Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: where to start with dSLR purchase?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
where to start with dSLR purchase?
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
So, I sold my V3 with the explicit purpose of buying a a digital SLR.  I have been thinking Canon, I have a budget of ~$950, give or take... would love to get something nice and versatile.  is this doable? 

I have been thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera Body, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens, and Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens package at costco for $925.  are these lenses worth a damn?

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: where to start with dSLR purchase?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »
What are you planning on shooting with it?

If you're going to shoot concerts you going to need a lens (or lenses) with a very large aperture. A lot of people like the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens. It's a little pricey ($400), but it's great low light photos.

With the 50mm you're going to have to be pretty close (like stage lip). So you will probably need some sort of telephoto lens as well. I'm not an expert on them, but I know some people use a 70-200mm zoom for far away shots. Since I'm not familiar with those I can't recommend any. I personally am looking at the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L lens, but that costs more than you want to spend on your whole deal (it's $1249).

Either way...I'd spend more money on lenses and less on a body. You can always upgrade the body later, and keep the nice lenses.

For the record I just ordered a Canon 50D with the standard 28-135mm lens as a referb for $1099. With a lens hood, and extra battery and 3 filters the total came to just over $1200 shipped from Adorama. I plan on adding these lenses asap: Canon 17-40mm f/4L (for landscapes), Canon 50mm f/1.4 (close concert shots), and finally the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L. I'm going to splurge on those 2 L lenses so I can still shoot film, but I don't think I'll shoot film for shows much. Just for landscapes (which is what I do most of the time).

EDIT: Took a look at those 2 lenses. It looks like when you are zoomed in the f stop is about 5.6. I'd personally prefer a little larger than that. From my experience the artist will have to be fairly still to get a good picture.

Someone else feel free to add their 2 cents. I'm an intermediate photographer at the most. More like a beginner for concert photos.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:11:13 AM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:11:31 AM »
I concur, what are you going to shoot?

I tape, but my wife is the photo person here, and thats always her question when someone asks. She works with contract photographers and they debate the pros and cons of brands much like we do, and the generalist perspective is: For better color, choose Nikon, but for better action representation, choose Canon.

Other then that, she shoots shows with a (Canon based) 85mm 1.8f and its a compromise between the short range and lowlight availability of the 50 and a lense that you don't have to hump the stage with.

She is looking at Sigma lenses (which are made for both Nikon and Canon, beware on the edition), 50-150mm f2.8 ($750) and 70-200mm f2.8 as well ($800), but thats with the intent of shooting action shots / lower light. ymmv.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:08 AM »
The use: multi-use - that is where my question lies...  my primary purpose is to take shots of my developing family (we have a baby due in February) - so everything around that + hiking, camping, nature shots, etc- but I also would like to use it for concerts if at all feasible -though that is not the aim.

I know I will have to buy more lenses for different purposes, but want to start with a decent all-around for frequent use. 
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »
For family, I would take a look at the Rebel T1i. 15 megapixels. It also does HD video (720p at 30fps and 1080 at 20fps). Very nice to have when the little one does his/her first things.

I had lenses similar to the ones you are looking at, and the pictures were pretty good. Certainly more than adequate.

If you don't mind going a bit over $1000, that 50D deal I got comes with a nicer lens (Canon's middle of the road lens group). It's a 28-135 so that covers most of the range you would need for kids (close ups to medium far away). You might need to get a longer lens for when they start playing sports or band or anything else where you might be farther away.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »
the 50d doesn't have the HD video capability though?  i can't see anything in the specs about it.  seems important to me... though that wouldn't necessarily be the primary use.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
I went through the same process a while back.  The thread:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100817.0.html  (obviously models / pricing are slightly or significantly different, now)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
My bad. The 50D does NOT have video recording. Nice feature to have but I can live without it.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
so, what did you end up buying, Brian? 

my post looks pathetic relative to yours... damn. 

