Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: where to start with dSLR purchase?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: where to start with dSLR purchase?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Damn Brian  That is one heck of a manifesto!

That said.  If you are thinking of buying a DSLR read Brian's manifesto. 

He gives GREAT advice and it is very well reasoned.  I'm a Nikon shooter and would recommend going with Canon or Nikon simply because they are the big dogs.  Nothing wrong with Pentax or any of the other cameras out there from an image quality standpoint, but there is just so much more Canon/Nikon gear available it makes good deals on used equipment easier to find and also has a more stable and robust used market when you get ready to upgrade or sell.  Also, if you do get more serious the big boys offer a few options/features that others do not and also tend to be the manufacturers pushing the technological envelope. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
Brian and others (esp. Brian) - thanks so much for the advice. 

i am looking now at used gear... going to go to a few local shops and see if there are any deals to be had. 

not really going to rush into this.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »
FWIW I know the Nikon market best since I'm a Nikon guy and there are some good deals out there on D200s which are very nice cameras.  I've seen solid used bodies going for 6-700 often with a grip included. I'd also encourage you to look at the Nikon D80 & 90, they should be in you budget if you find a good used or refurbished body.  D300's can also be found for reasonable money because of the release of the D300S which essentially adds video, but probably are still out of your $1K budget, particularly if you need glass.  The Canon market should be similar as they just announced the 7D and the 50d has been out a while.  I just can't speak to the going prices for gear that should be in your target range like 20 & 30Ds or the XTi.

A Coworker was right about where you are 4 months ago, I steered him to a D200 and he picked up a Tamron 17-50/2.8.  He really wanted to go with a kit lens but I convinced him it was worth the $$ to go with quality glass.  He wound up right around 1K with the body, lens and a spare battery.  He is also so glad he sprung for the better lens and he is really only just getting in to Photography and can notice the difference.  You will love the flexibility and creative control you gain with a DSLR.  It brings photography alive again.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
I just went through the same process.  I kept on coming back to the Nikon D90 over and over again, so that's what I bought.  So far I love it.  I only have the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR2 lens which I love for general use.  I have a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX on the way thats been on backorder since mid July.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com