Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: windscreens  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Geoff16Fryer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
windscreens
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
This might be really stupid but i have no idea. i just got my SP-c4s and ive herd the windscreens that they come with are junk so i went out to a local music store and bought a pair of what seams like good ones there thinker and seam better. my question is that the new windscreens are to big for the c4s can i use the old windscreen inside the new one or will that be to much?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: windscreens
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »
record your stereo, and see if you can hear a difference. if not, then go for it, cant have too much.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:25:06 PM »
Sounds like it would be sort of hard to stuff the old screens in the new ones and then insert the mics properly.  If it was me I would return the new ones and then look for a pair that better fits your mics.  The other way just seems like a kludge.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:37:27 AM »
The ones that come w/ the c4's are fine indoor but ya might want to make some dead rat skins for outdoor use like these.
Peace

http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 02:14:26 AM »
maybe a dumb question here, but what makes a good windscreen? and how do you know what size to get for various purposes, such as outdoor small venue vs. outdoor large venue?
SP-CMC2 --> SP-SPSB1 --> JB3

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 07:40:22 AM »
The ones that come w/ the c4's are fine indoor but ya might want to make some dead rat skins for outdoor use like these.
Peace

No offense - but I'd wish people would take pictures in front of a bare wall - I cant tell anything from that pic...the background is too busy...I know more about your apartment than your mics...(sorry to pick on you - it happens a lot)

...more coffee... :)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »
Peace

No offense - but I'd wish people would take pictures in front of a bare wall - I cant tell anything from that pic...the background is too busy...I know more about your apartment than your mics...(sorry to pick on you - it happens a lot)

...more coffee... :)

agreed, fov is too large.  a close up of the rats, against the jdisk, and in your hand, would give the n00b a better idea of what you're indicating.  my .02
we all live downstream.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »

I like the green tape on the legs - does it help to keep people from tripping over them at all??? 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

Sorry about the pic but I could not find any close ups of the dead rat skins. I figured you could look up dead rat skins if interested in info.

The day glow legs is paint I bought from Michaels which I used primer first. I could not find tape so I painted the day glow on but now I know ya find it Markertek. I think they help because even the drunk can spot them out of the corner of their eyes and does not seem to trip on my stand as often.
Hey Twatts I noticed you use TL's which I plan on buyin' a matched pair soon. Any how do they come w/ windscreens or do I need to buy them? And if so what do  you use?
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »
well i hope this isn't as dumb as it sounds in my head... but these covers don't affect the pick up at all? and if you don't have one handy, could you just use, say an old sock, if it was secured so it wouldn't move?
SP-CMC2 --> SP-SPSB1 --> JB3

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:20:15 PM »
Best way to know this is find the vendor pages and read the descriptions... or look at their pictures.
I was countin' on Tl's not comin' w/ windscreens because the disrciption at cascade says flight case and shock mounts but they don't show either one of these in the pic's. I was pretty much asking where to buy some wind screens after I buy my new TL's bein' twatts has a pair and probally had to do the same thing.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 12:59:13 AM »
for what its worth, back in the day when I was running superlux mics, if i taped outside, i'd run the superlux screens inside of some sm57 screens.  Used them at bonnaroo 04 and you can't hear any wind noise whatsoever.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 01:58:16 AM »
While I have to say a+ for creativity I think I would be caught dead before putting socks on my mics.

It would make an amusing pic for the gallery though.

Stay Kind,
Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »
Best way to know this is find the vendor pages and read the descriptions... or look at their pictures.
I was countin' on Tl's not comin' w/ windscreens because the disrciption at cascade says flight case and shock mounts but they don't show either one of these in the pic's. I was pretty much asking where to buy some wind screens after I buy my new TL's bein' twatts has a pair and probally had to do the same thing.
Peace

how mine came.
we all live downstream.

Offline Brian

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
sorry mike, but

from my experience.....the rats cut off SERIOUS amounts of high end.  the one time i used them i had a steep rolloff at 10kHz.

maybe the ones i borrowed were too "wooly" ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com