would it be worthwhile to save on the body and get better glass and upgrade the body later, or should it be the other way around?  if the sensor and the MP rating are similar for the bodies - like the 40D and 50D?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
IMO, high end digital cameras are no different than high end recording equipment. If you are new to the game and want something that 95% of people are going to be blown away with then "entry-level" high end equipment will do. but if you want to impress connoisseurs you need extraordinarily nice stuff. it's the game of diminishing returns. I haven't researched the specific lenses you mention, but frankly most items in that range will achieve approximately the same results. sure there will be people with preferences on specific brands, but the comparison is a matter of taste. it's like comparing AKG and MBHO or milab and beyer. they each have there own characteristics neither is really "better." It's personal preference. with that being said...

My wife has the exact same body you listed with lenses in the same "class" as what you listed and ALL of our family and friends think she is some sort of photography genius. not kidding.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
Here's a good place to start: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,126588

I went through this process recently and settled on a Nikon D80 (it was "recently" discontinued so there were/are great deals to be had) and a 1.8 50mm. I've since added a 17-55mm 2.8 lens. I'd like to get a basic telephoto lens next but a fast telephoto lens is quite costly so I need to do some saving.

The ability to record HD video is a waste IMO. For a short clip here and there it's fine but it's not a replacement for a video camera. And I've read that using it for extended periods deteriorates the sensor...

Keep in mind that if you plan on starting with a basic kit and growing it as your interest grows you'll be faced with the full frame vs cropped debate. Take some time and evaluate your history with gear before diving in with a body and/or lens.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »
Good points from everyone. Most (if not all) SLR's from Canon and Nikon CAN take amazing pictures (more amazing if you do a little learning).

Costco will take things back, correct? Good thing about the setup you're into is you can buy it...if you don't like it...take it back!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 04:18:48 AM »
Beware...I went a bit overboard and this is loooooong.  I needed a distraction tonight to take my mind off other matters, and I'm a bit OCD, generally, and tend to over-analyze stuff like this.  You may wish to stop reading when you get to (or even before) the first quote.

For your multi-use (family and family-related activities + concerts), I'd start off with a body that's 2-4 generations back.  It'll save money, still provide the basic functionality you need, and allow you to spend more on glass...which you'll appreciate immediately and probably keep even if (when!) you upgrade bodies.  (Well, within reason...there are APS-C-specific v. FF compatible lens issues to consider.  If you buy APS-C-specific lenses for your APS-C body and then upgrade to a FF body, you'll have to replace all your lenses.  Just another reason to buy used, IMO, or FF-compatible lenses).

I'm really only familiar these days with Pentax gear, so I'd go with a used K-100D for ~$300  or K10D for $400 (model line-up includes, in descending order from newest to oldest:  K-7, K-20D, K-10D, K-100D...and a couple/few others down the line, as well as some more consumer-ish offshoots scattered throughout the line-up).  Or, of course, a similar CaNikon equivalent.  The goal:  leave plenty of cash for good lenses!

I'd get a fast 35mm, 50mm, or 85mm, somewhere in the f/1.4 to 2.0 range).  My 50mm f/1.4 (see below) set me back ~$190 new.  Manual focus would have set me back < $100...with similarly excellent image quality (IQ).  New prices have gone up recently, unfortunately.  Anyway...a fast, quality, and not-too-expensive 35mm or 50mm, regardless of your system brand, will prove useful for low-light concerts and family shots while delivering superb image quality for both.

I'd then get a reasonably good quality or excellent wide to short-tele zoom (say 17-50 or 70).  Judgement call as to which, I think.  I started with a reasonably good quality Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro f/2.8-4.0 ($300).  I think it's an excellent starter lens, as I found the price right, the quality quite nice, and the zoom's focal length hugely useful for landscapes, walkaround, family shots, etc.  There are more expensive, higher quality, and similar wide to short-tele zoom lenses out there you may wish to consider (though I don't know many with quite the same combination / spread of focal length).  For me, the price/performance increase wasn't significant enough to warrant the extra cash required to upgrade on my first zoom lens.  But that may not be the case for you.

