Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: placement help needed  (Read 2110 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
placement help needed
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:46:13 PM »
Ok... here is the deal.  I have volenteered my services to record a benefit concert for a local jazz musician.  There are many musicians coming in for this event, and I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of # of people on stage and instrumentation.
     I have the option of doing whatever I want.  I'm leaning tword a matrix because I've done that enough to where I'm comfortable with it, but I've been told not to expect to much from the sound crew as they are students.  I've also been told that the room(MATC auditorium in Milwaukee) is very "live".
    So, I'm thinking stage micing may be my best bet.  I just got my AKG391's and I still have my Rode NT-5s.  I am more comfortable with the rodes because I've used them on stage before and I know what to expect.  This will be my first whirl with the AKG's.  If anyone has suggestions on how I should set up 4 mics on stage I would appreciate it.  For now I'm thinking the rodes front and center in an xy and the AKG's on the stage corners pointing in.  I will mix the four mics through my behringer mxb1002 mixer > ua-5 >jb3.
Any suggestions would be helpful, the concert is Sunday night, and I will be offline until Saturday.

Thanks in advance!!!
Matt

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:placement help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:04:59 PM »
Ok... here is the deal.  I have volenteered my services to record a benefit concert for a local jazz musician.  There are many musicians coming in for this event, and I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of # of people on stage and instrumentation.
     I have the option of doing whatever I want.  I'm leaning tword a matrix because I've done that enough to where I'm comfortable with it, but I've been told not to expect to much from the sound crew as they are students.  I've also been told that the room(MATC auditorium in Milwaukee) is very "live".
    So, I'm thinking stage micing may be my best bet.  I just got my AKG391's and I still have my Rode NT-5s.  I am more comfortable with the rodes because I've used them on stage before and I know what to expect.  This will be my first whirl with the AKG's.  If anyone has suggestions on how I should set up 4 mics on stage I would appreciate it.  For now I'm thinking the rodes front and center in an xy and the AKG's on the stage corners pointing in.  I will mix the four mics through my behringer mxb1002 mixer > ua-5 >jb3.
Any suggestions would be helpful, the concert is Sunday night, and I will be offline until Saturday.

Thanks in advance!!!
Matt

well I mixed up the dates, and it is actually the 19th (not the 9th), so I will still take suggestions.  I shipped out my rodes to their new lucky owner (thanks Kirk), so they won't be an option.  I may be able to get another pair to do 4 mics, but I'm thinking 2 mics may just be fine.  I've only done stage micing with a matrix set up, and I would be interested in hearing suggestions for placement with 2 or 4 mics (AKG 391's) split or stereo center stage, hight of stand?  Do stage monitors effect the sound if they are present?

Thanks in advance
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 02:14:04 PM »
i've only ran my 391's on stage once, for a matrix. it came out well, a little SBD heavy for me. but good none the less.  I ran them XY @115, and from my experience XY kinda rolls off the bass a bit.  I've always had good luck with DIN.  '

for a room like that, depending on the crowd, i taped in an auditorium that sounded really live and open, and i taped from the balcony, I liked it, since i liked the sound of the room.  On stage would have given me a more upfront sound obviosly but onstage you don't get the sound of the room.  Personaly i like that alot, so thats what i generally go for.  good luck man, hope it comes out alright.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:36:23 AM »
i've only ran my 391's on stage once, for a matrix. it came out well, a little SBD heavy for me. but good none the less.  I ran them XY @115, and from my experience XY kinda rolls off the bass a bit.  I've always had good luck with DIN.  '

for a room like that, depending on the crowd, i taped in an auditorium that sounded really live and open, and i taped from the balcony, I liked it, since i liked the sound of the room.  On stage would have given me a more upfront sound obviosly but onstage you don't get the sound of the room.  Personaly i like that alot, so thats what i generally go for.  good luck man, hope it comes out alright.

Thanks mexi,
the guy whos bennefit it is warned me that it is a "live" room and would be tough to tape.  That makes me think he doesn't want a lot of room sound.  I wish I could see the  room first, but I'm just going to have to wing it.  I got a little advice from the guy who sold me the akg's (jnorman), and he suggested on stage,ortf, dfc, 8' up.  I'm not sure if they will want my stand flying that high, so I may just keep it at about 3-4', or go just beyond the stage and go up 8' over stage height.  I guess it all depends on what people will go for visually.  It also depends on how they are miced I guess.  The matrix sure is looking easier at this point.  When I do a matrix I usually do stage corners, pointing in, and facing the audience.  I have also miced the corners behind the band and that worked out very well.
     I really want to do a good job for them because I think they are going to try to use copies of the recording to solicit more donations.  I suppose we will see what happens.  I always get a little nervous about going into these types of things blind, but in the end it has always worked out just fine... I'm sure one way or another I will pull a kick ass wav for them.  Any more input would be appreciated!!!
Matt

Offline steve-o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »

I also recommend DIN because I always seem to have good luck with it when I run the 300s.  Especially since you're gonna have to wing it; this should be the safest way to go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com