Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

New Panasonic 4k compact digital camera TZ100 (EU model) / ZS100 (US model)

<< < (2/20) > >>

bhoy:
Thanks for explaining some of the math to me.  It's starting to make sense.   I appreciate you guys commenting on this.  I'm just learning to read the specs.

I see that the new ZS100 does have a 1 inch sensor.  A 1 inch sensor is 4x better than a 1/2.3 sensor because the area is 4 times larger, correct?  I'm guessing then that the ZS100 should be fairly decent in low light.

Do you know what the shooting modes are on the ZS100?  You mention a 15 min limit.  The ZS7 lets me shoot 720P unlimited.  Might there be a similar mode on the ZS100?  I understand that above 720P, there is a 30 min limit.  Is the 4K 15 min limit a 4GB file issue? Do the models between the ZS7 and ZS50 have 30 min limit, too?   For filming 90min to 2 hr shows, 30 min isn't a bad place to start and stop.  15 min might be a little tougher to work with.

sckofelng:

--- Quote from: bhoy on January 12, 2016, 03:12:09 PM ---Thanks for explaining some of the math to me.  It's starting to make sense.   I appreciate you guys commenting on this.  I'm just learning to read the specs.

I see that the new ZS100 does have a 1 inch sensor.  A 1 inch sensor is 4x better than a 1/2.3 sensor because the area is 4 times larger, correct?  I'm guessing then that the ZS100 should be fairly decent in low light.

Do you know what the shooting modes are on the ZS100?  You mention a 15 min limit.  The ZS7 lets me shoot 720P unlimited.  Might there be a similar mode on the ZS100?  I understand that above 720P, there is a 30 min limit.  Is the 4K 15 min limit a 4GB file issue? Do the models between the ZS7 and ZS50 have 30 min limit, too?   For filming 90min to 2 hr shows, 30 min isn't a bad place to start and stop.  15 min might be a little tougher to work with.

--- End quote ---

No problem, anytime :)

Yes it is 4x larger and also, much more area of it is being used because only a part of the sensor is being used at both FULLHD and 4k Digicams because the pixel count is much higher than the video resolution. I don't know how many pixels the previous models made use of, but the camcorders used much less parts of the sensor because less pixels were only needed for the FullHD resolution. That meant less light could be captured aka less lowlight ability.
That also changes a bit with 4k. Approx. 8 mpx is the 4k resolution and therefore much more space of the sensor can be used. The ZS100 will be the new referrence of the bigger zoom compact cameras most likely.

As for the limits, Panasonic changed their policy of giving the non-european consumers unlimited video for these compact cameras to prevent people from stopping buying DSLRs or Camcorders. It's no 4 GB limit, 15mins should be around 10-11 GB. I don't know if it's the case but the ZS100 could be capable of doing unlimited FullHD video. All models between the ZS7 to ZS50 had the limit in Europe at least, don't know about models outside of Europe.

However, if you leave that out, you have 4 modes of (half) manual settings where you can set ISO, focus, aperture, white balance). It does not have the Cinematic profiles like the FZ1000 but the standard profile might do well, too. If you don't want to get into the manual settings then there are also intelligent automatic settings available. As for me, I always shoot manual because it lets me have all the control of the picture which I always wanted. If you have short songs to film, the 15min limit is not a big issue for me, but if you have long songs to film it can be nerve wrecking for sure.

robeti:
Thanks for the news on the new camera. Great specs!

sckofelng:
First concert sample is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBgEyBytak

My opinion on first sight: as good as FZ1000 until there, but might be a slight little worse at full zoom due to the f 5.9 aperture. I can't wait to tape with this one this summer!!

guitard:

--- Quote from: sckofelng on April 13, 2016, 03:34:05 PM ---First concert sample is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBgEyBytak
--- End quote ---

Maybe it was just an anomaly for the ZS100, but I see it go out of focus at the 40 second mark ... and it reminded me of my Panasonic Lumix experience (forget the model numbers - I've had two over the years).  It's a big reason why I switched to Sony around 4-5 years ago and haven't ever gone back. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version