As for the rest ($300-400)?  Never mind, thought your budget was $1,200 for some reason!  Don't forget:  you'll need media storage, but cards are relatively cheap, even the fast ones.  Maybe purchase an inexpensive hotshoe flash, if you find yourself needing it.  Or a gear bag/pack.  Or CPL and/or UV filters.  Or a Rocket Blower and/or LensPen.  Other than that, I'd save any remainder until you decide how you'd like to proceed based on your usage of the above gear.  You may wish to switch to all-primes, all-the-time.  You may want to replace a reasonably-good 17-70 (or a similar lens you select in its stead) with something better / "faster".  You may find yourself longing for longer focal lengths.  You may decide you want a lens capable of ultra-wide focal lengths (10-15mm).  You may decide you hate your body and want to upgrade.  Who knows?  But you likely won't know until you use the gear a bunch and get a feel for your shooting scenarios and preferences.

FWIW, the above recommendations are not brand-dependent -- I'd suggest the same general approach regardless of which brand you select.

A suggestion I see often, by Lowell, a fellow Pentaxian on a brand-specific board, and with which I agree for a multi-use lens map:  as you build your lens map, think about planning to cover from somewhere in the 20s to 150mm with fixed 2.8 aperture zooms.  Extend that to 200mm if you're into wild life, sports, or desire the extra reach for one reason or another.  And/Or drop down to low-20s or 20mm f/2.8 if you have a strong desire for wider angle.  Then fill in with primes or ultra-wides for special purposes.  I've largely ended up this way (see below).  Ultimately, I'd like to cover shorter focal lengths at fixed 2.8 (down to about 16mm), but it's not a priority for me right now, and may never be.

And remember:  as with recording gear, used photo gear offers better value than new, and tends to hold value quite well.

Finally, one last note before I start rambling even further:  I also recommend finding a shop that carries CaNikon, and -- if you're considering it -- Pentax bodies.  Try them in the store.  Get a sense for how they feel in your hands.  Try out the menus and buttons to see if they feel right to you.  The Pentax body just felt "right" in my hands, and I preferred the controls / menu...a not-inconsequential input to my decision-making process.

Edit to add:

I have been thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera Body, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens, and Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens package at costco for $925.  are these lenses worth a damn?

The problem with kit lenses, usually, is that they're slow.  And these fit that mold: the 18-55 is f/3.5-5.6 and the 55-200 is f/4.0-5.6.  Granted, they have Image Stablization, which helps, but only if you're shooting a non-moving subject.  Image stabilization (IS, Canon, in-lens), vibration reduction (VR, Nikon, in-lens), and shake reduction (SR, Pentax, in-body) become less useful when shooting a moving subject.  The way to freeze a moving subject is with higher shutter speed, not IS/VR/SR.  And the best way to achieve higher shutter speeds:  faster glass.  ISO performance helps, but faster glass is better.  So, I'd buy the body separately, without the kit lens(es), and add a faster lens (or lenses) through separate purchases (see below).

Also, note the Costco kit lenses are EF-S lenses, which means they'll only work on APS-C sensor bodies.  That may or may not matter to you, but it's something of which you should be aware.  If you decide to upgrade to a body with full frame sensor, these lenses won't work properly.  Probably not a huge deal, you'd just sell / replace them when you sell / replace the APS-C sensor body with a full frame sensor body, but...it's worth considering.

I'd go for a relatively inexpensive and fast 35/50/85mm (f/2.0 or faster) and a reasonably fast ( preferably fixed f/2.8 ) wide to short-tele zoom (say 17-50 or 70).  I think you'll find the wider aperture easier for getting shots of the forthcoming wee little one when the light's too dim for the slower kit lenses above.

would it be worthwhile to save on the body and get better glass and upgrade the body later < snip > ?

