Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: An Edirol R-09 under the water ( a true story)  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
An Edirol R-09 under the water ( a true story)
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
   Exactly at 10 am this morning, my 5 years old son decided that something more exciting should be done. In few seconds, terrified, I saw my Edirol R-09 pretty much like the Titanic: going down by the head in a swimming pool. :o :o :o

A fraction of a second later, rescue (yours truly) managed to get the poor thing out of the water.
A soft towel took care of the water outside the unit, but what about the inside? There was no water on the battery/SD card.  In profound desperation, I press the power button. The display  works perfectly. But nothing else seems to work: no recording using the built in mics and a crazy behavior with external mics. I mean really crazy.

Well, I remove both battery and SD card and let the unit to RIP. :'(
  Five hours later, I put batteries and card back on and, guess what, everything is working like nothing had happened. I don't know if the sound quality will be affected or the fact that if  it still works after the tragedy is a proof that there's nothing wrong. I really don't know what to think.

Anyway, a R-09 could rattle, could feel weak and cheap. But it can take lots of abuse ( or water).

Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: An Edirol R-09 under the water ( a true story)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.  At least from my experience from cell phones, other electronics with LCD screens ect,  It's best to just leave it to dry before you try to turn it on
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
[...] It's best to just leave it to dry before you try to turn it on

reading the original post I was thinking "dear GOD, DON'T TURN IT ON!!!"  ;D

Hope it truly is okay!
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

Hope it truly is okay!

Yes, friends,you're right. But that's easy to say, not easy to do. Panic can make you do stupid things. At that time, the only thing important to me was: it's working or not? It's pretty much like checking the pulse of a human being.
My question remains the same: if it works, is the sound quality the same?
Thanks for the reply!

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
I would say that the only real way to know is to try it out, make a recording, listen to it...

now, for some optimism, water is one of the best liquids to spill on expensive electronics. It doesn't leave anything on the components, no sugary stuff like soda would or orange juice with its acidity. so you're most likely just fine...and I too have stupidly turned on things right after dunking them in water ><
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »
I would be a little concerned that the chlorinated pool water will cause corrosion.  Not sure but it might be best to disassemble it and rinse it in a parts cleaner that won't melt the plastic, etc. Maybe alcohol.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
   Exactly at 10 am this morning, my 5 years old son decided that something more exciting should be done. In few seconds, terrified, I saw my Edirol R-09 pretty much like the Titanic: going down by the head in a swimming pool. :o :o :o

A fraction of a second later, rescue (yours truly) managed to get the poor thing out of the water.
A soft towel took care of the water outside the unit, but what about the inside? There was no water on the battery/SD card.  In profound desperation, I press the power button. The display  works perfectly. But nothing else seems to work: no recording using the built in mics and a crazy behavior with external mics. I mean really crazy.

Well, I remove both battery and SD card and let the unit to RIP. :'(
  Five hours later, I put batteries and card back on and, guess what, everything is working like nothing had happened. I don't know if the sound quality will be affected or the fact that if  it still works after the tragedy is a proof that there's nothing wrong. I really don't know what to think.

Anyway, a R-09 could rattle, could feel weak and cheap. But it can take lots of abuse ( or water).

Just a bit of advice to anyone that might have this happen.. Never power up anything that has been in the water until you have taken it apart and dried it out. I use 100% isoprophanol bath and set the pieces out in the sun * must be careful with plastic * then I just leave them alone for a few days I towel dry anything I can see that is wet. But after a few days I double check it and if its fine. I will reassemble it and power it up. You were VERY lucky that your unit is fine after only 5 hours. I would suspect there is water inside the r09 still.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »
Well,thanks a lot for all the messages. R-09 still works fine.
Let's hope for the best. ;)

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »

Hope it truly is okay!

Yes, friends,you're right. But that's easy to say, not easy to do. Panic can make you do stupid things. At that time, the only thing important to me was: it's working or not? It's pretty much like checking the pulse of a human being.
Thanks for the reply!

you are right!  first instinct is to turn it on, hope it works.  I've done that and wished i hadn't.  So again, hope it works fine several days from now.   My experience was with 2 seperate cellphones, both my daughter dunking them underwater, second time actually throwin it off our porch, 3rd story, into the lake which i swam out and got.  And here's the caution.  I turned it on immediately, and it powered up and worked fine, then the lcd screen started to mix/blend colors, until nothing legible could be read, then no one could hear me speak on the phone, then i couldn't hear them ect. ect.  so for future reference:  take apart whatever can be taken apart and dry it out before turning it on.

and from the above quote; i am sure there is still water in your r-09, don't turn it on, let it sit outside if that's an option; and let it dry out
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »

Hope it truly is okay!

Thanks for the reply!

you are right!  first instinct is to turn it on, hope it works.  I've done that and wished i hadn't.  So again, hope it works fine several days from now.   My experience was with 2 seperate cellphones, both my daughter dunking them underwater, second time actually throwin it off our porch, 3rd story, into the lake which i swam out and got.  And here's the caution.  I turned it on immediately, and it powered up and worked fine, then the lcd screen started to mix/blend colors, until nothing legible could be read, then no one could hear me speak on the phone, then i couldn't hear them ect. ect.  so for future reference:  take apart whatever can be taken apart and dry it out before turning it on.

and from the above quote; i am sure there is still water in your r-09, don't turn it on, let it sit outside if that's an option; and let it dry out

Thanks. It's outside and today is a very warm day around here. ;)
BTW, I love your SIG. ;D ;D ;D

Offline bhakti

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »
cool to hear he survived....

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
cool to hear he survived....

Well, he did more than that. After a week, I can say he's pretty much like Johnny Winter used to be: alive and well ( yes, Winter is alive, but welll...hummm...I'm not sure about that)
Anyway,this sample is from a great show I taped on Wednesday. Hammond B-3 based quartet (with earthshaking acoustic bass and kick drum).Great band,great sounding venue (250 seats auditorium) and I guess I was at the sweetest spot. Of course, I used my Edirol R-09 plus MM Bb and HLSC-1 ( Sennheiser MKE 40) mics. Some buzz coming from the speakers and a loud air-conditioning were the bad news.
Take care!

http://rapidshare.com/files/100112563/Track01.flac.html

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »
you hung the kid from the balcony by one foot for a while I'm hoping?

Don't be like Mike.  ;D

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
you hung the kid from the balcony by one foot for a while I'm hoping?

Hahahaha! ;D ;D ;D ;D
No, no, I'm the one to blame on this episode. I shouldn't leave expensive gear around.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »
I can now report that opening it up, cleaning it out and drying everything out under a fan works for laptops dowsed with tequila, sugar and lime juice - surely a toxic cocktail to electronics even more than humans.  Put everything back together tonight using the pile of 30 screws and it fired right up to type this message.

Whew.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »
I can now report that opening it up, cleaning it out and drying everything out under a fan works for laptops dowsed with tequila, sugar and lime juice - surely a toxic cocktail to electronics even more than humans.  Put everything back together tonight using the pile of 30 screws and it fired right up to type this message.

Whew.

Now it's my time to say: good to know he survived ;D

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Yeah, you've got to wait...

I had a TV once get buckets of rain poured into it overnight, yes, ALL NIGHT! It wasn't plugged in thankfully, and I waited two weeks to turn it on, and would you know it? It worked perfectly...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com