy to begin with, hypers seem to clean things up a bit.

Peace,
Ben

Funny, I think the 63's kick ass! Much better sounding than a lot of other hypers IMO. I like AKG though.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 03:05:31 PM »

DINA

*ducks*

uh?
In Tyler we Trust

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
DINA is 17cm @ 90*
DIN is 20cm @ 90*

the water's clean and innocent

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 03:27:08 PM »
ahhh, cool, didn't know that, I was thought of it as DIN with hypers and DIN with cards, didn't know there was an acronymn for it.  :)
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 06:33:31 PM »
yeah, that's why when I record 14cm/90* I call it DINB ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 08:32:51 AM »
schwill, that camel toe is OUTTA CONTROL, she may be the most sexy person on the planet
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 04:18:16 PM »
Love that picture, looks like she is going commando ;D
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com