Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: plug-in powered mics?  (Read 5809 times)

Offline bhakti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
plug-in powered mics?
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »
hey guys

this is my first post. after being an avid reader for months now, i decided to sign up.

anyways, 99% of the time, I manage to get a feed off the sounddesk at gigs here in South Africa and have recorded tons of great shows. i run a Sony MZ-R900 MD and run it analog out to a M-Audio FireWire 410 soundcard and have always been happy with the board recordings I've got over the last few years. just in case I couldn't get a SBD recording, I bought a plug-in powered mic [a Sony ECM-C10  - a Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone] and am quite happy with it. I will be recording an Indian Classical show this weekend with it and just wanted to know if its a good choice in terms of plugin & play mics. I know it may be blasphemy here, but I seem to get enough feeds off the desk to not warrant a batt box and a full on condensor mics. For more info on it check out:

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/334836-REG/Sony_ECMC10_ECM_C10_Omnidirectional_Lavalier_Microphone.html

I'd like to know how good plug-in mics can get as that's all I can really afford and am that interested in getting.

thanks guys. perhaps you'll all convince me to get a mic-pre and decent mic, but let me know what you think of this little bad-boy anyway for a casual audience taper.

take it easy. nice to be onboard here.

Bhakti

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: plug-in powered mics?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
I am not a fan of that Sony mic, BUT there are very good "plug-in-power" microphones on the market.

HLSC-2 Sennheiser MKE40   (www.microphonemadness.com)
MKE2 (microphonemadness.com)
Audio Technica U853 (www.soundprofessionals.com)
Core-Sound low cost binuarls and stealth cards (www.core-sound.com)
Church Audio Cards and Omni's (http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO)

I think the mic madness mics sound the best, audio technica has the most options, core-sound are average and Church Audio is the best value.....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »
I use both the MM-HLSC-1 and the SP-CMC-4U with my MZ-RH1.  The SP mics seem to be a bit "warmer" in that they have a complimentary low end while the MM mics seem a bit drier.  They both give good results.  Both have plenty of bass and "hear" well through their entire range.  If the hall has highly reflective surfaces I would feel safer with the SP mics.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?  And, will you torrent the recording?  I like Indian classical music.   ;o)

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:16:47 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I don't have any experience with that Sony omni mic myself.  I've been using AT943 cardioids (aka SP-CMC-8) for several years with a Sharp IM80-MD recorder, usually with pretty listenable results.  I would still recommend at least an inexpensive 9V battery box if you're going to be recording anything really loud. 

Here's an mp3 of the Alternate Routes downstairs at the Knitting Factory NYC a couple of years ago, recorded with the AT943s straight into the Sharp recorder and transferred via an M-Audio Revolution sound card:

http://keithfromny.org/downloads/ar2005-08-25_07.mp3

And to give you an idea, here are the same mics with a better preamp/ADC (Core MIC2496 @24/44.1 > M-Audio Microtrack).  This is Kim Taylor at the Living Room in NYC with a guitarist and drummer this past June:

http://keithfromny.org/downloads/kt2007-06-28_01.mp3

If you haven't got $250 to spend on mics, Church's cardioids will probably give you the best-sounding bang for the buck.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 02:52:02 AM »
thanks for the posts guys. much appreciated.

don't know any of these mics you guys mentioned. MM-HLSC-1, SP-CMC-4U, SP-CMC-8, AT943 cardioids, etc. Please could you guys let me know more about them. Are there all plug-in power mics?

And thanks for the sample kbergend. Definitely way less hiss and more definition on the second rig. How big is your preamp there and how much does it go for? I'm way more keen on less cables and gear and something relatively good [obviously not going to get the best sound gear around I know] but something good. Really like the sound on the 2nd sample though.

boojum, I'll let you know how the recording comes out. I can't torrent due to a 1GB a month cap, but can always post it.

thanks again guys. any help is very appreciated. nice of you to put everything down too Fred. will look into those.

i look forward to hearing more from anyone.

bhakti

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:06 AM »
don't know any of these mics you guys mentioned. MM-HLSC-1, SP-CMC-4U, SP-CMC-8, AT943 cardioids, etc. Please could you guys let me know more about them. Are there all plug-in power mics?

yes, these are all PIP microphones!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »
For having experiences (pretty decent and really bad) with Sony mics, believe me this is just like day and night when you upgrade to AT or MM mics....You won't regret getting rid of that s*** after choosing one of these mics.
Good luck ;)

Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:13:47 AM »
are you talking about plug-in-powered mics > mic-in or plug-in-powered mics > line-in?  ???

