Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Self-contained stealth set-up  (Read 7035 times)

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
Self-contained stealth set-up
« on: November 16, 2004, 05:34:53 PM »
Is this possible or been done before?  By self-contained I mean no wires extending out of a collar or hat.  I was thinking about a zippered pouch inside a hat.  One of issues I see with this is that, since I run a MD for stealthing (First show this weekend!!), the occasional sound of the deck spinning the platter might be loud enough to be picked up.  Another problem is changing disks.  I'd rather not run compressed but then I have to change disks every 74 minutes.  Also, would coiling the mic and battery box cables cause a hum due the fields generated?  Any thoughts?

Todd

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Self-contained stealth set-up
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 05:49:25 PM »
Stealthing with mic cables running from hat to pocket really isn't that big of a deal.  Honest.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 05:55:53 PM »
I've seen otter box rigs made so that you could just point it at the sound source, but that is more for sit-down shows, as opposed to a wearable rig.

I'd think that you'd be more likely to get busted, or have problems with everything in a hat.
At least around here some venues ask you to take them off during the pat down.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

urobouros

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:18:49 PM »
Stealthing with mic cables running from hat to pocket really isn't that big of a deal.  Honest.

True, but I shave my head sometimes and was hoping to get around running cables down a bare neck yet still get the hat mount advantage.  We'll see how this weekend works. 

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:21:49 PM »
I'm not sure what the infatuation is with having the smallest stealth rig ever.  Try to go for quality and not quantity (or lack of).

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:22:22 PM »

True, but I shave my head sometimes and was hoping to get around running cables down a bare neck yet still get the hat mount advantage.  We'll see how this weekend works. 

it's almost winter time, wear a hoodie

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:27:18 PM »

Yeah, me, too - I shave my head (well, no longer with a razor, just elec clippers without the guard) every week.  I find a simple hat, like a Kangol, plus some kind of jacket / shirt with a collar (I usually wear a black fleece) works well.  In the dark, not many people are going to notice the cables running out the back.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 09:18:51 PM »

Yeah, me, too - I shave my head (well, no longer with a razor, just elec clippers without the guard) every week.  I find a simple hat, like a Kangol, plus some kind of jacket / shirt with a collar (I usually wear a black fleece) works well.  In the dark, not many people are going to notice the cables running out the back.

You mentioned the Kangol-style hats...is there any reason to go with something like that over your regular baseball style hat? I clip my omni mics to the side of my hat above my ears, and when I had cards I ran the cables alongside the gutter of the sweatband with the two mics peeking out the front, about 3" apart. I've seen that other people usually set the mics inside the hat, toward the top of the head...is this easier to do or something with the Kangol-style hats or are there better mounting options with those? I'm just curious, as I know that the guy who has done some of my favorite recordings by a band wears one of those...didn't know if it was some sort of trade secret...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:08:19 AM »
you can't clip schoeps onto a baseball hat...well you could, but you'd look weird.  with the kangol hat you can put the mic caps in the hat and secure them with elastic.

and yeah, if you're running the little tiny stealth mics, why not just wear a baseball hat backwards, it'll cover the wires running down your neck.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

silverbullet

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:44:15 AM »
I'd hide the mics under the collar before having "everything" in a hat. You can hide the wire down you back and place you md in your pocket and have a second shirt over your first to hide everything.

one of my outfits  ;)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:47:17 AM »
with the kangol hat you can put the mic caps in the hat and secure them with elastic.

I secure my mics in elastic in a baseball cap. Works much better than the kangol and you blend in with the crowd much better.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 07:58:12 AM »
I just clip them to my stocking cap.  No one says a damn word.  The only time anyone knows is if I am looking at the njb3.  Even then, on quick glance, people usually think thats a cell phone.

I used to rubber band my sony mic to this buckle on my jacket taht was on my shoulder- it was obvious, but no one ever noticed it.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 08:24:26 AM »
with the kangol hat you can put the mic caps in the hat and secure them with elastic.

I secure my mics in elastic in a baseball cap. Works much better than the kangol and you blend in with the crowd much better.

my head is too big or my hat is too small cuz thats not even an option for me with the micros, however, the micros are a bit longer than schoeps.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 08:35:33 AM »
my head is too big or my hat is too small cuz thats not even an option for me with the micros, however, the micros are a bit longer than schoeps.

True, with longer mics, you might not be able to use the trucker cap - especially if you wanted to run ortf or xy. I wear my cap as loose as I can and the elastic is sewn into the top of the cap so the weight of the caps are suspended above my head.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 08:47:02 AM »
nice.

yeah, i wear a trucker hat or a baseball style hat everywhere, except for in the winter when i'm wearing a stocking hat.  i've been trying to find something that matches my style and will hold the mics, but so far no luck.  i'm thinking i'm just gonna suck it up and go with the kangol eventho i'll prolly look like an idiot.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com