Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 Recall  (Read 7157 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: R4 Recall
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »
Good call, Brian. I just fed the R-4 a sine wave into inputs 3 and 4. The recorded file is identical in both channels. That means we're in phase, correct?

Yup.  If 3 and 4 were out of relative phase, you'd see one channel (+) where the other's (-), and (-) where the other's (+).  It's immediately noticeable when viewing a sine wave.

Assuming, of course, that the stereo sine wave you are sending is actually in fact in-phase between the R and L channels to begin with. Heh...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 07:36:03 PM »
Good call, Brian. I just fed the R-4 a sine wave into inputs 3 and 4. The recorded file is identical in both channels. That means we're in phase, correct?

Yup.  If 3 and 4 were out of relative phase, you'd see one channel (+) where the other's (-), and (-) where the other's (+).  It's immediately noticeable when viewing a sine wave.

Assuming, of course, that the stereo sine wave you are sending is actually in fact in-phase between the R and L channels to begin with. Heh...

Yeah, good one :)

It looks like mine is fine then. Nice.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 07:42:36 PM »

Of course.  :)  In my case, I used a splitter to send the same signal to both channels.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 09:02:15 PM »
FWIW, when I told Edirol that they tested OK they let me know the problem is only seen when using the 3 pin balanced XLR input. It doesn't show up if you use the 1/4" inputs (which I was using). I don't have any cables to take a line-out to the XLR input... any ideas on testing using the microphones? Hold both mics to the speaker that is playing a sine wave?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 09:20:42 PM »
FWIW, when I told Edirol that they tested OK they let me know the problem is only seen when using the 3 pin balanced XLR input. It doesn't show up if you use the 1/4" inputs (which I was using). I don't have any cables to take a line-out to the XLR input... any ideas on testing using the microphones? Hold both mics to the speaker that is playing a sine wave?

I used an XLR splitter and a single mic for my testing.  Try both mics right up to the speaker playing a sine wave, might work.  Dunno since I've never done it myself.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »

Oops! That's exactly how I tested it last night and everything looked fine. Doh!

Here's an easy way you (and now I when I get home) can test (I think). Send tone to one speaker out of your stereo. Plug in two mics to 1 and 2 XLR inputs.  Record for a few seconds, then swap 1 to 3 and record for a few more seconds, then swap 2 to 4 for a few more seconds. Then, you'll have 1+2, 2+3, 3+4 all overlapping at different periods of time. Open in your favorite editor and make sure 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 all are in-phase.

That should work shouldn't it? That's essentially what I did with 1/4" line in.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »

Oops! That's exactly how I tested it last night and everything looked fine. Doh!

Here's an easy way you (and now I when I get home) can test (I think). Send tone to one speaker out of your stereo. Plug in two mics to 1 and 2 XLR inputs.  Record for a few seconds, then swap 1 to 3 and record for a few more seconds, then swap 2 to 4 for a few more seconds. Then, you'll have 1+2, 2+3, 3+4 all overlapping at different periods of time. Open in your favorite editor and make sure 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 all are in-phase.

That should work shouldn't it? That's essentially what I did with 1/4" line in.

I actually just finished doing that and everything was fine!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
FYI -- Mine is outside of the recall range (newer), but for what's it's worth both the 1/4" and XLR inputs across all four channels are in-phase.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com