Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nice Concert Photography Blog  (Read 9416 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Nice Concert Photography Blog
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
I just stumbled across this blog in another forum where someone was linking to his high ISO examples from the D3.  He's got some great shots and some useful info.  But don't go here unless you want to lust after a D3 or wish all the venues in your town had great lighting....

http://ishootshows.com/

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Brian

Re: Nice Concert Photography Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
+T

for beginner like myself, this is a great read. thanks!

edit: looks like the guy shoots a lot of stuff in st. louis too....great reference for me.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
Another beginner here looking forward to diving into this. Looks like he linked to my recording of the Truckers at the Pageant at STL in his blog - very cool. Lots of amazing STL shots there.

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »
I just stumbled across this blog in another forum where someone was linking to his high ISO examples from the D3.  He's got some great shots and some useful info.  But don't go here unless you want to lust after a D3 or wish all the venues in your town had great lighting....

Just thinking about the 14-24 f/2.8 on a D3 is enough to give me a drooling Homer Simpson moment.

But $5,000 could also be a medium-format rig, darkroom, and a medium format scanner!
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »

Just thinking about the 14-24 f/2.8 on a D3 is enough to give me a drooling Homer Simpson moment.

But $5,000 could also be a medium-format rig, darkroom, and a medium format scanner!

For me film is dead.  It would be like taping on an old reel to reel.  It might sound good, and I get the back to basics/roots ethos, but it's not worth the trade off in complexity or ease of use for me.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »

For me film is dead.  It would be like taping on an old reel to reel.  It might sound good, and I get the back to basics/roots ethos, but it's not worth the trade off in complexity or ease of use for me.

Yeah but, huuuuuuge blow-ups!

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
Those are some great pictures.

I really think I've realized what my concert photos are missing, wide angle shots... Of his shots, the wide's are the most impressive.  Especially that one he has of Patterson Hood leaning over the stage with the bottle of Jack.
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »

I really think I've realized what my concert photos are missing, wide angle shots... Of his shots, the wide's are the most impressive.  Especially that one he has of Patterson Hood leaning over the stage with the bottle of Jack.

Agree.

I stay a few feet or more back from stage for ease and convenience.  Usually my rig is flying in the room so I can't be front row all night.  However, there are some definite advantages to being right on top(or rather under) the performer with a super wide.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »

Agree.

I stay a few feet or more back from stage for ease and convenience.  Usually my rig is flying in the room so I can't be front row all night.  However, there are some definite advantages to being right on top(or rather under) the performer with a super wide.

Agreed, I might switch my 28-70 for a 17-55 to try and get that extra wide bit while still being able to extend the reach if I need it.  Times like these make me wish I had two camera bodies that I could use.
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »

Agree.

Agreed, I might switch my 28-70 for a 17-55 to try and get that extra wide bit while still being able to extend the reach if I need it.  Times like these make me wish I had two camera bodies that I could use.

yup.  I have 2nd body but I usually don't lug it around.

My 12-24 is just a bit too wide.  I need to be right on top of the artist and I usually don't want to be bumping into them on stage  :P  Tried some shots with it this weekend for Dubconcious so I need to get around and process them to take a look.

I think my 24-70 is going to be my answer when I move to a full frame sensor here shortly.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »

Agree.

My 12-24 is just a bit too wide.  I need to be right on top of the artist and I usually don't want to be bumping into them on stage  :P  Tried some shots with it this weekend for Dubconcious so I need to get around and process them to take a look.

I think my 24-70 is going to be my answer when I move to a full frame sensor here shortly.

Full frame?  What camera?  I'm jealous.

I wish the D300 was full frame, but alas.   I do have a second body, the D50, but the low noise performance and the layout of the camera makes it not worthwhile for me to do that.
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »

Agree.

Full frame?  What camera?  I'm jealous.

I wish the D300 was full frame, but alas.   I do have a second body, the D50, but the low noise performance and the layout of the camera makes it not worthwhile for me to do that.

5d

My brother in law is in Orange County and his neighbor is a pro photographer.  So, he's on the lookout for one.  Think he already has the one for me picked out, almost new with only 800 actuations plus battery grip.  Either this week or next I'm going to break down and send him the money.  Man, what a hard thing to do, throw down that chunk of change.  Anyone need a 20d body with less than 10k on the shutter?   ;D  Tokina 12-24 ATX f4 almost brand spanking new as well.