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:22:38 PM »
And thanks for the sample kbergend. Definitely way less hiss and more definition on the second rig. How big is your preamp there and how much does it go for? I'm way more keen on less cables and gear and something relatively good [obviously not going to get the best sound gear around I know] but something good. Really like the sound on the 2nd sample though.
That sample was really just for you to hear what those mics can do with a better rig. The Core MIC2496 preamp/ADC is $550 USD new (its primary virtue is its relatively compact size) and you can't run it into an MD recorder because it outputs a 24-bit digital signal.  You would also have to get yourself a digital recorder like an M-Audio Microtrack or JB3.  If you want to stick with your MD recorder, probably your best bet is an analog preamp running line-in, which would also supply higher voltage to the PIP mics than your recorder.  They're generally very small (about the size of a cigarette pack) and there aren't many wires involved!  Chris Church offers a few options which you can check out at http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO , and he also makes very nice sounding mics.

The AT and Sennheiser mics can be found at www.soundprofessionals.com and www.microphonemadness.com .
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 05:06:03 PM »
thanks again guys. so i checked out the Church Audio ones coz I've read so much about them, especially with regards to value for money and it looks like [from his site] that the best one is the STC-11 cardiod PIP mic.

Anyone have experience with it? He claims its the best of his and a great one for live audience recordings in particular.

What are MM mics?

I plan to run it mic in into my mini-disc unless I can get a pre-amp for a good price and you guys reckon it is the way to go, then of course I'll run line-in. I see he sells pre-amp's as well. Any cool combinations anyone tried or knows of? And is there a world of difference with a pre-amp for these PIP mics?

I think I have a better idea of whats going on already. Look forward to more suggestions. Getting closer! Thanks guys

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 04:35:26 AM »
thanks again guys... i've looked into some mics and will try and get something soonish... in the meantime i recorded the indian classical show with my Sony ECM-C10 i mentioned if anyone wants to hear a sample just because they can... not sure where I can upload a small sample though? any suggestions?

thanks again

bhakti

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 01:47:25 PM »
consider using MM or SP on mic-in of MD recorders at extremely high soundpressure levels will definitely result in distorted recordings(overloaded internal preamp). it´s ok for small clubs soundpressure levels and moderately loud shows.
these mics are high sensitive compared to the ecm-719 or other sony mics which are custom-built for MD-recorder´s mic-in .

use a battery box + line-in instead of mic-in for loud shows with these mics.
;)

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:39:58 AM »
Another choice not (usually) requiring external powering for extreme loudness venues and using plug-in-powered' MIC input (from most) MD decks is Sonic Studios DSM-6S/EL model stereo-surround mic.

Mic models chart www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm#chart
Mic powering discussion: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm
Recordings www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
thanks again guys. i was interested in buying Church Audio mics because of value for money, but was accused by the maker of these microphones of coming from a country full of fraud [would love to know where he gets that from] and was later insulted by him that my surname was rude where he comes from. I'm not sure if Canada has a very different out look on dairy products, but judging by his "fraud" statement, he's full of very interesting facts. i heard he was difficult via email, but anyway, am glad now I'm not supporting his products, regardless how good or not they are...

anyways, just wanted to let you/other potential buyers know who you're dealing with... i don't want to cause a fight, just wanted to let you know what happened to me...

i appreciate all your help for looking into a nice set of mini-mics and will let you all know what I get... thanks again guys... such a bunch of helpful and knowledgable folk up here at taperssection
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 09:42:59 AM by bhakti »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com