Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Baffled sub-cards question  (Read 6660 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Baffled sub-cards question
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
continuing the total threadjack..

(in order)
Japanese victrola version
French filigree version
German flying saucer version
US version
And the massive English sound walls and parabolas as they appear today

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »

What the hell is that goofy guy wearing in your avatar I have wondered this for quite some time.. :)

A sound collection and amplification device.

I ran across him looking into the history of Alan Blumlein's work.  Blumlein's early radar research (which brought upon his untimely death by plane crash) lead me to a bunch of really interesting info on sound amplification and collection devices used to listen for approaching aircraft before the electronic era.  You may have seen photos of giant arrays of victrola-like horns pointing at the sky or the huge concrete sound reflecting walls and parabolas built in along the english channel designed to amplify and discern the direction of approaching planes.  Militaries also wanted portable units and that poor sap is just a hapless inventor type who had a great idea, but lacked the grounding in reality to build something that actually worked. 

I have a soft spot for those who actually try and follow through on with seemingly ridiculous ideas.  Years spent tinkering in the garage and dreaming up all sorts of cool stuff that I never have time to develop make me envious of those sorts that put so much effort into things that I would dismiss as totally unpragmatic.  I love the poetry in their eyes.  In a similar vein, here's my current desktop (linked from a recent desktop thread here, apologies for the size but it's all in the eyes)-

When you have some time send me a link that sounds interesting.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »

I ran across him looking into the history of Alan Blumlein's work. 
you need to read

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
^^^
That and Bob Katz's Mastering book are on my reading list, Teddy.  Thanks for reminding me.  Any good books on Harvey Fletcher and the Bell Labs guys doing stereo developent on this side of the pond?

Chris,
Here's one site where I found alot on those things: The Museum of RetroTechnology.
There is a sub page on the airplane listening devices and new sub-page spoofing Hi-Fi tweakage history featuring my man Aushcer.  It appears he gets around.

Don't know where the birdman came from, I found him looking into flapping wing propulsion for a kayak/canoe.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:58:52 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
^^^
That and Bob Katz's Mastering book are on my reading list, Teddy.  Thanks for reminding me.  Any good books on Harvey Fletcher and the Bell Labs guys doing stereo developent on this side of the pond?

Chris,
Here's one site where I found alot on those things: The Museum of RetroTechnology.
There is a sub page on the airplane listening devices and new sub-page spoofing Hi-Fi tweakage history featuring my man Aushcer.  It appears he gets around.

Don't know where the birdman came from, I found him looking into flapping wing propulsion for a kayak/canoe.

Thanks I appreciated that.. Interesting stuff I love the belt radio nothing like having a few hundred volts around your belt! I would sure as shit not want it to rain when I was wearing this thing... Um not to mention the heat from the tubes lol....He kinda looks stoned in this picture.... :o

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:38 AM »
^^^

Chris,

A couple of others..

and all the john eargle books...handbook of recording engineering, sound recording, and the microphone book...oh and john culshaw's "ring resounding", and "mixing with your mind"...when you finish those, let me know..ive got more. ;)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »
Ha Ha, both are on my Amazon list and have been stewing there for a few years.  I need to get back into serious readin' mode.  Thanks once again for the priority readjustment.

Jimna, here's your thread back.. thanks for the loan.   ;) Let's see it's 12:50AM, which means you are probably recording with the subcards & J-disk at this very moment.  Let us know how it goes.

RebelRebel

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
Ha Ha, both are on my Amazon list and have been stewing there for a few years.  I need to get back into serious readin' mode.  Thanks once again for the priority readjustment.

Jimna, here's your thread back.. thanks for the loan.   ;) Let's see it's 12:50AM, which means you are probably recording with the subcards & J-disk at this very moment.  Let us know how it goes.

reading those books(along with John Moulton's "Golden Ears" course) and the tips I get from picking real engineers brains have done a lot to help me get better at recording. I read something nearly every day, and learn something new everytime I record.  AES library is a great resource too...as is "audio eXpress, the magazine(you need a subscription to that, a great mag!!)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »
How was Moulton's "Golden Ears" course?  That's another one that I've though about, time and again for years.  I read a bunch of articles off his website several years back and enjoyed them.  Always wanted to hear some of his sound sculpture compositions. Interesting guy.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 01:24:25 AM »
I have used these two short papers to study and build my Jecklin.
Nov schmoz kapop.

