Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-cmc-4 or SP-cmc-2 vs modded DIY pannies which do you like better and why  (Read 2901 times)

Offline itsmyforte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
i'm REALLY leaning towards the 4's since they seem to be the most widely talked about 853's.  cost isn't an issue, but is the extra $50 in price worth $50 in sound?  i am currently making some DIY mics with panny w61 caps/w linkwitz mod.  i got about 15 caps so i can practice. ;D  if nothing else it will be a learning curve if they turn out to sound like crap.  anyway i came to the conclusion that the modded pannies were basically HEB CSB's, is that a correct assumption?  i will be running these(whichever ones i get) into a battery box then into my D7 or Gmini 120.  one more question, i was going to run my batt box at 18V(maybe 15V) i have been infomed that the SP caps will handle it. 

oh, and WTF does ortf mean?

J

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
i came to the conclusion that the modded pannies were basically HEB CSB's, is that a correct assumption?

Nope.  The Core-Sound HEBs are based on the DPA 406x mics, not the Panasonic capsules.  (And if someone corrects me and says the DPA 406x series are based on the Panasonic caps, I'll fork over (tbd) something of value.

ORTF is a near-coincident mic placement configuration for use with cardioid mics.  Check out DPA Mic University's Stereo Techniques page.  Alternatively, scan or search the Archival Info forum for threads with links to information on commonly used mic configurations.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star

J

What the fuck does wtf mean?  ;)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie

J

What the fuck does wtf mean?  ;)

nice!    +T

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
I'll talk as if I truly understand...The Linkwitz mod changes the internal FET configuration to source-follower mode, enhancing linearity and max SPL of the capsule.

Translated: if you play around with the wiring, the capsule sounds better and doesn't overload as easily. 

The cost: your time, probably a couple of capsule casualties as your learn, and the sensitivity (output level) is lowered, which could be a good thing if your preamp is easily overloaded (Sony DAT pres)

To the best of my knowledge, this is what a standard CSB is (not low cost, not HEB) - Linkwitz mod'd WM60 (maybe a 61)

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm#Mic - scroll down to 'microphone'

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
One thing, would you think a 25 watt iron is too hot for this? 

should be fine - just don't hang out there for too long and don't start your project with only 2 capsules!  Here's one technique that's well documented.  It addresses the difficulty of soldering on to the aluminum case by cutting it away.  He also casts it in expoxy afterwards, which would have to be good for gettin' your cables yanked.

http://www.airraidsirens.com/posts/wm61a.html

btw, everything I've learned about battery boxes and modding capsules is from this yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/micbuilders

There are some brilliant dudes over there - they make my head spin when they start getting into some of the electronics but they're always willing to dumb it down.
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com