Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem Stealth Recording w/ CA-14s  (Read 2189 times)

Offline smat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Problem Stealth Recording w/ CA-14s
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
First of all.  The recording I pulled is a testament to the CA14's!  The integrated clips, however, not so much.  I had my mics clipped on to my polo shirt where the buttons are and because of the way the clips are, I could not get them to mount in a directional manner.  One was pointed at the left wall and the other was pointed towards the ground.  The recording is actually not bad, but I know what these mics are capable of!
I'm looking for stealth mounting suggestions here.  Are removable clips a good solution?  The mics are a little big IMO for mounting to glasses or a hat.  I have stealth taped for years with CSC's and they clipped fine to my collar and were much smaller and thus I was less paranoid ;)  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Problem Stealth Recording w/ CA-14s
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
Pm sent.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »
First of all.  The recording I pulled is a testament to the CA14's!  The integrated clips, however, not so much.  I had my mics clipped on to my polo shirt where the buttons are and because of the way the clips are, I could not get them to mount in a directional manner.  One was pointed at the left wall and the other was pointed towards the ground.  The recording is actually not bad, but I know what these mics are capable of!
I'm looking for stealth mounting suggestions here.  Are removable clips a good solution?  The mics are a little big IMO for mounting to glasses or a hat.  I have stealth taped for years with CSC's and they clipped fine to my collar and were much smaller and thus I was less paranoid ;)  Any help would be appreciated.

As Gary Coleman once said, "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

[this text removed and being sent via PM]

Omnis can be run lower but cards want to be run as high as you can possibly mount them.  I think a good starting point would be to quit being so paranoid.  ;)

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »

I've successfully mounted these on a baseball cap more than a handful of times, they were noticeable but not alarming to anyone (including security) and the results were great. That being said, keep in mind what adrianf told you, omnidirectional mics are more likely to get you a good recording when mounting them "over you" than cardioids, since they're more forgiving with your movements and with a relatively poor mounting option like your body.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com