Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: weird problem with Gefell M300 (repair update)  (Read 2905 times)

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
weird problem with Gefell M300 (repair update)
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »
I've been having intermittent  issues with my rig the last two festival seasons almost always after running it for at least 5-6 hours.  Basically one of my channels will either drop out completely or just fade out gradually. It's been driving me nuts.  First I thought cables and swapped them out.  Then I thought it was my Mini-Me or the digi connection between it and the MicroTrack.  Sent that back to Apogee a few months back to be recalibrated and a new virginally tight spdif jack installed.  Did a few shows and it seemed rock solid. 

Just got an R44 Friday and went up to Delfest Sat. to try it out.  On two inputs I was running my Gefell M300's directly into the R44 with brand new cables.  Everything was going great until the last set.  Of course right when Bush, Grisman and Vince Gill came out to join Del and the Boys, my mic took a crap.  Listening to the file, it just makes this phfft! sound and goes completely dead for 5-6 minutes, then comes back very faintly and slightly distorted, gradually getting a bit louder.  At which point I noticed at the show I had a problem and cranked the gain up.  Seems to sound ok, but still much lower than the other channel.

Well at least I isolated the problem to one of my Gefells.  Just wanted to know if anyone had any idea what it could be or where I should send it for repair?  Hoping it's not terminal cause I love these mics, plus these are supposedly a matched pair with consecutive serial #'s.

btw, I was very impressed with the R44.  Considering I had very little time to fool with before the show, it performed flawlessly doing 4 channels most of the day.  think it's time to let go of the Mini-Me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:37:57 PM by dbindc »
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
Re: weird problem with Gefell M300
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
looks like the optical dc powering in the mic is gone bad
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:01:04 AM by muj »

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »
I sent my MG's to...

C-TEC
1638 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canada V3C 5W9
(604) 942 1001

Paul Blake

Of course this was 2005 so YMMV...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
you could also send them to me as I am a Gefell dealer. I speak directly with MG once a week.

Teddy

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:36:26 PM »
Scooter, I don't think that C-TEC is representing Microtech Gefell any more. Just now I checked, and their former Web site is no longer on line. Nor is C-TEC listed on Microtech Gefell's Web site.

When I spoke with the MG representatives at the NY AES convention last fall, they told me that all repairs should be sent directly to them. (I have a pair of their MT 711 S cardioids.) At the time, their distribution arrangements in North America were entirely unsettled.

However, I see from the company's Web site that they have a number of dealers established in the States now. To see the list, go to http://www.microtechgefell.de/eng/home.htm and click the button that says "Delivery" along the left side. (I guess they translated "Lieferung" a little too literally.) Then click on the part of the circular diagram that says "Studio Condenser Microphones" and finally, choose your continent from the drop-down listbox at the top of the page.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:38:33 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »
that doesn't surprise me at all.  thanks for the update ;)
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline dbindc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
Thanks to all who responded on and off list.  After about a week of emails I finally got a response from MG.  They want me to send it back to them in Gefell, Germany, so I guess they no longer have a N American repair facility.  I probably should have gone thru our friendly TS Gefell dealer, but I was thinking I might save some down time by shipping it direct to where it would be repaired.

For anyone interested, the address is

Microtech Gefell GmbH
Georg-Neumann-Platz
D-07926 Gefell

I'll post back on turnaround time, etc.
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline dbindc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
I finally got my M300's back from being serviced at the Microtech Gefell factory in Germany today.  I really never anticipated what a lengthy, nerve wracking and expensive process it would be.  I wonder if this is par for the course for most European manufactured mics?

I shipped them off June 21.  I decided to send both rather than just the broken one so they could do a cleaning, tuneup on the pair.  At MG's request I put "low value for customs" on the package.  (I still don't understand why something shipped to a country for repair that will shortly be shipped back is subject to import duties but that's another story).  On July 7 I get an email saying that they are held up in German customs and I need to send them my original sales receipt and "proforma invoice", whatever that is.  I wrote back saying I bought them used from an individual in 1999 and don't have a receipt.  Katrin Schnabel, my contact at MG said no problem, they would deal with the customs situation.  Then, for three weeks I hear nothing despite what I'm sure were increasingly anxious emails.  I was beginning to think I'd just spent $85 to lose them in some sort of customs limboland.

July 29th I got an email with the estimate from Katrin.  She'd been on vacation.  Guess the lesson there is don't send stuff for repair to Europe in the summer.  They had to replace the "mounting for the membrane" on the malfunctioning mic and both mics got "testing, repairing, capsule cleaning and measuring".  The 300 total didn't sound too bad til I realized it was in Euros.  The breakdown was 135 - broken mic, 85 good mic and 80 return shipping.  For payment they DO NOT accept credit cards or Paypal.  They require either that you wire the money or send a cashiers check in Euros.  On Aug 4 this was $473.55 plus a $50 fee for doing the wire transfer.  All told it cost $608. 

Anyhow, I'm happy to have my babies back good as new.  At least I only paid $700 for them and I did get confirmation from Gefell that they were originally sold as a stereo pair which was cool.  They also told me they would include a frequency plot of each mic but seem to have forgotten that.  Hopefully I can get them to mail it to me. 

I don't know whether this typical of say Schoeps or Neumann but the whole process was somewhat of a hassle and it seems as if they could do more to make it easier for the non European consumer.  More and cheaper payment options for one.  And maybe some way to streamline or at least keep you better informed of the customs process.  Recommending a specific carrier they often do business with?  I don't know, but telling you to put a low ball value on your mics and hoping they get through is scary.

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: weird problem with Gefell M300 (repair update)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
you;re telling me that the repair cost $600 US!  that's so nuts...
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com