I've been battling with going 5d or 40d.  I'm primarily though a landscape photographer (what I frame and sell), so full frame and the higher mp of the 5d will suit me better.  The longer reach and faster fps of the 40d would benefit me with concert photog but, that doesn't bring me any revenue.  I will just have to learn to deal with having 3fps.  I think I can do that considering the very good low noise of the full frame and the very good IQ.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »
FWIW, all my shots are on a 30d, and they are plenty acceptable concert photos (IMO). Point taken on the blow up factor for film and full frame though, and the wide angle of full frame, but you can do just fine with a 30d/40d. In fact, I'd argue the glass is probably more important -- I use some pretty nice glass, and it pays off. That said, I'm in the market to go 5d, thinking about waiting to see if a 5d Mark II ever comes to fruition in the near future, and if/when it does, I'm going to make a play for a used original 5d.

BTW, I just made a pretty nice audio slideshow merging my audience recording with photography that I'm kind of proud of. Not perfect, but getting better. Check my sig for samples...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 01:34:45 AM »
^^

The 30d is plenty acceptable.  Even for blowups.  In fact, I just sent off for some 16x20 off my 20d (same sensor as 30d) and I'm not worried one bit.  The 1.6x crop I think is a benefit for most concert photog because we can't always get as close as we would like to the artist and the extra reach is a benefit.  Long glass is PRICEY!  Your right, great glass on an average back is going to beat out average glass on a great back any day.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
While I think any of those cameras are great, Full frame is great especially for you with the landscapes.  Go with what makes you money... 

I think a 70-200mm should be plenty fine for concert shots with a full frame, if you need more, get closer!  Plus with that size you can cropcropcropcrop.

I'm very jealous you're going full frame, the 5D is a very nice camera.  Does the grip increase the buffer?  I know with Nikons adding a grip ups my D300 from 7 to 9 shots per second.

mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »
While I think any of those cameras are great, Full frame is great especially for you with the landscapes.  Go with what makes you money... 

I think a 70-200mm should be plenty fine for concert shots with a full frame, if you need more, get closer!  Plus with that size you can cropcropcropcrop.

I'm very jealous you're going full frame, the 5D is a very nice camera.  Does the grip increase the buffer?  I know with Nikons adding a grip ups my D300 from 7 to 9 shots per second.

For the record, it goes from 6 to 8 fps, but only with 8 AA batteries or the Nikon EN-E4A (~$400 for the battery, charger, and battery chamber cover).  The normal EN-EL3E in the grip doesn't increase the speed since the camera needs 11-12V.  Also, I'm pretty sure it does not affect the buffer capacity, which is determined by the shooting modes and settings.

Of course the only application I've had for 8 fps so far is, "Hey, listen how fast this freakin' camera is!"   ::)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »
Sanjay, not sure if the grip increases the fps on the 5d

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

For the record, it goes from 6 to 8 fps, but only with 8 AA batteries or the Nikon EN-E4A (~$400 for the battery, charger, and battery chamber cover).  The normal EN-EL3E in the grip doesn't increase the speed since the camera needs 11-12V.  Also, I'm pretty sure it does not affect the buffer capacity, which is determined by the shooting modes and settings.

Of course the only application I've had for 8 fps so far is, "Hey, listen how fast this freakin' camera is!"   ::)

Thanks for the correction...

Honestly I have never had a need, for what I do, to go that fast.  I doubt I ever well.  3fps is fine with me even.
mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 03:27:49 PM »

Thanks for the correction...

Honestly I have never had a need, for what I do, to go that fast.  I doubt I ever well.  3fps is fine with me even.

I'm trying to figure out some kind of project out that could exploit the frame rate.  Obviously it's great for sports, but I'm not in a position to photograph professional athletes at work.  Maybe crashing surf/turbulent water?  Using the frame rate to hedge your bets?  I dunno.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »
Perhaps pop a water balloon, or something like that?  I always liked those pictures where the balloon held it's shape.
mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
Perhaps pop a water balloon, or something like that?  I always liked those pictures where the balloon held it's shape.

Funny you should mention it, I've actually been thinking of some kind of balloon popping stuff, using a dart.

Some of my interest in photography (not to mention science and engineering) was definitely influenced by Harold Edgerton's stroboscopic work at MIT.  The image of the rifle bullet piercing a series of balloons is etched into my memory. 

Recently there was a program on Discovery about the high-speed camera work they're doing at the university today.  They demonstrated with a water balloon being thrown directly in a person's face.  Wow.  At 8fps though, I might get one usable frame.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »
You would be lucky to get a good one, but it's worth a try.

Either that or know any well endowed women who have a trampoline?   :P
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 12:36:59 AM »

I vote for experimentation with this!  Oh, and frank, if you do so, you must post pics  >:D

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »

I vote for experimentation with this!  Oh, and frank, if you do so, you must post pics  >:D

I'd be too mesmerized to take photos.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com