Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there a clear winner for field recorders?  (Read 3679 times)

Offline worldtenor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Is there a clear winner for field recorders?
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »
I have been reading reviews and listening to samples now for over 30 hours and still am unable to decide whether I should drop the 300-400 dollars it's going to take for a nice field recorder.  I've narrowed it down to the Marantz PMD620, the Zoom H4, the Edirol R-09, and the Sony MZ-RH1.

I'm also checking out the Sony PCM-D50 for a 100 bucks more....what are your thoughts on this one?

I will be using this device to record voice lessons and performances.  I am an opera singer and am also a bit of an audiophile, so I would like to make sure that the recording quality is very high.

Is there a clear choice between these units?  Are the mini-disc players simply too far gone to even consider the Sony?  I'm pretty much researched out and would like to hear what your comments are regarding which unit will perform the best.  Comments from those of you who have had several field recording units is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 02:10:03 PM by worldtenor »

Offline bensyverson

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Is there a clear winner for field recorders?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:24:54 AM »
There have been a lot of Fostex FR2LE and Marantz PMD671 decks popping onto the auction site at around $450... You might want to consider dropping the extra $200 to get a deck you won't be in danger of outgrowing.

That said, the recorders you mention should work fine. It's all a matter of degrees.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:22:46 AM »
I've narrowed it down to the Marantz PMD620, the Zoom H4, the Edirol R-09, and the Sony MZ-RH1.

Marantz...  You can upgrade with the BusMan Modification later...

Fantastic unit.  The others are "toys" compared.  Add a pair of condensors and you'll be set for ANY field recording situation...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
I've narrowed it down to the Marantz PMD620, the Zoom H4, the Edirol R-09, and the Sony MZ-RH1.

Marantz...  You can upgrade with the BusMan Modification later...

Fantastic unit.  The others are "toys" compared.  Add a pair of condensors and you'll be set for ANY field recording situation...

I believe you are confusing the PMD620, which the poster asked about, with the PMD660, which you are describing.

The PMD620 does NOT work with condensors without an intermediate phantom powering adapter, nor is Busman modding them yet (ever?) as far as I know.  Of the recorders listed, only the H4 will work with condensors out of the box, although its mic preamps leave a bit to be desired.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
Overall, I prefer the Fostex FR-2LE, available for about $450 from eBay.  But the internal mics of the FR-2LE are not very good at all.  So for the original poster's needs, a machine with decent built-in mics like the R-09, PMD620 or PCM-D50 might be preferred.

Flintstone

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »
I'm also checking out the Sony PCM-D50 for a 100 bucks more....what are your thoughts on this one?

Get it. You won't regret it.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »
Has anyone actually used the new Sony and it's internal mikes to make music recordings? Comments and impressions, please?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
Has anyone actually used the new Sony and it's internal mikes to make music recordings? Comments and impressions, please?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92069.0.html

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,95964.0.html
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »
I have been extremely happy with the Tascam HDP2 but it is def more $ than mentioned above. it is really easy to use and offers a lot of options
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks, Belexes, but I read both threads and found, at best, two instances of actual use by actual owners. It sounds like a good machine, though.

Aside from the R-09's flimsier build quality, how does the Sony compare with the Edirol in sound quality?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com