Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo mic with low noise ... - anyone tried Talinga?  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Stereo mic with low noise ...
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
not to mention the Rode NT4 can use the Studio Projects C4 hyper capsule for even more of a wider narrower directional pattern......   The companies both trace their origins to the same Chinese manufacture, having identical threads and compatability....  :-)

Again - just for future reference - this is wrong. ASFAIK the NT4 capsules are permanently attached to the body and can NOT be changed out with others like the NT5's can.

I have no idea about which Rode microphones have interchangble capsules and which do not, but noticed a more general mis-statement in the post above. Hypercardioids arranged coincidentally with a 90 degree angle between them have a narrower stereo recording angle than cardioids in the same configuration.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline choros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Stereo mic with low noise ...
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »

http://www.rodemic.com/accessory.php?product=NT45-C
NT45-Cardioid : Compatible microphones : NT4, NT5, NT55, NT6
The NT45-C is a replacement cardioid capsule for the NT4, NT5, NT55 or NT6 microphones.

Man, I'm really sorry if I'm wrong. Now I've just confused things more.  ??? Has anyone actually removed them? I had one and didn't think I could. I also was told (can't remember where or by who of course) that I could not. I'm not very tech savvy though so I very well could be wrong. I'd like to know for sure though by someone that has done it. Thanks.

Offline choros

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Stereo mic with low noise ... - anyone tried Talinga?
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
I just posted in the other old thread that I resuscitated to spew my misinformation on as well. I'm really sorry - I'm really an idiot.   :'(

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=116772.30

I think I'm an idiot.     I'm sorry for bringing this up. I got some bad info apparently and I never really tried hard enough to unscrew them I guess. And now after looking at pics of the NT4 it looks like they can be unscrewed. Can I delete my posts and go home now?  Again, I really apologize.

Jay

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
Gutbucket, a late add-on: You're right, of course, but please keep in mind that a narrower stereophonic recording angle (to use Michael Williams' term) leads to greater discrimination between left and right channels and thus a wider-sounding stereo image in playback. I'm fairly certain that the previous post meant that.

To repeat, the fundamental problem with the NT4 is far too wide a stereophonic recording angle (180°!), which in turn leads to a near-mono pickup of centered, distant or semi-distant sound sources. Usually an SRA of distinctly less than 100° is preferred (YMMV of course).

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
Yes, exactly.  I find it hard to word clearly, and somewhat of a mental paradox that wider angles between directional microphones produce a narrower 'window' that frames the sound sources which will be spread between the speakers when played back (William's Stereo Recording Angle), by increasing the difference between the two channels and therefore sounding 'wider' overall. 

It's sort of like looking at the concept from two opposite perspectives.  Which reference for wide? The location of things to be recorded as viewed from the microphone perspective, or the aural perspective on playback.

For most of the recording done around here the microphones are placed far enough away that a narrower perspective covering the sources as viewed from the microphones (provided by wider angle between them), is usually more useful by in effect spreading out the sounds within that recording 'window' to fill the playback 'window' between speakers.

Far easier for me to comprehend than write correctly.. whew.

Thanks for the clarification, and my best to you.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wbrock001

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
I have a telinga pro6 handle and dual microphone.  I have the twin science mic...which are two mono mics with one being omni facing out and one being cardioid facing in toward the dish.  So the handle allows, if I remember correctly, use of a frequency filter to trim out wind and other low frequency noises. so it's not stereo. It just allows you to choose which mic is getting what you want better.

Are there any specific questions?  I could take it out and do some recording if that would be useful. I originally got it because a past client gave me the impossible task of recording seminars of people all over the room and wanted me to be as passive as possible to not disrupt the flow...so without a big budget the dish allowed rapid transition to people in different places and the acquisition of intelligible if not tinny voices...  So it seems to be very low self noise but definitely better for tiny sounds at high frequencies like birds.  I haven't tried it without the dish but I'm sure it would sound more natural.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com