Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux SMK-H8K Matched Stereo Pair  (Read 2602 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Superlux SMK-H8K Matched Stereo Pair
« on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:25 AM »
Has anyone used these mic's........the price is $144 for a pair with accessories.  This seems to good to be true....and you usually know how that goes.

Thanks
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
Re: Superlux SMK-H8K Matched Stereo Pair
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:10:38 AM »
Has anyone used these mic's........the price is $144 for a pair with accessories.  This seems to good to be true....and you usually know how that goes.

Thanks

I have them and love 'em!  If you check on eBay you can get them for about $125 including shipping from AAAudio who is a GREAT seller that several people here will vouch for.  Here are some recordings I've done with them recently.  Note that it's nearly impossible to find the Omni and Hyper caps seperately (though AAAudio does sell them for more than the whole kit itself) so if you are interested in them you might want to buy the set that comes with all 3 caps from the start.

Just mics > phantom power > CJB3 analog
http://www.archive.org/details/skellogg2006-04-20.SMK-H8K

New setup with AD-20 A/D added
http://www.archive.org/details/guster2006-08-17
http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2006-09-21.smk-h8k

Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:14:02 AM »
Thanks for the info....I'm not concerned about the multiset....I'm looking at an AT822, and thinking these mic have got to be much better than an AT822.

I just get nervous about something being priced so low.....
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »
I also bought a pair from AAAudio for $125.  Paid by PayPal and they threw in a couple of Shure 58 knockoffs too.  I use the SMK-H8K mics as a reference when I'm playing around with home-built mics. I make two recordings, one with the SMK-H8K mics and the other with my own home-built mics. I usually like the recordings from my own mics better, but they are more sensitive to wind noise, so I rarely run my own outdoors, at least not with the current design.

Whatever the case, the SMK-H8K recordings are always good as long as I set them up at the sweet spot.  And they look legitimate too. That helps when you're recording an artist for the first time, especially when the alternative is SparkE! fishingpole mics:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=60802.75

In my opinion, the SMK-H8K is worthy of a spot in your recording arsenal, ESPECIALLY for the price.  It's truly a great value.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:43:47 PM »
especially when the alternative is SparkE! fishingpole mics

Your modesty underestimates the geek engineering cred.
There's substance there that's more than just a pretty face.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com