Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix Recordings  (Read 1782 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Matrix Recordings
« on: October 03, 2004, 02:42:53 AM »
I saw a question on here about setting up for a 3-mic blend, and this got me to thinking...

I've seen a few shows floating around that were 4-mic mixes, put together with what I can only assume is an el-cheapo, Radio Shack-looking 4-channel mixer (Realistic something or other, I think). 

The question is, noise/quality issues aside, can one use something like this for matrix recordings?  i.e. run the soundboard into channel 1/2, and a set of mics (through a battery box/preamp) to channels 3/4?

Or are these things generally a "mic-level input only" thing...

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: Matrix Recordings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 03:39:39 AM »
I really love the UA-5 for matrices, you can run mics + rca.  My first ua-5 was a wmod, sounded so good, I wish I still had it. Now I run a digimod Ua-5, and I must say I have been impressed.  It made me realize that the Oade mods aren't changing the sound of the ua-5, but they are improving the sound of the ua-5.  anyways I used to use a samson mixpad 4.  a lot more options, cheaper, and I thought sounded above average for the price range.  However no a>d like the ua-5.  If you wanna go real cheap look at some of the mixers @ musicians friend, they have some 4-8 track ones for cheap. you get what you pay for thought.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

hexyjones

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 07:41:46 AM »
The noise floor on those Radio Shack mixers is very high...not really the kind of equipment you want in your signal path...find something else.

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 10:59:18 AM »
The noise floor on those Radio Shack mixers is very high...not really the kind of equipment you want in your signal path...find something else.

Somehow, I expected that much.  :-) 

I don't plan on doing this kind of thing just yet.  Someday, maybe..

Offline yourpaljay

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 10:35:30 AM »
I think the only thing that all of these options is missing is digital delay. Because the sound from the SBD feed reaches the tape before the sound from the PA hits the mics and then hits the tape. The number I heard was 1 millisecond for every foot from the stage that your mics are. So, with a UA-5, Mixpad, or even the Radio Shack thing - which I've used to do a SBD+AUD mix and got boomy, echo-y results for the reason above - you can make the mix. However, I would be wary to call it a true Matrix without the delay. Check out what Umphrey's McGee runs at every show to learn more :) But anyway, just my thoughts...

Thanks,
Jay

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.276 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com