Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just bought an HD-DVD player  (Read 5954 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Just bought an HD-DVD player
« on: June 03, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
Picked up a Toshiba HD-D2 from Costco today since Toshiba is running their $100 off promo.  Only cost me $250.  Stopped by Best Buy and picked up a few movies, too. 

This thing looks AWESOME.  I'm highly impressed with the picture it puts out.  Watching Serenity right now, Batman Begins is on the schedule for tonight.  I may have to throw in a standard DVD too to see how well it upscales.

But for anyone on the fence about getting one of these, do it. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Just bought an HD-DVD player
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »
I got my hdd player that plugs into my 360 elite.  I've only watched a couple of movies on it, but they were fantastic.  The sound is phenomenal too.

I'm worried about hdd though, I thought it'd be the clear winner, but now blockbuster is only carrying BD, so who knows.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »
is this promo still going on..?

i would like to swing by costco this week to 
_____

edit to add:

the costco website has these for $430  :'(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:22:36 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
I got my hdd player that plugs into my 360 elite.  I've only watched a couple of movies on it, but they were fantastic.  The sound is phenomenal too.

I'm worried about hdd though, I thought it'd be the clear winner, but now blockbuster is only carrying BD, so who knows.

They're not *only* carrying BluRay, but they did expand BluRay to more stores.  HD-DVD is still available online and at the original 250 stores that had HD.

is this promo still going on..?

i would like to swing by costco this week to 
_____

edit to add:

the costco website has these for $430  :'(

You may want to check the store - Toshiba just announced that $299 is now the current MSRP. 

Edit - the website has the A20 model, which is basically the same as the HD-A2/HD-D2 but does 1080p output.  If you don't have a 1080p TV, the HD-A2/D2 model is the one to get, as it'll only be $299 now.  The HD-D2 is just an A2 rebranded for Costco.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:12:27 PM by John Kelly »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
FYI

Effective July 1st the pricing levels available during the May and June promotions will become standard MSRPs, making the HD-A2 available for an every day price of $299.99 and the HD-A20 for $399.99. The top of the line HD-XA2 continues at $799.99 (MSRP).

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
i have a 1080p set.

which model do i want..?

many thanks.
-macdaddy ++

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »
Either the HD-A20 or the HD-XA2.  The A20 is the cheaper of the two, but I'm not exactly sure of the differences.  AVSForum is a great place to find out tho, http://www.avsforum.com/

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »

They're not *only* carrying BluRay, but they did expand BluRay to more stores.  HD-DVD is still available online and at the original 250 stores that had HD.

good to know, I wonder if the one down the street from me has them or not?  I haven't been in a blockbuster in about 5 years so it doesn't really matter to me anyway.  I rent from the internet.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
HD movies via HD-DVD and bluray are the bomb..I have the 360 HD-DVD add on that got a lot better with the HDMI capabilities out of the 360 Elite and I have a ps3 for bluray...picture quality is the same now on each now that bluray is using better encoding. I love the uncompressed PCM sound tracks on bluray running at 4-6Mbps over the 1.5Mbps DD+ and lossless DTS.

Lots of good movies starting to hit...Pirates of the Carribean 1 and 2 on bluray have the best PQ I have seen yet on either format.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
is bluray as good at upsampling regular dvd'd as the toshiba hd-dvd unit..? i am thinking i will pull the trigger on the ps3 now that it dropped a bill in price...
-macdaddy ++

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
is bluray as good at upsampling regular dvd'd as the toshiba hd-dvd unit..? i am thinking i will pull the trigger on the ps3 now that it dropped a bill in price...

The PS3 is a good upscaling player, the other BluRay players are all different, so you'd have to pick a particular model to find out how it upscales.  And if you want that "cheaper" PS3, better get it quick.  They only dropped the price while the stock remains - then they're only going to sell the $599 80 gig model (which is cheaper to make, so they rip you off even more!).

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

The PS3 is a good upscaling player, the other BluRay players are all different, so you'd have to pick a particular model to find out how it upscales.  And if you want that "cheaper" PS3, better get it quick.  They only dropped the price while the stock remains - then they're only going to sell the $599 80 gig model (which is cheaper to make, so they rip you off even more!).

well thank you for that info...

went to costco - sold out. went to fry's - they had the unit with the bluetooth remote bundled for $499. got it, and that ninja game :D

gonna try and find apocalypto blueray this afternoon...

-macdaddy ++

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »
They only dropped the price while the stock remains - then they're only going to sell the $599 80 gig model (which is cheaper to make, so they rip you off even more!).

Yes, this way they only lose $100 vs several hundred dollars everytime they sell a system.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com