Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: who uses a Zoom H2 as their main recorder?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline ozarkbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
who uses a Zoom H2 as their main recorder?
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Are you happy with it?  I'm slowly rebuilding my taping rig that I sold off (I've got a Church ST-9100 pre, still in the market for mics & recorder).  My wife tells me she's got a little bit of Christmas money left to spend on me, $150 or under.  I had an R-09 before and I was happy with it and what it was able to do.  Is an H2 a lateral, up, or down move?   

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: who uses a Zoom H2 as their main recorder?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:42:42 AM »
PM morst.  i know he uses one on a regular basis.

would like to get one, but right now im stuck trying to find a CF card to work with an R1 i just got.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline Kevin T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
PM me

Kevin

Offline nolonemo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
There are some serious users on the Zoom forum at http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15.  Ozpeter, a member here, is a respected voice over there.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
One of the main problems with the H2 for recording loud concerts is that if you set the sensitivity switch to low and need to turn the record level below 100 to keep the meters from going over, your recording will distort anyway (the record level control works after the analog to digital decoder) . If you want to use the H2 to record live music, you should be able to avoid this problem by-taking advantage of the attenuation provided by the ST-9100. Just keep the H2's record level at 100 and adjust your levels with the ST-9100. If the meters aren't going over, you shouldn't get clipping.

That said, the R-09 is considered by most everyone here to be a better recorder, but the H2 does have better built in mics than the R-09.  So if you want to save some money and have better built in mics, I think the H2 should do OK recording live concerts as long as you go line in with the ST-9100 when you use externals (and don't try to use the internals when the concert will be loud enough that you would need to set the record levels below 100 to keep the meters from going over).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
I use the H2 as another tool in the box rather than a "main recorder", and I don't use it for recording amplified music (that's not my thing) so I don't run into difficulties with excess levels.

It's a great point-and-shoot recorder, and in the context of ambience recording or recording acoustic music in a natural concert hall setting, the two stereo pairs are handy to have - that perhaps is its key feature.  It's not good with external mics due to a mysterious amount of noise on the mic inputs, but its own mics give results which go beyond expectations in terms of its size and cost.   If you can control the level of the incoming signal externally, it's also fine as a line level recorder.

Apart from casual uses like simply recording stuff off the radio using line-in, I use it as a stereo backup in conjunction with an R-44, and as an additional stereo / 4ch mic which doesn't need cabling - eg the other day I wanted to record the compere of a music competition together with audience ambience and put it on a stand in front to the compere's lectern in 2 x stereo mode, and integrated that into the music sections of the even in the DAW afterwards - thus avoiding the need to take up channels on the R-44 which I needed for music.

The first (and others) post as http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745&start=0 is essential reading for prospective purchasers.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »
PM morst.  i know he uses one on a regular basis.
Quite true.

Now that I have a -11dB pad cable for the line input, I'm very happy with it. I think I could do better, but not for the money. Happy to answer any specific questions - maybe post 'em here and PM me to get my attention since I mostly just check the kickdown and team boards on a regular basis.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:14:45 AM »
Are you happy with it?  I'm slowly rebuilding my taping rig that I sold off (I've got a Church ST-9100 pre, still in the market for mics & recorder).  My wife tells me she's got a little bit of Christmas money left to spend on me, $150 or under.  I had an R-09 before and I was happy with it and what it was able to do.  Is an H2 a lateral, up, or down move?   

They are horrible and I would never buy one. They have huge sampling rate issues for one thing and a very noisy preamp section. Get a used R09.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »
i wouldnt use the h2 as a main recorder... maybe as something in the tool box to bring to that sketchy venue.

get another r-09... the a/d is awesome and you already have a pre... just need some mics and you are golden.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
i will using as main recorder, cuz it's one the cheapest recorders and the mics makes good quality recording, and i don't have money for external mics or a expensiver recorder...
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »
The H2 w/o external mics and a means of attenuating too loud sources (such as the ST-9100) is a viable option only if you do not record extremely loud sources.

If you have the H2 set to low sensitivity and need to turn the record level below 100 to keep the meters from going over, your recording will distort anyway since the record levels attenuation is performed after the analog to digital conversion. See the link provided by ozpeter.

If you do go with the H2, keep the record level at 100 and if the meters indicate clipping, move away from the source until the meters are not going over. Reducing the record level is useless.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:46:56 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline ozarkbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 11:30:55 AM »

They are horrible and I would never buy one. They have huge sampling rate issues for one thing and a very noisy preamp section. Get a used R09.

Well, crap.  Too late now, I have insider knowledge that Santa has put one under the tree for me.  I'll be looking to upgrade in '09 I guess.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »
Well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Keep us posted!

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 07:44:49 AM »
Well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Keep us posted!

Ditto (for the $)

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »

They are horrible and I would never buy one. They have huge sampling rate issues for one thing

Chris

First I'v heard about this issue. care to elaborate?

and a very noisy preamp section. Get a used R09.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com