Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to setup Zoom H2 for rock concerts with external core mics?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi guys (and girls),

Is there some guide to set up a Zoom H2 with external Core Binaural mics for rock concerts? Like recording levels and stuff? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to setup Zoom H2 for rock concerts with external core mics?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »
If you are recording loud stuff, you might try using the line inputs, with recording level set at 99 or 100. If I am not using the internal mics, I always use the line-in since I have a mic preamp, so I can't really help you more specifically regarding the CS mics.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline avrilfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
You have luck, I also have Zoom H2 so I can tell you my oppinion.

1. At first as you might have noticed, there are several built in options (AGC/COMP). Dont use them, there is no need.
2. I prefer having LOW CUT on, it sounds much better.
3. Hoping you have bought bigger SD card, because the included one cant handle big bitrates (96kHz WAV). And also have in mind that the recorder has 2GB max file size, so calculate how long the concert will take and than decide if you want to use 48kHz (1 single file less than 2GB) or 96kHz (you will have to split recording, so you will need like 1 min pause during the show).
4. I prefer using back pair of microphones because it has 120-degrees angle. But if you have external core mics, even better.
5. Never adjust recording level higher than 100. You can always edit that later on pc without risking any quality. And ofcourse I suggest using low gain setting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:39:46 AM by avrilfan »
CA-11 Cards > CA-9100 Preamp > Zoom H2 :)

Thanks you Chris Church for your awesome gear.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:26 AM »
You have luck, I also have Zoom H2 so I can tell you my oppinion.

1. At first as you might have noticed, there are several built in options (AGC/COMP). Dont use them, there is no need.
2. I prefer having LOW CUT on, it sounds much better.
3. Hoping you have bought bigger SD card, because the included one cant handle big bitrates (96kHz WAV). And also have in mind that the recorder has 2GB max file size, so calculate how long the concert will take and than decide if you want to use 48kHz (1 single file less than 2GB) or 96kHz (you will have to split recording, so you will need like 1 min pause during the show).
4. I prefer using back pair of microphones because it has 120-degrees angle. But if you have external core mics, even better.
5. Never adjust recording level higher than 100. You can always edit that later on pc without risking any quality. And ofcourse I suggest using low gain setting.

Thanks for your help. I do not have a mic pre-amp unfortunately. So it would be better to record it over the line-in port on the Zoom H2 and put the levels up to 90/100? I'm planning on buying 2x 2GB SD Cards this week. I definately don't want the recording to clip. I'll do a regular wav recording probably on 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 06:06:18 AM »
Do you have a battery box?  Something (a battery box or pre-amp) is required to power those mics if you go line-in, which is definitely the best option.

Otherwise, you will have to go mic-in, where you can use plug-in power to run the mics.  On my H2, though, the mic-in is really noisy.

Also, I would go without the low-cut.  You can always take out some bass in post production if it's too much.

Good luck!

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:08:09 AM »
Do you have a battery box?  Something (a battery box or pre-amp) is required to power those mics if you go line-in, which is definitely the best option.

Otherwise, you will have to go mic-in, where you can use plug-in power to run the mics.  On my H2, though, the mic-in is really noisy.

Also, I would go without the low-cut.  You can always take out some bass in post production if it's too much.

Good luck!

I think I have a battery box, it came with the Core Sound microphones, it has a flat and bass option.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
Are there more people who are willing to share their opinions on this one? More help would be appreciated.

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Thanks for your help. I do not have a mic pre-amp unfortunately. So it would be better to record it over the line-in port on the Zoom H2 and put the levels up to 90/100? I'm planning on buying 2x 2GB SD Cards this week. I definately don't want the recording to clip. I'll do a regular wav recording probably on 44.1 or 48 kHz.
Running the levels anywhere but 99 or 100 is not going to prevent clipping. It's the analog input stage that's oversensitive to high-level signals.
I Agree. Don't cut the lows when taping. If they're out of line, cut them later in audio workstation software. Much more control that way.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »
As I understand it, 100 is unity gain on the H2. That is also on the digital side, going lower wont save you from clipping. The only analog gain adjustments is the L-M-H switch. I record electric blues bands and always use the "L" setting and usually get decent results.

I would highly recommend buying a Church-Audio CA-9000 or CA-9100 preamp (good bang for the buck!) and use the line in on the H2. I have only read one report of anyone getting good results using the external mic input, most say it sucks. One advantage of the external preamp is that you can adjust levels on the fly, something you can't do using the H2 alone.

Also, save yourself a headache and buy at least 4GB SD cards. Most of the time you can fit a set on a 2GB card with no problem using 44.1 or 48kHz stereo but if you go four channel or go for higher sampling rates (or if the band plays long sets!) you will be running into space problems. 4GB cards are relatively cheap now. I can record a whole evening in the club on a 4GB card at 48kHz/24bit.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline LZJoker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
The only problem with using anything over 16bit for taping, is when it hits 2GB it takes f#@king ages to start the new file (gaps in recording) which i think is a really fundamental failing which should have been cured in the development stages.

Offline morst

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
The only problem with using anything over 16bit for taping, is when it hits 2GB it takes f#@king ages to start the new file (gaps in recording) which i think is a really fundamental failing which should have been cured in the development stages.
qft. if the music might go over 2 hours, consider using 16bit if you think you won't have time to stop and restart between songs to manually create a split. Mine takes at LEAST 30 seconds to make the transition itself. That, and the oversensitive line inputs are the the largest downfalls of the H2.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »
I recorded the gig already. The sound is pretty decent, the sound in the venue was so bad. But the mics and the Zoom H2 did their job very well. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys!

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »
What settings / config did u end up using?

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:33 AM »
What settings / config did u end up using?

I did use the lowcut setting. And the recording gain up to 95.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com