Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sensitivity?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline bluebellmorning

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sensitivity?
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:39:44 AM »
Hi,

I'm buying these mics and wondering if I should choose high sensitivity or low sensitivity? What's the difference?

Thanks.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
ummm...one is more sensitive than the other  :P

Your first question should probably go to the people selling the mics.  Sensitivity has to do with how much electrical output the mics will generate.  You can't really go too far in answering the question unless you know what you might do with the mics.  Hi sensitivity means more output - can be useful if you're trying to record thru line-in but can overload some preamps if you're not.  Can also be good for quiet situations where you want to minimise electrical gain (use 'less' preamp).

loud or quiet recording environment?
using a preamp? - which one, what's it's max input level
which recording device?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline bluebellmorning

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 01:45:57 PM »
Sorry - it will be loud bands into this battery pack, into the line-in of a minidisc recorder. I hope thats useful.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »
if you were to be recording gunshots or rocket launches, youd probably want low sensitivity due to the fact that the dB levels will be extremely high.  it wont pick up as much of the sound at lower dB, but wont be easy to overload.
But for music, you may want that detail, so the low sensitivity would be my choice.  using very sensitive mics for the types of examples above would be a bad idea since they can easily overload. 
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com