Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EQ While Listening  (Read 10787 times)

Offline strangerinusall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: EQ While Listening
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »

Back on topic- can anyone tell me if Izotope OZONE 7  is worth the $249 specifically for doing post processing? (or point me to a different Izotope product). I won't be doing any studio work with it.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone.html
I am using IzotopeĀ“s latest Ozone and RX (advanced editions) which are excellent tools. Worth the money.

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
If your Audacity isn't working in real time with standard plugins, you may need to update your Audacity?  Real time analysis of plugins work fine now w/ latest version. 
And I agree that the TDR Plugins are powerful and really well designed.  All of them. 
I've also used Izotope RX with Audacity and that works in real time as well. 
Good luck.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
If your Audacity isn't working in real time with standard plugins, you may need to update your Audacity?  Real time analysis of plugins work fine now w/ latest version. 
And I agree that the TDR Plugins are powerful and really well designed.  All of them. 
Good luck.
Thanks for this, I believe I am behind a bit on my versions.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
Good luck.

Get 2.1.0 if you want speed adjustment percentage to use all available significant digits.  Newer versions truncate your input.  I don't know the team's motivation to break something that works, but there you have it.

2.1.0  :coolguy:

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Good luck.
Get 2.1.0 if you want speed adjustment percentage to use all available significant digits.  Newer versions truncate your input.  I don't know the team's motivation to break something that works, but there you have it.
2.1.0  :coolguy:
Interesting. I am on 2.1.2. You think I should go backward to 2.1.0?
Thanks for this info cap'n!
music IS love

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
Thanks cap'n!
 I was wondering why i wasn't getting the precision i thought i used to get on speed adjustments. Hopefully they fix that in the next version.

Online lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
I can't imagine trying to work with EQ without having immediate feedback combined with fine granular control.
Exactly this question came in my mind when I read the topic title. How anybody could EQ without listening it? :D
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
I can't imagine trying to work with EQ without having immediate feedback combined with fine granular control.
Exactly this question came in my mind when I read the topic title. How anybody could EQ without listening it? :D
Well, you do get to listen after you've applied EQ. Then you can undo it if needed. What you don't get (at least with my version-2.1.2, and no 3rd party plugins) is the ability to move the sliders and listen in "real-time". From my earlier post, this is what I've been doing:
I've taken to loading the raw file in foobar2000 and doing EQ's while listening live then just imitating the same curves on the Audacity file.
If you don't take any further action, you can always just "undo equalization" go back to the raw file and equalize again using different settings.
Thankfully, many of the sets/shows I've been processing do not need EQ'ing.
I am giving serious consideration to purchasing Izotope Ozone after this thread!
music IS love

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
Good luck.

I'm using 2.1.2 and don't see how the real time standard plugin works?  I just want to make some EQ adjustments--hopefully cleaner sounding.  Looking at Reaper I'm lost.  I don't know what to do with TDR.  I'm on a Mac as a reminder. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

smokenburn

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »
I find it kind of odd that people here spend lots of money on gear and recording shows but won't pay for a proper audio editor.

+1

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=179250.0
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:28:16 PM by smokenburn »

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Good luck.

I'm using 2.1.2 and don't see how the real time standard plugin works?  I just want to make some EQ adjustments--hopefully cleaner sounding.  Looking at Reaper I'm lost.  I don't know what to do with TDR.  I'm on a Mac as a reminder.

I am on a mac too.  You need to download the plugin, add it into the VST add-ins folder on your machine, and then on main Audacity menu go to Effect > Manage and "enable" the new plugin you just added to the appropriate folder on you mac.  You may want to read some of the Audacity instructions on adding new plugins for more detailed info, but it's pretty straightforward.  From there, you simply choose Effect > TDR Nova or whatever plug-in you want to use for EQ and make sure the "enable" checkbox is checked at the bottom of the window which contains the plug-in. 

Audacity works great for simple tasks like tracking/mixing/editing.  I've played around with Reaper and some of the others and I'm sure they're great but I've gotten used to Audacity.  It's simple and straightforward.  The critical components for mastering/editing are the plugins you're using (like Izotope or TDR).  They all work well within Audacity.  I'd question whether the "front-end" matters in any audible way (i.e. use an Izotope or any other plug-in via Audacity vs. on Reaper to do the same task).  Sure if you're mixing 24 tracks I doubt you would want to use Audacity...

Use whatever you're comfortable with.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
Huge thank you, chk--whoever you are! 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com