Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni's and taping location in the venue  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Omni's and taping location in the venue
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
I have some 007 taping to do this summer that is general admission.  It'll be outdoors, no roof, general admission, using omni mics.

Do people find it better to stack tape or go FOB, center?  Nothing I tape will likely be a stereo mix from the house.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Omni's and taping location in the venue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
if it really will only mono than i would just hug a stack. Though, when i tape i can never tell so i almost always go up front and in the center

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
Tough call..omnis pick up alot more low-end (mud) so.. I dunno..

I've used my omnis only a few times (I prefer cards)..it seems as when you are in the optimum location with a good mix, omnis are the preferred capsule..but when you're in less a less than ideal location/conditions..they arent. I think if I could choose my spot, i would go FOS, at least if youre gonna get a heavy bottom end, being that close to a stack, the proximity to the source would at least drown out most of the crowd chatter (which youll probably pick up alot of the farther back into the venue you go).
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
Sweet spot, FOB.  You can always take out the low-end in post.  I find that when stack taping, I get pretty unbalanced recordings and the imaging (even on a mono recording) is all screwed up.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
Sweet spot, FOB.  You can always take out the low-end in post.  I find that when stack taping, I get pretty unbalanced recordings and the imaging (even on a mono recording) is all screwed up.
I agree, get centered where it sounds great and hope for not too much chatter.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:22 AM »
I agree, get centered where it sounds great and hope for not too much chatter.

ditto

FOB sweetspot - and even further forward at some venues
cards  will rule about 20 feet from stage center
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Belexes

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
So it appears FOB as long as you are not a mile from the stage and if that were the case, stack record.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »
So it appears FOB as long as you are not a mile from the stage and if that were the case, stack record.

If you were a mile from the stage, there is not a whole hell of a lot that you could do with the vast majority of stealth omnis to make it a good recording.  Even if I were a mile from the stage, I would still try to be as centered as possible.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Belexes

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
Cards are better from a distance, but every time I bring them a huge windstorm flares up.  :(

adrianf74

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
Very valid... Not to mention the risk of brickwalling/overloading as well.

adrianf74

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
Cards are better from a distance, but every time I bring them a huge windstorm flares up.  :(
Very true - if I'd had cards, I wouldn't have used them this past weekend at a local Amphitheatre because of the winds/torrential downpout we got in Toronto.  I went with my omnis and did pretty decently.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com