Yes yes yes!  Glass glass glass.  Bodies will come and go.  Glass, generally speaking, will last a long time.  There are APS-C-specific v. FF-compatible lens decisions to make as you build your lens map, but most likely you'll keep and use glass longer term than bodies.  Also -- just as with audio recording gear -- behind the source, recording environment, and person operating the gear, good glass is the next most important component in the gear chain (kind of equivalent to mics for audio recording gear).  I'm guessing the CaNikon guys would say the same.

Most (if not all) SLR's from Canon and Nikon CAN take amazing pictures

I would add Pentax to that list.*  And no, I'm not interested in getting into a fan-boy brand-war.  :P

so, what did you end up buying, Brian?

I bought a Pentax K-10D + 50mm f/1.4 and a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 to start.  Over time, my gear collection has evolved -- just as one might expect -- though I've maintained the same body (for now; I'll eventually upgrade to a K-20D for somewhat better ISO performance, but it's not at all a priority).  I currently have:

LOVE the Pentax FA 35mm AL f/2.0 ($225) and FA 50mm f/1.4 ($190) primes.  The IQ is simply fantastic, and their large apertures offer low light / shutter speed / depth of field advantages.  I don't zoom-with-my-feet as often as I should, but when I do...the results with these primes are simply fantastic.

I use the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm XR Di LD f/2.8 ($270) mainly for active family scenarios.  I rarely need to go wide in such situations.  The zoom helps for framing mobile kids, and its large-ish f/2.8 aperture helps in less than ideal lighting situations and keeping shutter speeds up.  If the lighting really stinks, I'll either break out one of the primes and zoom-with-my-feet or throw on an inexpensive, but decent, hotshoe flash.

The Pentax SMC FA 28-105mm IF AL f/3.2-4.5 ($150) is a quite small, but very nice, walkaround lens.  Much better image quality than one would expect out of a $150 lens.  I wish it was a bit wider on the short end and had a larger aperture throughout, but...if I really need/want to go wide, I break out the Sigma 15-30.  And if I need wider aperture, I break out one of my other lenses.  Basically, it's my favorite walkaround lens for reasonably good light, given it's good IQ in a small, lightweight package.  Since it's 1/3 to 1 stop slower in the 28-75 range than the Tamron 28-75, if I had to unload one of my lenses, this would be the one.  But I'd sure miss it on walkarounds in decent light.

The Sigma APO 70-200 EX f/2.8 ($670) offers very good image quality at a very reasonable price.  From what I've read, the older model (which I have) provides better IQ than the newer DG and/or HSM models.  There are plenty of slower, inexpensive consumer-zoom options on the market, and it may be worth trying them out to see if you enjoy shooting longer focal lengths.  When I first starting dabbling in longer focal lengths, I started off less expensively with my...

Vivitar Series One 70-210mm f/3.5 v2 ($85), since replaced by a v3, f/2.8-4.0 ($180).  Manual focus, but real nice image quality.  Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference in IQ between the v2 and v3.  (Doh!)  Aperture ring allows for aperture adjustment using on-camera controls and simple single-button metering, rather than manually adjusting the aperture ring itself and futzing around with a multi-step metering process.  This telezoom is significantly more compact than my Sigma, so if I want telezoom focal lengths but need to go mobile and/or don't want to schlep the fairly beastly Sigma 70-200, I take this along.

The Kenko 1.5x teleconverter (TC) is just okay, not great, and I don't use it very often.  Still, I'd like to take advantage of longer focal lengths occasionally, so I'm in the process of trying to track down used and reasonably priced Sigma APO EX 1.4x and 2x TCs.  These TCs, in combination with my Sigma APO EX 70-200 f/2.8 will satisfy my longer-focal length needs for the foreseeable future.  Unfortunately, I missed the ball on buying new, and prices have sky-rocketed recently...including the used market.  I simply don't have the need or desire to spend BIG bucks on significantly longer primes and/or more expensive, large-ish aperture, longer telezooms, hence my focus on TCs.

