Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for inexpensive headphone amp  (Read 3948 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Suggestions for inexpensive headphone amp
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »
I sometimes do playback on my computer and was looking for an inexpensive amp to power my Sony 7506 headphones. found some small versions for $30-65. Has anyone had any luck with those models?

Like below: http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/amplifiers/jds-labs-cmoy-bass-boost-v2.00.html

http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/amplifiers/micro-cmoy-opamp2227.html

if you want to spend more cash check out this tube amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-little-dot-mkii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp-284835/

buy them on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-MK-III-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-Pre-Amp_W0QQitemZ190255151291QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:15:18 AM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Suggestions for inexpensive headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
I've learned that like our gear here (mics and amps), head amps are best paired with headphones specifically. Depending on your budget and how passionate/interested you are about this, I'd consider looking over at head-fi.org if you haven't already. Those people are as passionate about their gear as we are about ours. So while this isn't an answer to your question, it hopefully is another tool that will help you get to your answer.

For my Etymotic ER-6s, I came to the conclusion that the pico DAC/amp was the best thing I could do for what I wanted (not necessarily the price range though), but there were 3 or 4 others in the running.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:39:16 AM »
I think just about any amp would work well with the 7506's, they certainly are not power hungry so if you just need something to power them.  I'm assuming you can't connect them directly to your pc or sound card, so check out a cmoy amp, its cheap and does the trick just fine, imho.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZERO-24-192-DAC-D-A-CONVERTOR-HEAD-FI-AMP-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ110287172415QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was convinced by a third party (*cough* wife *cough*) to buy this one, coincidentally from that seller cause it was 1/5th the price of the Pico and there wasn't a waiting line to get one manufactured. One thing to note about this unit specifically is that the opamps are easily replaceable, so if you want to customize the sound, it's very possible with these. The seller in question actually sells 2 versions; one is the stock with OPA2604 chips, the other has a set of OPA627 in it (mine).

It arrived today (10 days?) First impression is that it does the job as intended. I went from the cheap ibook headphone out to this, and there's a smoothness with additional nuances I hadn't realized were on my tapes that I now am starting to pick up on, which is great. The downside is that I'm also hearing the other ambiance thats on my tapes like some of the stuff that people talk about at shows that your mics pick up... So in that regard, this is meeting my needs (a replacement for the headphone jack while doing midside decoding)

Also, it's *loud*, even on the equivalent of a 1, it's almost too loud for comfort with my ER-6s, any lower and I'm not powering the headphones to get a balanced sound output from both earbuds I haven't figured out if it's the amp that causes the imbalance or my 3.5mm>1/4" adaptor... The raw output on the laptop seems to be disabled since I'm sending a signal via USB (not the first time I've had this happen), but I can control the volume in an individual application so I can drop it that way.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »
Also, it's *loud*, even on the equivalent of a 1, it's almost too loud for comfort with my ER-6s, any lower and I'm not powering the headphones to get a balanced sound output from both earbuds I haven't figured out if it's the amp that causes the imbalance or my 3.5mm>1/4" adaptor... The raw output on the laptop seems to be disabled since I'm sending a signal via USB (not the first time I've had this happen), but I can control the volume in an individual application so I can drop it that way.

I have a Zhalou, which is another one of those Chinese DAC/pre/headphone amps, similar to the Zero.  I am using it at home with some Senn 280-HD phones and had the loudness problem as well.  Apparently the headphone amp gain was cranked.  You may be able to adjust the turn pots on the heaphone board to get the volume down a little bit.  I decided to go another route with mine, by replacing the cheap potentiometer with a Goldpoint attenuator.  I'm doing a bunch of other mods as well, and will be recasing the entire amp with some nice wood.  Anyway, now that I have the attenuator in place, the volume levels are far more reasonable.  Other owners of these DACs have replaced the stock potentiometer with a higer quality one, such as Alps.  But maybe you can ask the seller if it is possible for you to adjust the output level with the turnpots.

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »

You could also use a 1/8" attenuator plug. One came with my UE superFi 5pro's for use with airplane headphone jacks.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:04 PM »
I have one with which I use with my AKG k701. It isn't too loud with them...

I don't think you can beat it fro the price. The DAC sounds very good, if you only have digital sources, you could use it as a pre as well...

-Noah
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »
Does the Zero have analog in for Vinyl playback and such?

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:40:18 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZERO-24-192-DAC-D-A-CONVERTOR-HEAD-FI-AMP-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ110287172415QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Audio Panda says:
7) Hi End headphone amp,it is not by a cheap IC.In fact it is amplified by a matched pair Hi End transistors each channel.Absolutely it is capable to be a pre amp output.

;D

All your DAC are belong to us!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:07:06 PM by Bob »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 06:59:52 AM »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
Does the Zero have analog in for Vinyl playback and such?

no, digi in only. for a more full featured dac/head-amp/pre, check out the citypulse stuff:
http://www.audio-magus.com/Citypulse_7_2x_DAC_p/cpda72xv2.htm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 08:54:34 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
Still think I might get the Zero. For some reason I like never ever listen to vinyl via headphones

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:35 AM »
so I ordered the JDLabs Cmoyw/bass boost. Got it in today and gave it a test run with my Ipod and was completely blown away with how much power it puts out. I only turned up 30% and my ears started hurting. Tried it out with my laptop and it kicks ass. For $65 it can't be beat. I guess the 5 star rating it got on HeadFi.org was accurate.

http://jseaber.com/cMoy/

here is the review http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/amplifiers/jds-labs-cmoy-bass-boost-v2.00.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com