Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie.. Ideal Settings for R-09 for...  (Read 1448 times)

Offline ghostyroasty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie.. Ideal Settings for R-09 for...
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:57:41 AM »
Recording African drumming or very loud sounds... I noticed the peak light was coming on, so I changed the gain setting and adjusted the input level. I don't think the recording came out as well as when I tried it with the other gain settings despite it peaking out. The other gain setting seemed to bring everything closer and have a bit more bass to it... What are options I can use?
Thanks for helping a Newbie! 

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Newbie.. Ideal Settings for R-09 for...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
What mics are you using it with?  Did you normalize both files to the same volume so that you get a fair comparison?  You can have the peak light coming on a little with no problem, but if its peaks a lot you will get some sounds that are clipped (the peaks cut off) which may sound worse.  The R-09 seems to have some kind of limiter that makes clipping due to being set to high not sound as bad as some devices where it distorts.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline ghostyroasty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 03:17:43 PM »
Hey,
I compared by hooking up a pair of headphones and comparing the two. The light was blinking every second, so I decided to change the gain. So there was no normalization done. I was also using the internal mics, just trying them out for the first time :-)

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »
Well you would need to listen to the 2 recordings both normalized to 0db for it to be fair.  Plus in headphones its really hard to compare. Best setting is to go as high a volume as you can with the peak light just barely coming on.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com