FWIW, all of my lenses are FF-compatible.  This was a quasi-intentional decision -- many of my FF-compatible lenses are faster, cheaper, and/or in many cases provide higher IQ than their new, APS-C-specific counterparts, and it prepares me for the off-chance Pentax eventually produces a FF body...though it appears they're more committed to upgrading their digital medium-format 6xx line before, if ever, switching from APS-C to FF sensors.  (Those interested in APS-C v. FF issues may wish to read Equivalence).

Finally, my K-10D.  The K-10D is a bit noisier than the other Pentax bodies at high ISO, but I haven't found it terribly limiting.  If I were to buy again today, I'd get a K-20D, as prices are starting to drop since the K-7 was released and it offers somewhat better ISO performance.  Both K-10D and K-20D -- like most, but not all -- Pentax dSLRs, have in-body shake reduction.  This was a significant selling point for me (in addition to finding Pentax, overall, a better price/performance value).  While perhaps not quite as effective as in-lens shake reduction, I have in-body shake reduction on -all- my lenses and I'm not paying for the feature over and over again with each lens.  To be fair, shake reduction -- whether in-body or in-lens --  really only becomes critically helpful (though not a panacea) at longer focal lengths, but I find it a nice-to-have even on shorter focal lengths, e.g. in low light.

1  You should know that Pentax lags a bit behind CaNikon in a number of areas -- some you may find important, some not.  Only you can decide if you find these areas critical (obviously for me they were not):

• new lens map diversity (though every Pentax K-mount lens ever made still works on all of Pentax's bodies -- some better than others, some with adapters, but they all work -- and despite what some might suggest, I believe there are reasonably high quality / value off-brand lenses available; of course, there are plenty of stinkers, too, but that's the case with on-brand lenses, too; given the broad Pentax lens universe, plus off-brand options, limited new lens map diversity is not a concern for me)
  • frames-per-second (not an issue for me)
  • video features (BFD, I couldn't care less)
  • latest and greatest high performance bodies targeted for professionals (again, doesn't really impact me)
  • the N-segment metering and AF race (not really an issue for me...my K-10D 11-point metering and AF work just fine for my purposes, though the K-7 supposedly improves Pentax's metering and AF significantly)
  • the megapixel race (doesn't affect me, as I don't produce REALLY BIG hardcopy prints)
  • low-light AF (it seems CaNikon offers better performance on this issue, but in my shooting I don't find myself missing shots as a result of additional hunt & seek, except on rare occasions)
  • full frame v. APS-C sensor (doesn't bother me in the least;  again, those interested in APS-C v. FF issues may wish to read Equivalence)
  • and some say ISO performance (but I don't buy it...IMO Pentax simply takes a different approach:  their bodies perform very little in-camera noise reduction, which preserves detail, while CaNikon both employ significantly more in-camera noise reduction at the expense of detail -- personally, I'd rather have very little noise reduction done in-camera since I feel I have better control in post-processing)

Okay, bottom line for me...I view Pentax as a very high value proposition:  very good performance at a very reasonable price.  Do they consistenly rank high, along with CaNikons, in the spec-wars (e.g. MP, N-segment metering, etc.)...no.  But remember:  a dSLR package is simply a tool.  Most dSLRs with reasonably well selected on- or off-brand lenses will take excellent pictures.  IF, of course, the person behind the viewfinder is capable of doing so.  Frankly, my personal skills represent my biggest challenge in achieving quality photos, not any of the "limitations" of my Pentax gear.

Phew!  Anyway...best of luck in your decision, and let us all know what you decide.  :)

Edit to add:  Attached zipped lens map XLS in case anyone wants to re-purpose for their own lens collection.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:20:14 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline AAR.oner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
quality-for-price, i'll back up the Pentax K20D as well...excellent cam!