RebelRebel

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 03:32:18 AM »
How was Moulton's "Golden Ears" course?  That's another one that I've though about, time and again for years.  I read a bunch of articles off his website several years back and enjoyed them.  Always wanted to hear some of his sound sculpture compositions. Interesting guy.

very, very good. I use it every day...it has been a tremendous help to me.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 04:20:02 AM »
To get back on the topic of subcards w/ a jecklin disc, I see the experimental point of view of what you want to do Jimbo, but Im not sure why youd want to do it other than experimenting? I have always thought that NOS was the oNLY way to run subcards because it seems like teh PERFECT config for that pattern :)

BUT, I can see why you want to do it, and I sure hope youre onto something and it sounds amazing when youre done :)

I mean, the point of a jecklin disc is to give omnis that feeling of being psuedo-split and to open them up, while maintaining as little space as possible to achieve that 'split' sound/feeling. I just dont know how well it will work realistically. Guess we wont know until you try it out for real tho, eh? ;D

I would just think that NOS would be the way to go for simplicity and for a guaranteed sound, but without actives running NOS, either running full-bodies/NOS or on a jecklin disc, eitehr way youre going to take up about as much space so might as well try it :) IU am VERY curious to hear it tho ;D I am sure it will take a few attemps to get your angle and spacing just right tho. I ran my 482's/J-Disc for just a few shows/setsw back in 2005 and I angled my omnis at about 30* from the face of the disc, and they were 6" apart from each mic, so just 3" from the face on each side, and I was quite happy w/ those results. I would have liked to have ran the 482's/j-disc alot more but I didnt get it all together until the end of summer(moedown 2005) and sold my omnis shortly after.

So, what is your goal here Jimbo? To get a wider imaging and feeling than just plain NOS or something similar? Or just to get a whole different feeling altogether from the usual configs w/ subcards and hope you strike gold? Like I said, I sure hope it works out so we all have a new config to try out w/ the subcards, but IMO, NOS is the standard for subcards for simplicity and sound and I cant EVER see myself running them any differently. But what fun is that? experimenting is a great thing. Just think if noone ever tried DIN or DINa or ORTF or NOS to begin with? We would all be pointing at the stacks :) I tried something very different for RAQ NYE 2007 and ran my MBHO Hypers/NOS on the KwonBar and boy am I glad I did ;D I would only suggest doing that WAY FOB like I was in the 9th row/DFC for RAQ NYE because of the wide separation on the caps and because I didnt want that dreaded 'hole in the middle'. But Hypers/NOS worked out EXTREMELY well that night. Its not something I would do all the time because the location had to be PERFECT for me to even attempt it, plus EVERYONE else was running DINa/DIN, and I had my safety rig on the balcony DFC running 483(DINa)>722, so I figured what the hell? ;D

It would be AWESOME if you could borrow another pair of the busman subcards and ran one pair NOS and the other pair on the j-disc, and ran all 4 channels into the same mod on an R-4 :) THAT would be the way to go, and could really see/hear the differences in the two configs!

I dont now what Im getting at or trying to say. Mostly just LATENITE rambling.

Good luck my friend! We all will be waiting to hear the end result.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
well im only half way through the recording but im very happy with the results.  first off, all set up mumbo-jumbo aside, these mics sound so damn good, thank you chris johnson!  i think the image seems much more pronounced & wider than what i got with NOS.  i am VERY happy with this recording.  very natural sounding w/ a very flat response and a terrific stereo spread.

i ran a set of 483's in DIN also so ill have something to compare to for some sense of scope of the sound that night. 

bean is right, 2 sets of the same mics, into the same preamps, sporting opposing configs would give us the ultimate answer, but thats one tall order to fill.

ill up the recordings on LMA & post links here so everyone can hear/decide for themselves.

thanks for all the advice.  yinz kick ass n@!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:35:42 PM by Jimna »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »
oh and thanks for the reading recommendations too.

+T

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
some follow up, the Busman's Wide Cards Baffled (J-disc, 165mm @ 30*) and the 483's to gage the sound there against:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103026.new.html#new

what does everyone think? 

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com