Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps question?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Schoeps question?
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:24:23 PM »
I just purchased a rig 2 weeks ago thinking the buy wasn't bad.  I have Schoeps Mk4 running through a Sound Devices MixPre amp.  My taper friend here in Starkville says the preamp was a bad buy with the Schoeps setup.  I'm trying to read up and see but nothing says the tapes should come out bad.  Thought?????

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Schoeps question?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »
i went to ebay, now where?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:36:22 PM »
the question is...do you like the way it sounds? Its your ears, not his....while not a popular combo, it is in no way a bad one.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:39:49 PM »
All of my tapes so far with the exception of the last made have been horrible because of the mic placement.  It is however seeming like I was 50' away being only about 15' away actually.  But I actually think it can crank out some good tapes with practice and patience.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:50:03 PM »
I'd worry more about properly configuring your setup before throwing more money at it.  If I remember correctly, you were running the mics into the mixpre via line in using attenuators and had distortion/problems.  Did you take steps to get around this problem (i.e. are you able to get what you already have to run properly?).  Nothing WRONG with a mixpre at all, should enable you to pull GREAT tapes with the mk4/cmc6 (right?) setup running into a mix pre --

Post how you have this configured so far and I'll see if I can add any suggestions.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 04:56:02 PM »
mic placement and mic configuration are the two most critical variables in any recording. 

Where are you recording at?

Basic, super overgeneralizaiton -- a) try to place your mics (if possible) in a position that's close to being the tip of an eqilateral triangle, the base of which are the main speakers (i.e. if the speakers are 30' apart, you'd want to be dead center, around 30 feet from each speaker), going a bit back from this (i.e. maybe 30' back from the stage) should be fine, otoh, setting up near near back or side walls is not a good idea at all (echo) b) with schoeps mk4's, the ortf configuration is GREAT (17cm spacing between the capsules, capsules angled at 110 degrees from oneanother)

Offline Jason R

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 06:08:48 PM »
I see some folks that don't know how to run a MP-2.  Try running it as hot as you can.  Use that limiter. (Lights flash above level adjustment knobs on MP-2)  Its a soft limit but to my ears it sort of ends up being a warm pre.  I think some folks might think with the Schoeps being dark that the pre/mics combo isn't too good.  I don't know.  I never heard that combo. 
"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 06:16:09 PM »
best advice I can give, dont listen to anyone except yourself.  I run a MP2 who alot of folks dont like, yet I cant begin to count the number of comments I get from other tapers that say, "you know, I really love your tape of <insert band name here>, and while I dont like the MP2, this sounds great."  This leads me to believe alot of the abuse that people put toward the MP2s are from them (1) hearing crap tapes with that in the lineage...of course the crap tape could have been caused from other things, (2) it is popular to bash the MP2, and (3) the pre just may not sound good with the mics, but that is up to you to decide...dont trust anyone elses word on how it sounds, you can get knee deep in expenses in this hobby if you do

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 06:21:23 PM »
very wise words nick ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 06:22:05 PM »
to clarify, a sounddevices Mixpre is very similar to a sounddevices mp-2 (or is it the same? is "MP" short for "Mixpre"?)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 09:35:55 PM »
Yeah, and I've run the sd442 with schoeps all the time and t is basically the same front end as the mp2, but more stout capacitance in the preamp - but that only equates to more warmth.  In theory people should be hating my tapes given that dark side meets dark side should create a shun...

Doesn't matter what has been done and by whom.  You have a stellar pair of mics, preamps are important, but not as important as location and configuration.  Take it from yourself, not me or anyone else.  Listen.  Listen.  Then adjust.  Who cares what other people hear, you're not hear to impress anyone but *your* ears.
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 09:46:49 PM »
When I've set the mics up in the past, it was nothing right about it at all.  I did the xy configuration with each mic placed directly horizontal over each other, in the only good recording I've done.  In the past I've tried ortf with no good tapes.  I think it was bad since I was not having the mics 17cm apart, probably about 12cm.  Where is the best webpage with configurations besides the oade site?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 10:10:05 PM »
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/

click on microphone university on the left bar

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 10:19:26 PM »
Never liked XY with the schoeps...ORTF or DIN is the way I ran my mk4's DINA for the mk41's........
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 11:40:10 PM »
waste your next tape trying a bunch of different configs, and placements. try din, dina and ortf. try raising and lowering the stand, moving around, find the placement that works. don't forget to write down what you did before what song, otherwise you're back to guessing what sounds good....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com