Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO mics similiar to Nak cm-700  (Read 3188 times)

Offline dano420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
ISO mics similiar to Nak cm-700
« on: May 26, 2004, 06:57:48 PM »
I'm looking for mics that sound similiar to the Nakamichi CM-700's (since they're next to impossible to get) and wanted to get some opinions on what sounds the closest. I also don't want to spend a whole lot, maybe around $500/pair, less if possible. Thanks!

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
Re:ISO mics similiar to Nak cm-700
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:23:19 PM »
Yep, I was following that auction also but once it went past $1000, I pretty much dumped the thought of ever getting them. I think I may just save up for some 480's now. ;)

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:26:28 PM »
under 500 per pair?  *cough* Studio Projects C4s *cough*

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:13:53 AM »
Yeah, I hear you about the nostalgia thing and what that set went for on ebay was just ridiculous.

I have been looking at those Studio Projects C4's but haven't heard anything from them yet. I'll look for a sample to download and go from there. Thanks!

What about a good mic with interchangable capsules at a good price? I'm still thinking about the 480's but who knows.... and what about smaller stealth mics? I use the AT853rx mics now and they sound really good, imo. That's probably what I liked about the cm-700 is the mod that could be done to make them smaller, which is great for stealth situations and not having to use phantom power.

Offline jhirte

• Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »
If I remember correctly, Crown makes a model based on the CM700's, xx700mp (matched pair) for like 450?? the only thing, is they don't have interchangeable caps (fixed Cards) and they are phantom powered...

-Jim

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 02:54:42 PM »
I took a listen to the SP C4 mics and they sound pretty good! I also wrote SP and asked about hyper caps for them and they said that they are working on making some! Just FYI...

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 04:45:27 PM »
If I remember correctly, Crown makes a model based on the CM700's, xx700mp (matched pair) for like 450?? the only thing, is they don't have interchangeable caps (fixed Cards) and they are phantom powered...

-Jim

There has been MUCH debate in the past (not on this post) about if the Crown mics are based on the CM700's design or the CM300's. If my memory is correct it seems to me they sounded closer to the CM300's but with a slight emphisis on the highs. And they also do not have interchangable capsules as stated. The Crown mics however are very small and compact (low profile). I would imagine if they did sound just like the CM700's many more folks would be running them out in the field! I see them on Ebay all the time and they are very affordable!!

One idea may be to find an audio shop that rents out equipment and see if you can give them a test drive!!

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline jhirte

• Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 05:31:07 PM »

-Jim

There has been MUCH debate in the past (not on this post) about if the Crown mics are based on the CM700's design or the CM300's. If my memory is correct it seems to me they sounded closer to the CM300's but with a slight emphisis on the highs. And they also do not have interchangable capsules as stated. The Crown mics however are very small and compact (low profile). I would imagine if they did sound just like the CM700's many more folks would be running them out in the field! I see them on Ebay all the time and they are very affordable!!

One idea may be to find an audio shop that rents out equipment and see if you can give them a test drive!!

LoS

yeah, this might be a Q for Doug, mebby he knows offhand?? And ya, you'd think you'd see em in the field more, but then again, how often do you see people running Naks nowadays ? Seems like everyone runs the more popular mics (akg, neumann, schoeps, etc..)
I think it was BH Photovideo that had the pair for 439?
-Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com