Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Minidv tape broke - how to fix?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Minidv tape broke - how to fix?
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »
I made the mistake of trying to use one of those tape rewinders to save a little wear and tear on the camera.  The second tape I put in it got stuck and the tape broke  :'(

What's my best bet to get this fixed so I can get the footage off the tape?
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Minidv tape broke - how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »
I made the mistake of trying to use one of those tape rewinders to save a little wear and tear on the camera.  The second tape I put in it got stuck and the tape broke  :'(

What's my best bet to get this fixed so I can get the footage off the tape?

I would think to do like we had to do "back in the day" with cassettes.  Scotch tape.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »
If you decide to try that method make a clean cut on each side so there are no jagged edges and put tape on the back side only.  I would also use a cheap camera that is expendable if you have one.  If it works output the AVI back to a new tape and throw the damaged one out.

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
Part of my problem is I only have one end of the tape, the other end is sucked back up into the tape  :'(
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »
Part of my problem is I only have one end of the tape, the other end is sucked back up into the tape  :'(

pop it open..tape it back together.  You only need it to work once to transfer it :)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

pop it open..tape it back together.  You only need it to work once to transfer it :)
Yep.

You are going to have to open up the tape either way.

I'd get a throwaway tape of the same brand and open that one first - don't dismantle it - just open it up and set it aside.

Then open up the broken tape, fix it up as best you can, and then put it back together.  If you run into problems trying to figure out how it all goes back together - use the open throwaway tape as a reference.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
If you decide to try that method make a clean cut on each side so there are no jagged edges and put tape on the back side only.  I would also use a cheap camera that is expendable if you have one.  If it works output the AVI back to a new tape and throw the damaged one out.

I'm in the same boat.  To be clear, the "back" of the tape is the outside side, right?

keytohwy

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
The back of the tape is the side that's facing the inside of the tape.  When you open the cover to the tape the back is the side you won't see.  Only the outside part makes contact with the head so you want to put the tape on the back side that will not run across the head.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com