Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for some advice/opinions.  (Read 2570 times)

Offline salmonite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Looking for some advice/opinions.
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »
Howdy,

I am looking for a decent low priced camera to shoot Shows, family, vacations, locations etc... something good for all around use, that would also be nice for festivals & shows where the flash is prohibited. I came across this camera that is in my price range. I am VERY much a beginner, so that enters into the whole as well. will something like this be to advanced? Or will it be fairly easy to pick up as I gain more personal experience with the camera. I understand that I am only going to learn as much as I want to and am very intersted in doing so. Blah blah blah, I'm rambling. thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Link: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looking for some advice/opinions.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »
3 cams in the yard sale to fit your need body wise and lenses there as well for all around use.

Sanjay has a nikon d50 with assorted lenses
Razorback has a canon 350d with a lens
I have a canon 20d and a lens as well for sale.

Either are relatively cheap (considering dslr's can run many thousands), used (which make them cheaper) and come from reputable TS members.  So, you next question to yourself is are you a Nikon or Canon guy.  Then go from there.

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »
I am looking for a decent low priced camera to shoot Shows, family, vacations, locations etc... something good for all around use, that would also be nice for festivals & shows where the flash is prohibited. I came across this camera that is in my price range.
Link: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1.html

Hi Tyler,

The camera you linked to is pretty old, the development is super fast on the digicam scene these days. The sweet point where you get most bang for your buck is probably cameras that came to the market the last two years, not older.

Some considerations:
 - Do you have an absolute budget?
 - What is your max weight/size? The camera you linked to wasn't really pocketable, but if you want to bring your gear to concerts without photo permit, it shouldn't be too big either. Is this a concern?
 - Do you mind lugging separate flash, lenses etc, or are you strictly for an all-in-one?
 - Do you mind picking up second hand gear, like the YS here. Or is your budget for a new set?

/J
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:56:51 AM »
Well,

I don't want to spend more than 250-300, weight size is not an issue, if they don't allow cameras I won't be taking pictures, I would not want to lug extra gear around, (maybe an extra lens or two just for quality's sake).second hand gear is no problem at all. Thanks for the help.

-Tyler

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »
With a budget of only $300 you are going to have a tough time even in the used market finding a DSLR.  It can probably be done, but more realistic for a low end setup capable of all around shooting as well as concert stuff is probably more like 400-500.  That said, I'd suggest if nothing else save up a few more $$ and go with a DSLR.  You will be much happier in the long run with the control and quality and lens options you get from DSLRs. 

Beyond that, the advice above is great.  Nikon or Canon are the biggies, Brian just started a great thread where his ultimate decision was Pentax.  I'd suggest a quick read through that thread, keeping in mind his budget was slightly higher.  Either way, the Nikon D50/70 or the Canon XT/XTi are very nice cameras and readily available in the used market and prices are approaching your stated budget for a body only.  Watch out for the Nikon models such as the D40 and possibly D60 (I'm not sure on it) that do not have an on board focus motor, they are good cameras, but limit the lenses you can use with auto focus.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline salmonite

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
Well,

I splurged a bit and bought a D50 body from Sanjay here on the board, & took some of his suggestions and found a used Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for a pretty decent price. Props to Sanjay by the way, he was very helpful. Thanks and respect to everyone on this thread, I am extremely excited about this purchase!!! ;D

-Tyler

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:05 PM »
Well,

I splurged a bit and bought a D50 body from Sanjay here on the board, & took some of his suggestions and found a used Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for a pretty decent price. Props to Sanjay by the way, he was very helpful. Thanks and respect to everyone on this thread, I am extremely excited about this purchase!!! ;D

-Tyler

Awesome, good for you!  That's a huge step-up from a point-and-shoot and the prime lens is perfect for learning the fundamentals of photography.  Don't worry, it's not rocket science, it's actually quite intuitive once you get the hang of it.  And it's a shitload of fun ;D

Oh, and that lens is ridiculously good.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:20:15 PM by Frank in JC »
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »
Well,

-Tyler

Good choice.  You will be very glad you went the DSLR route in the long run.  And you have a great setup to get started.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com