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:58 AM »
KeeponGoin'

Are these lenses worth a damn?  If you're shooting in good light, they're OK.  Low priced specials that will take nice family photos.  Build quality is plastic and optical performance is fair.  These lenses will not work on Full Frame cameras.  They will frustrate you indoors with "action" kids...your shots will be blurry unless you apply very strict hand holding techniques.  But it could be done.  Concerts?  With 1600 ISO in the XSi, you're going to get decent results, especially in Black and White.  But this is where these lenses will hold you back.  Even shooting at 1600 at 3.5 (wide open) you'll have to be getting the action at 1/30th in good conditions, most likely.  The 55-200 is even slower.

Go to a camera store and hold the Nikon D60 and a D300.  Do the same with the Canon models you like.  Pick up a couple other brands mentioned here.  Nothing is more important than 'the feel' in your hands.  The most important decision you may make right now is which brand/lens type you prefer in your hands.  It's not marriage, but it's still a commitment!  You will change camera bodies many times but want to hang on to good glass.

Consider used equipment.  There are LOTS of people who need to own the latest camera gear and sell off older camera bodies.  Typically, these cameras don't have a lot of actuations (shots) on them and come with all the accessories plus a memory card.  Nikon D300 - $1150 - 57 shutter activations is one ad I just saw on Nikonians.org   (The seller just laid down $2400 for a new D700...57 shots in the last six months, yeah, he needed that new camera body BAD!)  Used lenses don't decline in value nearly as much, but there are plenty of deals out there.

As noted by others here, when you buy used lenses, try to get "full frame" models.  If you upgrade to a FF camera years down the road, your glass will work.

Finally, the "kits" being sold at Cosco are designed to be very low priced introductions to DSLR photography.  The gear is less important than the photographer.  You will learn to work around it and get better pictures by working within the limits.  Focusing on your photography, forcing yourself to take multiple photos a day and create projects that will help you develop is probably more important than all the hardware advice you're getting here.  It's good advice, but it's not the whole 'picture' by any means.

There are some great examples/exercises that you can try for free at the Digital Photography School.

http://digital-photography-school.com/

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Damn Brian  That is one heck of a manifesto!

That said.  If you are thinking of buying a DSLR read Brian's manifesto. 

He gives GREAT advice and it is very well reasoned.  I'm a Nikon shooter and would recommend going with Canon or Nikon simply because they are the big dogs.  Nothing wrong with Pentax or any of the other cameras out there from an image quality standpoint, but there is just so much more Canon/Nikon gear available it makes good deals on used equipment easier to find and also has a more stable and robust used market when you get ready to upgrade or sell.  Also, if you do get more serious the big boys offer a few options/features that others do not and also tend to be the manufacturers pushing the technological envelope. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
Brian and others (esp. Brian) - thanks so much for the advice. 

i am looking now at used gear... going to go to a few local shops and see if there are any deals to be had. 

not really going to rush into this.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »
FWIW I know the Nikon market best since I'm a Nikon guy and there are some good deals out there on D200s which are very nice cameras.  I've seen solid used bodies going for 6-700 often with a grip included. I'd also encourage you to look at the Nikon D80 & 90, they should be in you budget if you find a good used or refurbished body.  D300's can also be found for reasonable money because of the release of the D300S which essentially adds video, but probably are still out of your $1K budget, particularly if you need glass.  The Canon market should be similar as they just announced the 7D and the 50d has been out a while.  I just can't speak to the going prices for gear that should be in your target range like 20 & 30Ds or the XTi.

A Coworker was right about where you are 4 months ago, I steered him to a D200 and he picked up a Tamron 17-50/2.8.  He really wanted to go with a kit lens but I convinced him it was worth the $$ to go with quality glass.  He wound up right around 1K with the body, lens and a spare battery.  He is also so glad he sprung for the better lens and he is really only just getting in to Photography and can notice the difference.  You will love the flexibility and creative control you gain with a DSLR.  It brings photography alive again.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
I just went through the same process.  I kept on coming back to the Nikon D90 over and over again, so that's what I bought.  So far I love it.  I only have the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR2 lens which I love for general use.  I have a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX on the way thats been on backorder since mid July.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com