Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording tonight w/ r-09 internal mics need help  (Read 5350 times)

Offline vegaspunx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
recording tonight w/ r-09 internal mics need help
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »
i'm leaving in about a hour to record some metal/punk bands tonight i don't have any stelth type mics so i will be using r-09 internal mics this is the first time i'm using this recorder what setting would be best i'm sure it will be a very loud show please help if anyone can

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: recording tonight w/ r-09 internal mics need help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »
i'm leaving in about a hour to record some metal/punk bands tonight i don't have any stelth type mics so i will be using r-09 internal mics this is the first time i'm using this recorder what setting would be best i'm sure it will be a very loud show please help if anyone can

No  big deal.

Mic Gain: Low
AGC: Off
Low Cut: Off
Mic Type:Stereo ( this is for external mics, actually, but use it anyway)

Try to keep your R-09 the higher you can. ;D
Record with the 24 bit feature (peaking at -12db to -6db and amplify later on post).
Hope that helps  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

No  big deal.

Record with the 24 bit feature (peaking at -12db to -6db and amplify later on post).
Hope that helps  ;)

thats the kinda info i was looking for thanks that helps alot.  so the imput level should start at around 20? i just read so old posts and thats what was recommended ok the band i want to tape is the misfits so i get the levels during the intro will the imput levels change later or should i be set i want leave it alone because this venue if very strict about taping
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:25:57 PM by vegaspunx »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

No  big deal.

Hope that helps  ;)

thats the kinda info i was looking for thanks that helps alot.  so the imput level should start at around 20? i just read so old posts and thats what was recommended ok the band i want to tape is the misfits so i get the levels during the intro will the imput levels change later or should i be set i want leave it alone because this venue if very strict about taping

No problem, you're welcome.
You're right. Set your levels during intro so they peak around -12db* or so.
I think by input levels you mean the overall volume coming from PA/stage, right? Well, it`s impossble to predict what the sound man is going to do. Usually they tweak the sound a little bit during the first 3 songs(tone, EQ and/or gain).
I understand the taping restriction ( trust me on this). But the best bet for you is to check your levels during the first couple songs, see if they are OK and enjoy your show. With 24 bit recording, you can a somehow low volume recording and add gain later.
Take care and happy recording  ;D

* By this I mean -12db on your Right/Left leds, so to speak, not the 0 to 30 gain indication that only appears on your screen when you press the Rec Level buttoms.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:44:41 PM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Good luck with it. Even though I rarely use them, I got a couple of decent pulls with the internal mics in a pinch (basically my Church Audio mics hadn't arrived yet and I wanted to record). When you can, get some Church Audio mics. They're great for a variety of applications. I've used them open mostly and they're great for the price. MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
thanks alot one more question plug in power should be off right?

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »
thanks alot one more question plug in power should be off right?
AFAIK, it doesn't matter since there's nothing to provide power to. But just to be safe and possibly avoid draining your batteries much faster, turn it off.
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
Raising levels in post processing seems to be a mystery to me.  I have Audacity on the PC, please explain what I have to do. Or reply with a link if this has been answered before.   ???

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
Raising levels in post processing seems to be a mystery to me.

You can use "normalize" to raise the peak up to a certain db value.  For instance if your peak was at -15db and use use normalize to peak of -0.2 db then the whole file will have (15-.2 =) 14.8 db of gain added to it.

Or use amplify to raise everything up a certain amount of user inputted db.

Normalize will have two options, normalize to peak or RMS.  I always use to peak.  From what I understand if you use normalize(RMS) then the program uses some average (maybe the root mean square thus RMS) of the peaks and applys that gain to the file.  But with RMS it alters the dynamics of the waveform.

AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
Raising levels in post processing seems to be a mystery to me.  I have Audacity on the PC, please explain what I have to do. Or reply with a link if this has been answered before.   ???

Open the file with Audacity.
Select the whole file
Go to Effects and hit Normalize ( or something)
Audacity's Normalize feature has as preset for -0.3db ( I think...) You can go with this or change it to 0.1, -0.01 or whatever you might like. I alway go with Nomalize to 0db.

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
Thanks. This is almost making sense now.  How do I change the -.3db?    I don't see any controls.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
Thanks. This is almost making sense now.  How do I change the -.3db?    I don't see any controls.

After selecting the file, click the Normalize feature. At this time, a window will open. That's where you choose your set up (-0db or whatever).
Let me know if it works.
Important: after processing your file, you'll end up with two files: the new processed file and the original wav. Always keep the original file.

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 04:33:20 PM »
There's no choice in the box.  Its fixed at -3 with no option to change it.  But I did change my preferences to always create a second copy (slower) so that I retain the original.  PM offline.....

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
There's no choice in the box.  Its fixed at -3 with no option to change it.  But I did change my preferences to always create a second copy (slower) so that I retain the original.  PM offline.....

You can also use the Amplify feature. It will raise the volume of the whole file till 0db.

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
damn i recorded the show but i think i must of shut off the the recorder before the file was finished saving because the memory card is blank  :-[

dorrcoq

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »
damn i recorded the show but i think i must of shut off the the recorder before the file was finished saving because the memory card is blank  :-[

That isn't possible to do, the file is automatically saved.  More likely, you "taped" with it on "Pause".

Offline vegaspunx

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »
hmmm it said now recording then i put the hold button on not sure what happened then

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com